jetting question

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

DeanP
Spree
Spree

jetting question

Post by DeanP »

If I can close off my idle mixture screw without it stalling, does this indicate that I have too big a pilot jet? It is also boggy up to half throttle. I adjusted my rollers from 6.9 to 5.6 to 5.0 and now it moves better, but it darts up until I go past 1/2 throttle.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Re: jetting question

Post by DeanP »

Too lean then I should up jet thr pj then? I have temp gauge,only went as high as 212f. I throw a 38 in...
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Mines the air mixture type,pre carb inlet side.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

I have a Polini CP23 in which I do believe is an air mixture type. If I turn it all the way in, it idles a bit lower (200rpm lower) than when I turn it out past 2 turns. The rpm only increases overall by 200rpm. My idle is set to about 1850rpm. I put in a 38pj tonight and will try it out tomorrow evening. Did I answer your question? Hmmm?
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Ok, I had been doing some reading tonight and I noticed that the jet needle is from 1/4 to 3/4, so I went outside and I took mine out and it was set to the lowest setting (bottom clip position) (got this carb used). I think that may have been the problem. We'll see tomorrow night.
BTW: I'll keep the 38pj in to see it affect.
Thanks for the help so far.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So that helped, but it was still farty between 1/4 to 1/2 throttle but I drove around anyways to see if it would clear it self some how as it warmed up more. I only reached 283f. So at the end of the night I pulled the carb again and noticed that the choke cable body at the carb was loose, so I wrenched that tight. I also increased my rollers to 3x5 and 3x 5.6 as it was a bit revvy. I'll try again tomorrow night to see if the choke housing was causing a problem.
I did check my throttle slide and it was about 2mm, but that could change tomorrow cause it might be too high an idle now. I guess I should of taken more care when I installed the carb and made sure everything was set correctly before I started on this venture. lol
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Ok so the choke housing assy was part of the problem. Getting better,less farting. I also reinstalled the 34pj just to start where i was originally. But now if I turn the idle mixture screw in to fully closed, it speeds up. Do I up jet or down jet?
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

ok good info. I actually reinstalled the 34pj last night just to start where it was before I started all of this. With the 34pj in tonight, when I closed the air mixture screw, the rpms increased. I'll install a 36pj tomorrow.

Note: Just to clarify, the rpm difference of 200rpm was before I made the discovery of "bottom clipped needle" and "choke housing loose". After I corrected those, I reinstalled the 34pj to start fresh again. Starting at scratch again.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So I installed a 36pj and that worked. I still had some fluttering from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle so I moved the clip up one and solved that issue.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Ok thanks I will. I'm still breaking this engine in and haven't gone thru one tank yet. Just wanted to make it somewhat rideable to break it in.
I'm thinking that until I go through two tanks of fuel that I should keep it no farther than 1/2 throttle.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Copy that. Thanks for the help.
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

This thread sure reads weird like Dean's talking with himself lol. Replying poster banned/erased?

Just perusing old threads.