Speed up SE50P?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Speed up SE50P?

Post by nightcruiser »

Hello,

I have a SE50P that came with the contents of my garage when I purchased the house, I was told "I rode the he!! out of it in college until to motor seized". I got it running a couple years ago after sitting in my garage (without a spark plug!) for over a decade. After fixing the kick start, electric start, new air filter, spark plug , and putting a DEEP clean on the carb (took a Berryman's dip) I got her running like a champ!

...and by running I mean I could almost run this fast! LOL Initially I was only getting 25-27mph, with a bigger back tire and aftermarket variator I can get 30-35mph these days.... but I would really like to be able to hit a reliable 35+ so I don't find myself with traffic behind me, so I've been thinking of going full on de-restricted.

From what I understand I would need to change the carb jet, de-restrict the exhaust and do something with the oil pump? Is there something I missed?

So my questions are, what kind of jet should I use and where can I get one?

Is there a way to modify my exhaust or will I have to replace it?

What should I do to make sure the engine is getting enough oil with things boosted up like this?

Is there something I need to do in the air box to let her breathe better?

and finally, what would you recommend for a good spark plug? I find the scooter runs better/faster in hot weather, should I run a hotter plug?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
patthesoundguy

Re: Speed up SE50P?

Post by patthesoundguy »

If your scooter runs better in warm weather its probably running lean! I would have a browse through the board a bit using the search function you will find a lot of the info you seek pretty quick. If you don't modify your scooter you don't need or want to let it breathe better, Honda designed everything very well and modified intakes don't give you any more performance.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

OK, thanks for your reply. I have searched through the forum and found some info but in long threads that seem to be a process of discovery themselves.

At this point I am seeking to do the mods to the engine to de-restrict it (having already changed the tire and variator). I found a thread showing how to mod a restricted muffler (drill out the washer like part that restricts the air flow) but it wasn't a SE50P, so not sure if that would apply or not?

I posted this thread because I don't want to do half the job and end up screwing up the scooter, so I prefer if someone could at least let me know if I have hit all the topics to do the job right.

I would prefer to buy a new jet for the carb (and emulsion tube?) rather than drill out the one I have, in case it doesnt work out I can go back to the original. Or do I have to replace the carb? IDK where I can get that stuff, or what the right size jet would be for the unrestricted SE50?
spark_ee
BMX
BMX

Post by spark_ee »

Here's a link to the HONDAPARTSHOUSE.COM web site and it shows a #82. I don't know if that's going to much good for speed.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... carburetor
1985 Aero NB50M - Stock
1986 Spree NQ50 - Stock
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

I'm thinking that is the jet I already have? When I look at the wiki on derestricting the SE50P it shows the "SE50 A" as the resrticted model, and "AA" as the super restricted Iowa model. The chart shows the #82 jet as the super restricted jet while the non-restricted and restricted models both show the same #85 jet? So I am confused...

The WiKi goes on to mention the variator ramp (which I have swapped with an aftermarket model and did gain some speed) and the exhaust. With the jet being the same on the restricted and non restricted model I am wondering if just the exhaust is limiting me now? I wish the wiki would show a pic of of the restricted area on the exhaust instead of just the pipe (which pretty much looks identical on the outside as far as I can tell)

On the exhaust, what I am expecting to see is a washer like restriction near the end where it mounts to the motor. The plan was to attack it with a stepper drill bit and then smooth it over with a dremel or file. Not sure if this can be done though, 'cause the comments I found about this were on a slightly different scooter.

