2000 Elite S Build - "Mr. Grey"

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: 2000 Elite S Build - "Mr. Grey"

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Flash9 has exceeded 8300 RPM and 50 MPH withnpeak temps well under 350. It's a Polini Contesta iron jug with stock carb, jetted 90, and a stock SR pipe. No hiccups at 300 miles. Ms. Wheelperson loves the low end.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I can hit 10,800 with no problem with the fabrizi chamber on the malossi cast iron. Power drops off around 8500.
Your limitations of rpm will always be your pipe. The size of the chamber dictates how well your engine scavenges. Also it dictates rpm. Stock pipe can not support over 9500 rpm and produce power if any. Stock pipe falls on its face near 8500, which coincidentally is when the cast iron bore falls off. If your pipe scavenges too well and you're using the stock carb you can have issues with heat on decel or if the pipe does not scavenge well enough it can leave too much unburnt gases in the cylinder and slow air speed and create heat.
A pg short or v8, or similar size chamber is perfect for the cast iron. I love the wild lion with them but a pg short is just as fun.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Great input, 1m8s. Ah, but the goal was to please Ms. Wheelperson, and she's digging the power right off idle. The one time I saw 53MPH was with just 50 miles on the bore, and I'm sure the limit is 55 or better. My point was that the temps on Trail Tech indicate 335, 327, with her reaching no higher than 48mph on our errand rides. It's fine, and it's paid for. Plus I'm pretty sure she'd object to any greater noise than it already makes. BTW, if you need convincing on Honda's skill quieting down the carb noise, just pop off the airbox lid. The sound level about doubles!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

Yep, the stock carb with airbox really keeps the noise down. Unfortunately I haven't found an airbox that works well on larger carbs, but the mod bonesv did to fit a dio carb with airbox looks very interesting. I need to research that a bit more.

Would it really be worth the performance improvement verse the added noise to just put on a Technigas/v8/Wildlion pipe? I know it's quiet or performance, choose one, but I want it all!
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

I swapped clutch springs from Koso 1k RPM to Koso 2k RPM. The 1k felt like stock, the 2ks appear to engage around 3100 RPM fresh. Will see where they settle in at. Feels ok as they prevent off the line lag, while not too stiff to give engagement jumping. (Funny that the forum censors the word I originally wanted to use that was j+erking.

Played around with weights more. 54g (all OEMs) gives a nice cruising RPM but hinders low-end a bit. 41.4g gave decent acceleration through mid-end at around 7500 RPM. Top speed still around low to mid 50s.

I might want to try out a mild/quiet pipe. Trying to convince the wife about a second bike I can sport up for out of town fun. Not winning that one so far..

Edit: I originally said 35.4g but it was actually 6x6.9g for total of 41.4g.
Last edited by Rancher1 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

I did that when I first got the bike, except put it on the gas grill on max, then occasionally used compressed air to blow through it pushing out the smoke. Kept doing that until it stopped smoking, maybe about an hour and it wasn't too heavy. The bike was a stock SA50P the original owner never messed with and 2k miles so wasn't overly concerned the pipe may have been getting high oil deposits. The Spree pipe I cooked smoked like crazy for a couple of hours. I should have used a respirator blowing that one out.

I'm considering trying bonesv idea of the Dio mani/19mm Keihin carb/airbox combo but the parts look hard to come by, expensive, and have to be ordered overseas. Have you considered carrying a Dio airbox combo package? I feel there there's at least a few guys here that would be interested in a larger carb that supports a quiet airbox.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Rancher1 wrote:
I'm considering trying bonesv idea of the Dio mani/19mm Keihin carb/airbox combo but the parts look hard to come by, expensive, and have to be ordered overseas. Have you considered carrying a Dio airbox combo package? I feel there there's at least a few guys here that would be interested in a larger carb that supports a quiet airbox.
Freaking great idea! He has adapters for the stock manifold already. A del carb sized adapter for the phbg 19 would allow for various stock air boxes to be used. I'm really shocked at how well a 19mm del does on kitted bikes.
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Post by Dbroogs »

Any update on your build Rancher? Finally finished all the problems on my scoot (until petcock valve tears than thats gotta get fixed too ha) and am enjoying the final tuning
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Stock setup: 6g rollers, 90MJ
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

Haven't had a chance to run a positive pressure test. Still using the moped for errands etc. and watching temps. For running around town the temps are fine. If I'm doing WOT on long stretches it does creep up to uncomfortable numbers. Not many miles on the new bore. The trans is setup to hold ~7800 RPM through accel and it seems to be comfortable there. I know it's not using its full potential at the top end with the 8.4 gears.

I got a Technigas R pipe from a fellow forum member but haven't had a chance to throw it on. I'm out of town now for a couple of weeks so it's going to be a little while before I can try stuff out. If it's too loud for my needs I'll post it up for sale here.
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

On another note, I ran some Maxima 927 Castor oil. I'd describe the smell like burning sugar with a little nylon in it. It doesn't have that sharper nostril bite of regular oil so it's slightly more pleasant, but not by a lot. It does smoke a lot more than Maxima Scooter Pro synthetic when coming off the line from idle. I think I'm going to mix 50/50 Maxima Super M with 927 castor and split the difference.
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Going to be doing about the same build, using the Malossi cast this spring. Any reports back on how things are going a few months later?
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
Rancher1
Spree
Spree

Post by Rancher1 »

Sorry for the hiatus. The Elite is doing great for my purposes. It's used for light duty almost everyday. I haven't checked WOT head temps in awhile as I've been a bit busy and haven't done any fun runs. I should probably do that to see how the bore is doing after some heat cycles. I know I can bring temps down with a bigger carb, which I'd totally do if there was an airbox to keep noise down.

I still have a Technigas pipe from fellow forum member I've yet to put on.

Occasionally I check Craigslist for SA50s in my area - wow they are super rare. Only saw two and both were terrible shape with no papers. The 80/100/150ccs are abundant.
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Post by Dbroogs »

Keep updating this thread if you figure out a quiet airbox for a larger carb. I am in the same boat currently.

My elite is doing great as well. Those malossi casts with stock are fun.
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Stock setup: 6g rollers, 90MJ