1986 spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

st.louisramsfan
Noob
Noob

1986 spree

Post by st.louisramsfan »

Got a good deal on a scooter. Have worked a lot on mopeds. Used the search engine, didn't really get what i am looking for. Currently goes 29 mph with me (250 lbs) on it. Wondering what is best to do to improve. Clutch springs out of the hole? please make a recommendation, i don't really know where to go. what about variators and rear pulleys, do you guys mod or upgrade those?

Anyone use the MLM exhaust i seen on treatland? what improvements did you see

Lastly, i did upgrade my honda PA50II to a 65cc and improved a lot of the bottom and top, is there a reliable upgrade out there?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Chris from St.Louis area
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Re: 1986 spree

Post by Johnniespeed »

Some stock Sprees only go 28, most do 30-32.

The sticker on the body says max weight is 180 lbs. perhaps you should recheck the speed with a lighter rider to see if it is at a normal speed. I don't even know you and I'm cracking wise already. LOL.

Sprees only have one speed, they don't have a variator there is no torque multiplication. There are a few things you can do but the most common modification seems to be installing the DIO engine, since it has a variator and tons of hop up parts available.

The guys here will soon chime in with good suggestions, many here have modded the Spree, so they know their stuff.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
st.louisramsfan
Noob
Noob

Thanks Johnnie, I work construction, used to giving sh1t back and forth....
Thats why i included my weight, because i am comfortable its getting as fast as designed with my fat * on it
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or thread or something....
kamikazecassidy
Noob
Noob

Post by kamikazecassidy »

My stock spree completely cleaned and tuned only hits about 30 with my 160lbs on it. I've heard about quite a few mods such as big bore kits for sprees but I hear you only get a couple extra mph from them. These scoots really just don't go that fast. I could be wrong but from what I understand, after much research, the mods are more of a cult following than a practical application. Obviously other than completely replacing the engine as suggested above.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

I really like riding Spree's, actually I think I love riding Spree's, I have done more than a dozen , that is bringing a barn find back to almost perfect condition.
My boss has a scooter fleet of about 30 scoots now, I maintain his and mine. Got tired of only doing 34 MPH. After much thought about building up a 49 cc I was going to buy the DIO engine and build it up, but instead came to the conclusion of starting with the biggest two stroke scooter Honda made, so I found a 125 Aero, became dissatisfied with its speed and modified it, became frustrated with the tiny gains from mods, and bought a four stroke 250 Elite. I weigh 180 and can easily hit 70 go up big hills at 65, with a peak speed of 77, no wind slight downhill.
I am fully convinced that a stock engine is much more reliable than a modified engine.
As much as I like Spree's the Elite 250 is now my choice when I ride. I have put almost four thousand miles on it this summer, it is reliable, quiet, smooth.

st.louisramsfan
Noob
Noob

Johnniespeed wrote:I really like riding Spree's, actually I think I love riding Spree's, I have done more than a dozen , that is bringing a barn find back to almost perfect condition.
My boss has a scooter fleet of about 30 scoots now, I maintain his and mine. Got tired of only doing 34 MPH. After much thought about building up a 49 cc I was going to buy the DIO engine and build it up, but instead came to the conclusion of starting with the biggest two stroke scooter Honda made, so I found a 125 Aero, became dissatisfied with its speed and modified it, became frustrated with the tiny gains from mods, and bought a four stroke 250 Elite. I weigh 180 and can easily hit 70 go up big hills at 65, with a peak speed of 77, no wind slight downhill.
I am fully convinced that a stock engine is much more reliable than a modified engine.
As much as I like Spree's the Elite 250 is now my choice when I ride. I have put almost four thousand miles on it this summer, it is reliable, quiet, smooth.

How many miles are on your elite 250, I just seen one for sale, had 22k miles, that seemed like a ton....
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

23,000 and climbing fast, I ride between 200 to 300 miles a week, weather permitting.
This thing is faster than the modified Groms.

st.louisramsfan
Noob
Noob

This one is $950.... Is your still original, or have you had to rebuild?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Elite and Reflex 250s are very understressed, putting out a mere 18 ponies at 8500 RPM. They really will run at full throttle until the fuel runs out. Mine has only 4000 miles, but Reflex Yahoo Groups is full of reports of owners with 40,000, even 70,00 miles without a rebuild. You do have to adjust the valves periodically but that's it. Mine uses no oil either.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Just Joel
Goped
Goped

Post by Just Joel »

Back to your original question, I'm running an mlm pipe on my stock 84' and it has more or less transformed an otherwise bla ride into something borderline awesome lol the pipe turns on at around 15 and takes off from there. Stay in the power ban and this things a blast. The 48 bbk is on the bench and will be in soon so we'll see where that takes us. Honestly tho, I'm not unrealistic with my speed expectations or power hungry for more, I'm just enjoying the eclectic fun the spree provides and curious where I can take the factory motor.

I've also cut the cover and swapped an elite clutch. Not only has that solved all my worn stock clutch issues but also gave me spring options and the 2k springs are a killer combination for this bike
84 Honda Spree... The plastic at least.
st.louisramsfan
Noob
Noob

Just Joel wrote:Back to your original question, I'm running an mlm pipe on my stock 84' and it has more or less transformed an otherwise bla ride into something borderline awesome lol the pipe turns on at around 15 and takes off from there. Stay in the power ban and this things a blast. The 48 bbk is on the bench and will be in soon so we'll see where that takes us. Honestly tho, I'm not unrealistic with my speed expectations or power hungry for more, I'm just enjoying the eclectic fun the spree provides and curious where I can take the factory motor.

I've also cut the cover and swapped an elite clutch. Not only has that solved all my worn stock clutch issues but also gave me spring options and the 2k springs are a killer combination for this bike

Thank you, that's the info I was looking for. Can't wait to hear how the bbk does
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I did the testing for MLM before he released the spree pipe. I have his spree pipe prototype. It rocks! I ran it with the big bore kit after running stock with it. It was wicked with the bbk and 21mm carb! If you have a spree and like it and you don't need anything faster buy the pipe it transforms the spree into something way more fun. Add a bbk and enjoy it even more. There is no replacement for a variated motor but the spree with that pipe is a whole new ballgame.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock