84 Honda Aero 125cc Motor Swap Possibilitys???

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

RyanosAero
Noob
Noob

84 Honda Aero 125cc Motor Swap Possibilitys???

Post by RyanosAero »

Hey,

I was thinking of attempting a motor swap on this old scoot that came stock with the 125cc 2 stroke engine a good motor for its time
but was thinking about trying to put a Gy6 150cc motor on the ole areo and was seeing what you guys thought and see if any 1 has attempted this, its just the nh125 is hard to find parts for and the parts that are avalible are so expensive lol, I own a Longbo 150cc scooter with the Gy6 motor "Chinnesse" but the parts are more readily avaliable and alot cheaper and good motor with the right up keep, but anyways what do you guys think?
patthesoundguy

Re: 84 Honda Aero 125cc Motor Swap Possibilitys???

Post by patthesoundguy »

If it were me I would hold onto the original motor until it was no longer worth it to keep it going or its not repairable. That's me though. No reason that a gy6 wouldn't be a good replacement though and if you want to do that I say why not :-) you are right about parts being inexpensive for the gy6. Heck a whole motor is only a few hundred dollars :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
RyanosAero
Noob
Noob

Post by RyanosAero »

Well with what I found with the gy6 if you replace a few parts with the gy6 and maintain the maintence there actually not a bad motor but im on the edge with the 125 because the motor it self is actually in good condition but the young boys that owned it before me tried to get more power out of it by cutting off the muffler and jerry rigging the carb...... well I found a guy that has actually adapted another carb on the 125 motor and has got it to perform well and I can get another muffler fairly cheap so I might just try and keep this motor and make it work, were I live at scooters are getting alot popular and I have been buying them super cheap $100 to $200 and fixing a couple bad parts and there good working machines and ive got alot of people coming to me with there scooter or motorcycles needing help some im trying to learn all I can about whats worth fooling with and whats not.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I put 9,000 miles on an Aero 125 in 3 years,
then my team of 6 riders took that Aero for a ride that lasted nearly 22 hours straight before it seized at 973 miles.
I still don't know why it seized...possibly the oil injection could have clogged or stopped.
Anyway, I bought a parts bike (Aero 125) for cheap and transplanted the engine.
Scooter is running great again, and I'm only out $75.
I would dig a hole and bury that GY6 in it.
Stay with Honda...it's not as hard to come up with parts as you may think.
My opinion... :urban:
and btw, I have spare parts for sale in this thread.>> viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31792
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Side seal leaks, poor quality cvk carbs, noisey engines, swing arms that snap, is there anything else to love?
I'd stick with the nh125 engine.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Put a GY6 in it, heck put a GY7 in it, sell me the left over garbage scrap NH125 engine.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.