Gear installation problem

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Gear installation problem

Post by Cmoped9 »

I ordered new gears for my elite, had the one gear pressed on as it needed to be, I just went to put it all back together. Everything is put back in the correct place, problem is when I tighten all the bolts down, the countershaft (that the clutch attaches to) locks up completely, gets really really hard to turn, with the clutch installed I can barely turn it by hand. When all the bolts are lose everything spins freely, is this some common thing? Did I miss something ever so slightly? Gasket is good, gears are good, bearings spin freely, I'm stumped.
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
Wheelman-111

Re: Gear installation problem

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Go fish your COUNTERSHAFT, which is the stubby little shaft that spins backwards, out of the trash. Pull the cover back off and set them on the workbench. You may find that the Aftermarket item is just a hair-and-a-half taller. Unless you have the tools to machine the C-shaft a bit shorter, or deepen the socket in the case cover, the solution is usually to order a second thin steel thrust washer to install where the thicker plastic one lived.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Alright thank you, I still have the other, have to check, just a regular thin pan washer of some sort will work? Do I replace the plastic one or add it onto it?
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

You want two of the metal washers and no plastic washer. Go to the honda dealer and buy another one of the metal washers you have already.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Cmoped9 wrote:Alright thank you, I still have the other, have to check, just a regular thin pan washer of some sort will work? Do I replace the plastic one or add it onto it?
Yea but it needs to be of a quality stainless steel such as the one on the other end of that c-shaft. Same thickness as well. Just do as suggested and get another one from Honda dealer. Look up the part number for your particular model and year. http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... ansmission
It's #11 in the diagram.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Alright sounds good, I'll go pick one of those up, from what wheelman said, it sounds like replacing the plastic one with metal? But I should stack the metal one on top of the plastic one I'm assuming?
2000 Elite SR
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

1man8scoots wrote:You want two of the metal washers and no plastic washer. Go to the honda dealer and buy another one of the metal washers you have already.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Alright thanks again for the clarification, I'll do that today.
2000 Elite SR
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

It doesn't matter what year or make you use. It can be a 85 aero or 01 elite, all that matters is you use two of the metal washers that go on the counter. The washers on an ab07, af05, af16,af18 will work. Only non negotiable factor is it must be the metal one from the counter shaft.
You use 1 metal washer on each side of the counter, that adds up to two metal washers total used. Zero plastic washer, none.
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Oh alright, well I'll have to do that then, two washers on one side wouldn't have made sense, since the gear is too long I'd be wanting a thinner washer. I'll try it later and see how it works out, thank you.
2000 Elite SR
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

I too ran into this exact same issue. Bought a second thin metal washer and still, when i bolt everything down the shaft that holds the clutch is completely locked up and wont spin at all! Help...Help.......Help...
Last edited by dustflo on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My scooter is this color, and I like it.
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

From reading on the forum, some people said a bearing might not be pressed in all the way? Also my new counter shaft gear and old gear are the exact same height. I know sometimes the new gear is just a tad taller and that's why people order a second thin metal washer and use it instead of the plastic one, but again that did not help me....
97 Elite SA50
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Are you using the correct gasket, or assembling with Goo? The thickness of the gasket is factored into the end-clearances. Without it, the cover squeezes all the shafts lengthwise and no spin.

If the gasket is in place and the problem isn't too-thick washers or a longer countershaft, it's going to be challenging to measure the shaft Protrusion and socket Depth, but there's the problem. A bearing that's not fully seated or a shaft that isn't pressed in all the way could do it. Look for Crud in the shaft sockets. Spin all the bearings themselves to be sure they all spin freely. Also check your Axle gear is inserted with the "dome" facing out. Its an easy error to make. Don't ax me how I know... :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Are you using the correct gasket, or assembling with Goo? The thickness of the gasket is factored into the end-clearances. Without it, the cover squeezes all the shafts lengthwise and no spin.

If the gasket is in place and the problem isn't too-thick washers or a longer countershaft, it's going to be challenging to measure the shaft Protrusion and socket Depth, but there's the problem. A bearing that's not fully seated or a shaft that isn't pressed in all the way could do it. Look for Crud in the shaft sockets. Spin all the bearings themselves to be sure they all spin freely. Also check your Axle gear is inserted with the "dome" facing out. Its an easy error to make. Don't ax me how I know... :)
Correct gasket, pretty sure yes.
Assembling with goo, no.
I'd say the bearing that holds the back crank shaft that the rear wheel goes on sticks out a tad, problem? Normal?
Crud in shaft sockets, nope.
Bearings all spin freely, yes.
Axle gear with "dome" facing out??? Not sure what that means, oh do sir elaborate:)
97 Elite SA50
dustflo
Goped
Goped

Post by dustflo »

I even tried to press that bearing with a c clamp and it didn't want to move, so I didn't force it anymore because I'm not sure if that's how it suppose to be, and if so it would be a huge problem trying to get it back out to normal.

I JUST WANNA TO DRIVE MY SCOOTERRRRRR!

Love modding and hate it at the same time...
97 Elite SA50