corsa running cold

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

corsa running cold

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

after getting the PG long on my corsa my bike is running cold. running a 32 slow and 100 main in my 24 polini carb and just cant seem to bring the temps up. I know its good that its running cold but I feel its running to cold and would run better if it ran warmer. runs great on flats and bogs up hills around 40 mph and full throttle there is bog. Cruising temps at 40-45 mph temps are around 200 degrees. highest temp Ive seen has been 289. and that was with a 102 main and 35 slow. just trying to wrap my brain around this. found lots of info on BBKS that are running hot but nothing on this. I will move the clip on the throttle needle up when I get a chance and lean it that way. trying to get anyone elses advice on where I should go from here. It has all the symptems of runnning rich but its crazy to think that it is running that rich with a 100 main in it. thanks for any advice.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: corsa running cold

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Yeah thought bout pulling the cover will check the slide.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

pulled the filter cover off and noticed it was a bit dirty so I pulled it out and found a slice in it. so I checked the carb slide I can hear it hit bottom then there is a tiny bit of play on the throttle handle. opened it all the way up and it goes up passed the opening. not sure how high it should go. will get a new filter from G9 before I run it. did find some minute debri on the carb cone opening.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Post by cruzingratiot »

do you have a tachometer what RPM does it bog at ?
What contra spring ?
what gram rollers ?

sounds like the rpm is not in the powerband of the pipe / motor combination
when you are getting the bog
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

No tach yet! I know I need to get one. 5.5 g rollers blue polini contra yellow clutch. And I don't know s*** about powerbands and all that. I just know what I feel and hope yall can help me interpret it.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

Do a plug chop to confirm rich condition. What are you using to check engine temps?
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Trail tech temp gauge. Will do a plug chop as soon as I can.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

cruzingratiot wrote:do you have a tachometer what RPM does it bog at ?
What contra spring ?
what gram rollers ?

sounds like the rpm is not in the powerband of the pipe / motor combination
when you are getting the bog
I have to agree with this. Your clutches are not gearing down to allow the engine to stay up in the higher rpms.

As for your throttle. When twisted wide open, it should allow the slide to just open wide open.
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Post by cruzingratiot »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:No tach yet! I know I need to get one. 5.5 g rollers blue polini contra yellow clutch. And I don't know s*** about powerbands and all that. I just know what I feel and hope yall can help me interpret it.
Polini Blue center spring ?
what is it considered +1000 +1500 +2000

in my corsa with the pg short
6.9 gram rollers 8.5 gears
I used polini 3g blue clutch springs PN 245.072
which are the next step higher than what you are using
malossi yellow contra 297042Y0

just like anything parts wear out
after about 500-800 miles I would get a bog at mid throttle
the cruising rpm at 30-40 mph would drop about 1500 RPM from the spring wearing out
I would replace the contra spring and it would run great again

Polini 3 spring info and part numbers
polini 3g 3 spring set 245.085
green 4,000-5500 yellow 5500-6500 blue 6500-7500
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Sorry for the noob questions but when you say it's not gearing down to keep the engine in the higher rpms what do you mean? Trans tuning is new to me and just trying to understand all this.
G9 has some yellow contras coming in and I'll pick up some blue clutch springs. Yellow is what I had on hand. Of the top of my head the blue contra is 10% over stock not sure what means per say. Will try to find out more info on that when I get back to shop. And will look into getting a tach. Thanks for the info guys this is all a learning curve for me. When it comes to powerbands and rpms and where I need to be I'm just not experienced enough with these 2 strokes yet.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Do you recall which color springs come with the 3g clutch?
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Rollers set the RPM at which the motor runs
The torque driver spring sets the speed at which your rear pulley opens and closes.
The clutch springs set the rpm at which your clutch turns the rear wheel.

Your powerband is when your cylinder kit resonates in harmony with your pipe. So, that rpm range is where you want to be. Most commonly for elites it's between 8.5-11k RPM. The tachometer comes in handy cause you can see where your power is instead of just feeling it. You can put a number on it. Then reference your roller weights to set your motors rpm and you can visually see when your clutch begins to grab. The torque driver spring is constantly opening and closing the rear pulley. Your rollers might be just right, but if you have too stiff a torque spring you'll bog because the rear pulley cant open fast enough. Too light of a torque spring and it cause a symptom similar to too light of rollers.
I get confused with the torque spring, so I usually just stick a good mid to heavy stiffness in and tune around it.

Bottom line, the bonus to the cvt is that you can always be in the same rpm range that your motor makes power at. Unfortunately a bog can be caused by many things all feeling very similar. Too heavy rollers. Too stiff torque spring. Too rich or lean carb. Too light clutch springs. Its all very confusing.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

The 3G clutch comes with green and yellow. Yeah it's a bit confusing and will definitely do some reading on all of this to be able get a better grasp on it. It has gotten better since I put those new springs in for sure and I know I'm getting close. Will pick up a tach and see where I'm at. I've been meaning to just always seems to be something else that is more important to just getting it running.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

well after spending some time reading today I found this article. http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic82033#1145946 actually the best info I have found so far on the whole cvt. after putting the Blue contra on I lowered my rollers down to 5.5 and I think that was to low if my understanding is correct. though its still runnning cold I was noticing that it started to fall on its face around 45 on flats at 3/4 throttle. so Im thinking I need to add some weight. I also saw found my throttle needle was a wee bit bent. not sure how it happened but it is. gonna try to replace it and add some weight to my rollers and see where I am at. just not sure how much weight I should add. will hopefully get some time this weekend to work on it. the rains are a coming to nw next week and they might not let up for awhile.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

id get a scooter buddy to ride it and get a second opinion. check your plug as well. run it at 3/4th throttle where its bogging and hit the kill switch; not letting go of your throttle position. try to keep it in the poor running spot for a quarter or half mile and hit the kill.

if your rollers were too light there would be no effect of throttle position on the bog. It would simply overrev past the powerband of the pipe all the time.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars