Honda spree engine swap, no weld?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

appleboy64
Noob
Noob

Honda spree engine swap, no weld?

Post by appleboy64 »

Hello again, thanks for all the help on the last post, I am back with another question.
I have been looking around and it seems that an se50 engine swap into the spree is not extremely complicated, just some parts to buy and a hole needs to be drilled.
If I was to do one of these se50 enigne swaps, what mounting parts and such would I need?
Also, if I were to do an se50 engine swap about how fast would the new modded spree go?
Final question, doubt it is even possible as it is much larger but has anyone tried putting something like an elite 80 engine in a spree?
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Honda spree engine swap, no weld?

Post by martynkim »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28653

Or just a little way down the page.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

There's also a thread stickied at the top of the build section that is about a spree to se50 swap.
appleboy64
Noob
Noob

Post by appleboy64 »

I saw the stickied post in the build section however I had a couple questions about it,
I saw this list
se50 or dio rear wheel (not sure if thy are interchangable
se50 or dio brake cable
se50 or preferably a dio carb
a new kickstand
6" 5/16 bolt and 10 or so washers that fit real snug and a locking nut
somthing to use for a shock mount 1 1/2 inches off the frame by the voltage regulator
so i was wondering if i really needed all of this or its just recommended, i only ask that because I have seen motor swaps mentioned as you just take out the old mount put a new one in, put on the new motor, wire the wires by color and reposotion the suspension.
However all this makes it seem more complicated
the questions i have are, do i really need a new wheel and kick starter and why does it mention getting a carb shouldnt your engine come with one? Also why the brake cable?
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Well...

Brake cable won't reach so you'll need a longer one.
Not all engines will come with a carb. (or a rear wheel) Will be handy if it does!
Kick stand will be too short after motor swap and with the larger rear wheel and tire so the scooter will fall over unless you modify it or get a bigger one.

Not sure what the bolt and washers are for b/c I haven't read the thread but I'm thinking of doing one now as well if I can find a se50 mount.
appleboy64
Noob
Noob

Post by appleboy64 »

I'll be on the look out for a mount as well so if you find one leme know haha
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

I have a few questions for the experts though...

All it refers to is the se50, I assume that means a engine mount from a 88-93 sa50 won't work?

Is the engine different as well? I thought the later Aero's, se50, & early sa50's all used the same af05e?
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

sa50 mount is different to se50 .The se50 mount just needs to be trimmed .The factory stand will not fit with this mount setup .Aero af05e has a 4 bolt manifold and a 2 bolt manifold.The 4 bolt is better just because its easyer to fit upa aftermarket manifold and carb.You need a se50 or sa50 rear wheel they are interchangeable if you didnt get one with your motor a spree wheel wont fit a variated af05e
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Cool. So then, case wise, any af05e will work? I have several af05 engines I just wanted to make sure they were all basically the same.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

so long as they are variated
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

>> Is the engine different as well? I thought the later Aero's, se50, & early sa50's all used the same af05e?

The un-restricted version of SE50 came with the tallest stock gearset of any AF05's and AF16's.

It gave about a 9% overdrive from other models. One member upon finding that out said - 'so that's why my brother's SE50 always beat me on my Aero 50'. With SE50 gears, a guy can state his powertrain is 100% Honda, yet has a sleeper :)

We've compiled transmission gear sets at the link below:
Wiki Link
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

That's funny because I saw that page that showed all the gear ratio's and saw it was different than all the rest but never put two & two together that that's why my se50 is the fastest out of all my hondas. (still not faster than my Jog though) Gears are next on my list though!