So, again, I was hoping someone that has experience with this particular scooter could help me out. Because I am still left wondering if I have the right size jet already, whether I need to do something with the oil pump, and whether modifying the exhaust is something that can be done or if I need to source an unrestricted exhaust?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

have you down lode the service manual ??????
if so chaper 4 tell you the jets !!!!!
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

I have the manual for the restricted SE50P and it tells me about the restricted jets, I want to know what jets to use to make this scooter un-restricted.....
I guess I should look for the manual for the un-restricted model of the scooter and see what it says about jets.
I had just thought somebody here could answer these questions pretty easily, I guess I am on my own.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

82 jet will be unrestricted. That engine doesn't have a ton of potential but you can swap the gears to the af16 style if I remember correct. That way there you can put 10:1 or 9:1s in it. Malossi makes a big bore kit and out of production exhaust.
If you're looking for the restricter in the exhaust header just look down the end coming from the engine and you'll see its a much smaller hole than the header. Drill out that spacer.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

its 85 the service manual is on here to down lode..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Oh wow that's a big one. My af05e had a 82, maybe it was restricted. It was a 89 lx. Thanks swim!
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

For the af05 to af16 gear swap you need an entire af16 trans. Including cover, rear axle, countershaft gear, and then your aftermarket gears. It's an expensive swap unles you have the stuff laying around or an af16 your willing to steal from. About $100 plus gears. I did it on my af05 was sweet to have 9:1s with my 65cc polini kit thing was a rocket to 50mph. If I remember right downsouthdio has some af16 transmissions for sale.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

Yah, I'm still confused about the jets, 'cause the wiki says the non-restricted and restricted SE50 both have the #85 jet (with the IOWA restricted model being the only one with the smaller #82 jet). So it would seem the muffler would be the part that is restricting things. I just read something that said the pipe itself is the restriction on the SE50P muffler and you can't simply drill out the washer restricter on the end and get where you need to be. So I am still confused about those two main topics.
And further, I am confused about the oil pump. I've read that you should just lock it open full tilt, or run pre-mix fuel in addition to the oil pump. I would prefer not to run pre-mix, and so this leaves me wondering what the difference is between the oil delivery system for the restricted SE50 VS the non restricted? Is there an adjustment that can be made to the existing oil pump, or does the non restricted model have a different oil pump?
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I believe there is a difference in the pipe headers as well as a washer in the end of the restricted models. There isn't an adjustment for the pump. There are a couple different pumps thought. One is just a constant flow that doesn't change and one is throttle driven. As well as one of the af16 pumps send more I think.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
nightcruiser
Spree
Spree

Post by nightcruiser »

OK, thanks for that info. I was hoping the washer in the muffler was the only difference, but if the header is different I'm not gonna be able to drill out the washer and run the same carb jet as the unrestricted model and expect the same performance. I guess I would have to drill out the washer and get multiple jet sizes and experiment until I find the jet that works out with the semi-derestricted muffler.

On the oil pump, thanks for that. I had it out at one point when I was first working on the bike a couple years ago (when it was DOA), I THINK it had a cable on it (assuming from the throttle). Sounds like I need to figure out if it does have a cable, and then change the oil pump to one of these models that push more oil.

I've been really happy with the way the scooter runs, other than always having cars on my tail when trying to get around town. I would really hate to do some half * mods and burn it up. I was hoping to figure out what I need to do, gather the parts, and then take it apart and do the mods... since I have to take all the body parts off to do this work I kinda was hoping not to have to rip it apart and do discovery then source parts etc. I might dig into it this weeked I guess, at least see if the oil pump has a cable from the throttle and prob drop the muffler to take a look at the pipe and look for that washer restricter etc. I had the d*** thing off last fall when I did the rear brakes but I didn't think to look in the end of the pipe while I had it off...

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me out, I will report back if I make any findings on my own, and if anyone has additional tips/tricks for me I am interested to read.....

Oh, yah, one last question on the jets... It seems there is no way for me to take the SE50P and just convert it over to non restricted without sourcing a real unresrticted muffler, which seems unlikely. So it's prob not going to work out for me to just order the jet from the non restricted model. I would like to order a series of jets in sizes ranging from 83 to 86 so I can do a trial and error tuning on the carb to match my modified exhaust. I am wondering how I will find jets that will work for this carb in those sizes? My worry is I will order jets that wont fit and waste my time and money.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

there two finale drive is it 10/1 or its 11/1?????
swimmingffree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...