Help with my '94 Elite 50S build

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

johnny248
Elite
Elite

Help with my '94 Elite 50S build

Post by johnny248 »

Hello,

I am a new member here and am looking for some guidance/advice to my next build.

I currently have a '94 Elite 50S Dio with a CMR 72cc big bore kit, oem carb with bigger jets, boyesen reeds, technigas expansion chamber pipe, cdi, cooling fan, variator, and bigger torque spring.

It ran well with that setup, getting close to 70mph on the GPS, but I want to re-do it with better parts for better performance and reliability.

I'm looking to add a new bbk, manifold and carb, possible new variator and/or clutch setup, and possible high speed gear set.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Re: Help with my '94 Elite 50S build

Post by johnny248 »

Listed below is my plan, this is where I am looking for help and recommendations. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't mind spending a little bit more for better quality parts.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

New big bore kit. I'm looking mainly at the Polini or Malossi kit. Contessa, Corsa, or MHR kit. I've read online that these are of much higher quality than the Taiwan kits. I'm not 100% sure if I want to spend another $100 or so on the Polini kit vs the others on the market. This is one area I could use help. I definitely want the most performance, but reliability is also important. If there are other brands that you might think I would be happy with and still get great power, I'm completely open to suggestions.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

New intake manifold. I'm not quite sure if there is a difference between these. They all seem similar.

New larger carb. Not sure what size I need, but the 28mm seems to be popular and some people sell a kit with carb, manifold, air filter, etc.

Possible new variator and weight kit. I have one know, but I noticed that the weights are getting flat spots, and I'm not even sure where to begin with weight sizes so I was hoping there would be a kit that gets me started off in the right direction. I've also looked at the performance clutch kits which look interesting. Not sure what is good and what is not, or if I even need one. Again, spring options have me confused so I was looking for a kit.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I was also considering a high speed gear set, but when I was originally buying parts, the guy told me that it would definitely increase your top speed, but could cause issues with acceleration and if you live in any hilly areas.

And last but not least, a new drive belt. The Malossi kevlar belts look good? not sure if there is a longer lasting option or not.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I'm eager to get this bad boy running again. It was a blast to ride.

Sorry for the multiple postings, but it was trying to flag my message when I typed it all in one so I had to slpit it apart.

Thanks guys!

John
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

You sure you were getting close to 70 mph with the parts you listed?
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm
Sparrow
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Downsouthdio wrote:You sure you were getting close to 70 mph with the parts you listed?
I had my GPS mounted to the bike and it would do 65 regularly and I was able to get it to 67 once or twice on flat asphalt.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Here are some pictures of what I had on it. I can't remember the details of what weights I had, what kind of variator it is, or what the torque spring is.

~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dude, what happened to that piston?! I assume engine failure ended your quest for 70?
Malossi Iron, MHR and Corsa slugs come out looking as shiny as the day they were installed. Get something Italian, or plan on re-doing it soon...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Lol well.... What happened was I had the oil injection zip tied wide open and while I was riding it, the zip tie came off and the oil injection lever shut so it basically lost lubrication and trashed the piston. The rest of the motor seems fine. I installed the original bore and piston back on it and it ran around fine. This is one reason why I want to upgrade the carb and just eliminate the oil injection and premix my fuel.

With some advice from other members, I'm pretty sure what I am going to do is go with the Polini Corsa, manifold,and a polini carb.

I'm pretty set on that at the moment. I want a higher performance bbk and thats why I don't think I want to go with the Malossi kit. The MHR kit looks really good, but I think I'd prefer the iron cylinder for longevity and rebuild-ability over the alloy Malossi kit.

Once the engine stuff is complete, I still need to figure out the drive train. The last build seemed to work pretty well with the upgraded variator and rear torque spring, but I'm leaving toward upgrading the clutch assembly and a new variator setup. In still lost as to what to go with. There are quite a few options for clutches and variators. I was hoping someone could help with that and also advise on what weights would work well with my engine power curve and rpm range , as well as what a good choice for clutch would be along with the proper clutch springs and torque spring. I'm a little clueless as far as the CVT setup on these machines.

And finally, I've considered replacing the gear set. Again, there seems to be options for gearing. I definitely want a good top ebd , but don't want to loose too much acceleration and low end torque.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I weight roughly 170-180 lbs. Some of the Italian stuff is so expensive, I just don't know if it is necessary? Is it a bad idea to purchase something like this?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181415033833?nav=SEARCH

It "looks" like decent stuff, but who really knows?
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

You truly get what you pay for. Will that stuff work yes. Will it perform nice, smooth, or last as long as the malossi and polini gear no most likely not. But to each his own some people don't need the high end gear for there daily riders. But for something I'm trying to do upwards of 70mph on I like to know I have quality parts that arnt gonna burst into pieces at the top end. Italy and Taiwan are pretty far apart on earth and in quality control for scoot parts.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

the old bore i see on the piston has metal shaving in the crank case, you dont put a new bore kit into... new cylinder/ piston will make it worst to seize.. , once motor runs, oil with metal flakes splash everywhere on moving parts, crank, crank bearings, cylinder kit...
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Stock gears and 67, ha. Not saying you're a liar but no one else has ever done 67 on stock gears on an af16. You're about 10 mph faster than my corsa powered af16 that does 13k rpm with stock gears so if the shoe fits. I have a video up of the engine I'm quoting so there's no dispute on the validity of stock gearing and 13k rpms. It only netted 57 mph. So you would be around 16k rpm to reach 67 mph. I run a very very expensive cvt set up as well, not just a torque spring and the rest stock.
Also a cmr bore has such low port timing you will never ever hit over 9500 rpm with any power. Especially with a technigas. Never. I've owned 3 cmr bores from VT cycles.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

If you want honest answers on how to build a proper 65 mph bike be honest with us. There's guys with gears, full Trans set ups, proper big bores, proper larger Intake, proper carb, and exhaust who are barely hitting 65. But it is possible with a stock carb just not a great option.