Malossi CDI Unit

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

WeeMan
Spree
Spree

Malossi CDI Unit

Post by WeeMan »

Hi All,

As any one tried one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VISION- ... 43c0b16359

Not sure I would buy one and not sure they would be of any use or benefit but wondered if someone had tried it?
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Malossi CDI Unit

Post by LMH »

I have 2 malossi CDIs, and while both work the one you are currently asking about requires some knowledge of the UK dio wiring and acquiring the pigtails for the plug ins(both cdi and harness side) and wiring them with the corresponding pin locations.
I have not had time to do a long term review on either of the CDIs but they do work and start up was much quicker than the posh/blue/orange/red/or 3 different "performance" cdis. Ive found with the blue and black performance cdis that they dont start up correctly due to the preset advanced curve is too high. Another fellow tuner has done some extensive research and diagnostics of the various CDI units on 4 and 2t and found the same.
The Malossi CDI I believe has a start up map and curve specific to our style engines rather than being generic. Also being as they do have multiple options (2 CDI for the elites) it could be true that the maps are different between the old short port af05 compared to the longer af16 timing. I dont know as I havent had time to test them both side by side with the same set ups. I know that the dio at a point became DC cdis also and am concerned that it may be a dc cdi and wont start if I dont have a battery installed. Only way to find out is to remove the bat and try to start it.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Malossi CDI Unit

Post by LMH »

As you can see here in the photo the pins are not the same locations or pig tails. I used a turn signal pigtail from a kymco zx50 and a head light plug from the zx50.