Best bore-up kit for AF18E motor?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Best bore-up kit for AF18E motor?

Post by Rabbi »

Hi I just found this forum... I've been looking for something like this for a long time but in New Zealand we call "Spree"s "Nifty Fifty"s so I was searching for the wrong name.

I've bought a 1990 Dio SR motor (AF18E) to put into my Spree. Before I put it in I want to also add a boreup kit... either 68cc or 72cc.

Does anyone know which kits are the best and where I can buy them online?

A local shop sell KN Kikaku kits and I've been told they're pretty good, but I'd like to know how they stack up against other brands.

Thanks
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i would say the best kit by far is the polini corsa kit, but at 200 its a expenseive kit, its a 72, and i hear nothing but good things about it, idk if they have them in stores in any ware but hawaii, even there i hear they stopeed makeing them... am i right?
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

Thanks, a guy from Hawaii actually told me the same thing.

Have you heard of the KN Kikaku brand?

Also, have you heard of anyone putting an AF18E in a Spree? It would be good to get advice from someone that's been there and done it before.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yea i put one on an aero, which is a bigger vertion of the spree
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

Cool, you might be able to help me then...

My spree had an AF05E engine (I think they all do?).
I removed the AF05E last night and was going to connect the AF18E today, but it turns out their engine mounts aren't even similar to each other.

Did you encounter that same problem, or does the Aero have the same mounting as the Dio?

What engine does the Aero come with as stock?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

same, a little diff, but i was given the engine while it was in a spree, so that it looks like to me was they welded rhe elite mounting bracket on it.
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

yeah I think I'll need to do that as well..

could you check something on your AF18E for me please (or maybe you already know).

can the mounting arm be removed from the motor?

on the AF05E it is held onto the motor with one long bolt, but on the AF18E it seems as if it cant actually be removed.

do you know if it can be removed?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

it took a sawzall to get it off, but yea it can
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

MySpree wrote:it took a sawzall to get it off, but yea it can
Could you explain how you took it off please?
I need to take mine off so I can weld the Spree mount onto it

Thanks for all the help mate
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

well it un bolts, but my bolt was stuck, liek big time, not even my BIG impact wrench could get it off, nad when i pulled the trigger my hand tended to spin around sometimes. so i took a sawzall to the nut and cut it off.
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

Thats exactly what's happening for me... I spent an hour trying to get it off and then decided maybe its not supposed to be able to come off.. ??

It's strange that there's a bolt with a nut on the end of it, but the mount almost seems to be welded onto the bolt.

After you took the bolt's head off how did you re-attach the engine mount later?
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

MySpree wrote:yea i put one on an aero, which is a bigger vertion of the spree
the motor mounts are different from a spree to an aero and the aero mount can be driiled out to accomidate a dio motor. As for the spree the mount will not work with the dio motor.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

my old spree with a dio motor

nitro burner's spree

My motor was mounted with an 87 motor mount cut andf drilled out to fit. As the look of nitro's spree looks like an s motor mount was welded on to a spree motor mount after being cut. The second was only a guess caues the wqas the motor sits in from the rear fender unlike mines and I had the welded mount before.
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

thanks for the help hrnytrtlsgsxr, do you know if the original AF18 mount can be removed from the motor?

Like you say, I think I'll have to cut the original AF18 mount and weld the AF05 mount onto it... but before I do that the AF18 mount needs to be removed and I'm having trouble doing that.

Thanks
Rabbi
Goped
Goped

Post by Rabbi »

OK it seems the concensus is I have to remove the mount by cutting it.

Do you guys usually cut the bolt, or do you cut the mount further along so you dont have to mess with the bolt. Messing with the bolt would make it difficult to re-attach later wouldn't it?