99 elite SR Stock cylinder and gears (49.7mph gps verified)

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 99 elite SR Stock cylinder and gears (49.7mph gps verifi

Post by LMH »

At 52 I felt it was running out of legs, another 6 mph may have been possible but Id like to know how and what I need to do to it. Veedub has quite a bit of experience with these engines for certain. Just gotta catch him while hes around for the full story.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Just got my 01 elite sr back from graphite9 who by the way is a great guy to work with. Had him install
Naraku sport variator
Polini 6.9g rollers
9:44 final drive gears.
Prior to this my SR barely wanted to do 32 on flats and felt lacking all around. Now at half throttle on flat it pulls 35 and will peg out fast at full throttle. Hit 48 on a marginal down hill and cut the throttle back because of traffic.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (154.58 KiB) Viewed 5801 times
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
W8kbrder
Goped
Goped

Post by W8kbrder »

LoveMyHonda wrote:Im debating on putting the 9:1 in it, I really like the take off it has with stock gears tho. I only have a handful of hours to mess with it right now. Im in town for 2 days and during the ride yesterday it started raining. When pulling into the drive she started to bog out so hopefully its from the rain, if not hopefully it was the cylinder ha.
I swapped out my stock gears for 9:1...I didn't notice any difference (loss) in the take off over stock. Only the top end was soooo much better.
2001 Honda Elite S (De-restricted)
|Prodigy Variator w/ 9g weights|De-restricted Exhaust|Oil Pump Delete|1.5k Center Clutch Spring|2k Clutch Grabbers|.88 Main Jet|2nd Airbox Tab Removed|9:1 gears|49mph GPS confirmed|
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Over looking Denver on 84th ave and federal. She does great in the thin air.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

My 99 purple is way faster than my 01, Im going to go ahead and build another af16e and swap it out with the 99 and put all the 99s stuff on the 01 and see if I get the same results. Ive had quite a few elites and seriously my 99 seems like its the one the factory put some extra love into when assembling or its the fact it was owned by a farmer who only cruised around his farm dirt roads for the first 486 miles. It was a really good break in I think.
Street Sweeper
BMX
BMX

Post by Street Sweeper »

W8kbrder wrote:
LoveMyHonda wrote:Im debating on putting the 9:1 in it, I really like the take off it has with stock gears tho. I only have a handful of hours to mess with it right now. Im in town for 2 days and during the ride yesterday it started raining. When pulling into the drive she started to bog out so hopefully its from the rain, if not hopefully it was the cylinder ha.
I swapped out my stock gears for 9:1...I didn't notice any difference (loss) in the take off over stock. Only the top end was soooo much better.
That is good news, I just ordered a set of 9:1s myself for a basically stock '97 Elite S. I too was a bit concerned that it would be too much for 50cc.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

I swapped 9:1s on my 186 miles 01 and its a real dog now. If I can make it to 35 before a big hill it will maintain it, if I'm going uphill from a stop I'm going to have some angry cagers behind me. Downhill it's sweet. With stock gears it pulls the front wheel, 9s it pulls a lot of strain on my engine and cvt. Currently the 01 has a malossi cdi, hrc variator and ramp, malossi belt, malossi white center spring, malossi wing bell and a prodigy clutch. Stock cylinder, jet, air filter, air box(tab cut), and exhaust. Top speed is around 53 downhill. 35-38 on flats. Needs more power.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

With 45 miles on the odometer, Flash 3 did 49 - OK, Downwind... - with stock everything but belt cavity contents and 9:1s. Acceleration wasn't a problem except for 0 to 10, nor were hills. Maybe yours is down on power, but I can't think why with 186 miles. I was using 7g weights, if I remember correctly, but all else including airbox was untouched for a week or 2. The higher revs yielded from the light variator load (stock rollers were 9s) compensated for the taller legs, again except for 0-10. Is it possible the Malossi CDI timing curve is too aggressive for the stock mill?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi LMH.
try some lower weight rollers like 7grams. check the belt make sure that seats all the way up on the rear clutch. you need a little bit more miles on the belt to seat correctly, and motor is still on its break in period. The more miles the faster.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

It's using 7gs, belt is a malossi, funny enough 0-10 isn't the problem it's after. The 25-35 takes forever, then 35 on is impossible some times. I feel it needs a bit more power the trans does all it can it seems. It's physically hotter also after a ride than usual. Seems like its just working too hard.
The malossi cdi works wonders on any displacement or port design as I use it on my completely stock 49cc kymco hitting 55 and the 99 purple 50mph that's in this thread. Ill try the polini cf reeds and 87.5 jet when I get more time.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi LMH. sounds like the Contra spring.
do you know what RPM IS on the rear center spring?
The malossi cdi has a very high rev limited that's why your getting more speed on the other scooters.
Last edited by ped on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

No rev limit on any cdi in the us or any aftermarket for what it's worth ha. The higher rpms is from a better curve with more advance. It's a nice upgrade.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi LMH.
If your motor revs up initially and then the rpms drop as you excel, you need a heavier torque spring. :imo:
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Too high of a rpm spring on a stock cylinder will limit your top speed. It never loses its engine speed, it just doesn't have the bite to match the bark. I'm running the malossi white currently in that engine and the white is a heavy as a stock cylinder can handle with out losing too much top speed. I run the yellows on my stock geared bikes flawlessly.
When I get time it'll get more power with a couple bolt ons. Gotta love 2 strokes, change the pipe and change the power band.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If it's hot, is it because it's revving too high? My first inclination apparently was incorrect in that case. The stronger center spring may simply need heavier-than-7s rollers to match its tension?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH