Need Some Help GEAR RATIOS

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dakine
Elite
Elite

Need Some Help GEAR RATIOS

Post by Dakine »

So first question. Does the exhaust port look untouched? I started chamfering the ports and the exhaust port just looked bigger then usual for some reason.. Also what do you guys think about raising my port timing using a Stock Stroke Crank? No point in it?

As for my second question I was going to run 18tx39t(7.4:1) gearing since I already have the Set. But I wanted to try and get closer to 6.8 gearing since thats what I was using on previous motor.
I was looking at the Gearing Chart in Tech Documents and it was hard to understand for some reason lol..

What I want to know is if I used the small Gear 18t and used a different Big Gear? I have 1 big Gear that has 41 teeth and another that has 40t.. What would the ratio be if i used 18tx41t

Thanks Guys.
Wheelman-111

Re: Need Some Help

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Can't say if that port was carved by anyone, be it Signori Polini or some previous interloper. In general and only up to a point, raising the port will increase the RPM Sweet Spot, while killing low-RPM juice. If you're going with 7.4s, you might do well to have some torque to get underway. If your using a 47mm slug, 6.8 is reallytoo tall for a 72. Not that it can't be done, but no way the variator will max out and belt slip at mid-position will hurt top speed, not help it. Flash 3.26 could barely pull 7.57s with a tailwind.

The number of teeth on gears is not the right way to match a set. The diameters will be wrong. With precision machining, manufacturers can adjust tooth size a little, but the gears must come from the same set to work together properly, or you're taking a big chance of shrapnel in the gear case.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

It's a stock port. Swirl marks and initials are the give away.
I run 6.89s on one of my fabrizi and on a mhr. Both are on kymco zx50 engines. They are extremely ported and I don't have a ton of low end power and actually don't have belt slip. But I will say this, it takes an unbelievable ammount of time to get up to 40. After 40 it they shoot to 60s and plane off for a while. I've accomplished 86 on 6.89s and a mhr. I'm going for 100 with the fabrizi but alas no time this year. I even swapped back in the stock zx50 gears just so I can ride it around.
6.89 gears are only for top speed runs as it is far to dangerous at slow speeds.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The thing is that a Fabrizi could run 74 with excellent, wheelie-prone take-off using 8:1s. And that was with a pipe that held the revs down a bit. So why would you want taller gears that struggle to crawl up to traffic speed? For bragging rights, maybe, but 7.57 is as tall as I would go for a daily rider, and only if my commute included highways.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

Ok just wanted to make sure about that exhaust Port lol. I could measure it, I finally got me a 6 inch digital measure.

I usually run 7.4s on my motors that I use daily and to do some stretches.. But the fastest motor I built that was clocked in by Moped Company on one of there cruises was at 82mph and 84mph and had 6.8 gears ..

See I was fine with losing bottom end because this motor im building is for Top Speed, But im trying to Build another spree for it. Since I currently Have a Super Dio Zx and an Sa50.
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

Also If My Zx Drive Face, and inside of my aftermarket clutchbell got surface rust from sitting for about 3 months would they be alright to use if I cleaned them up? I could polish them smooth but I dont think the clutch would be able to grab good on the inside of the clutchbell but im not sure how the belt would do on a very shiny surface on the drive face...
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Use a bead blaster after using scotch bright pads. As long as there is not pits you should be ok.
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Re: Need Some Help GEAR RATIOS

Post by Dakine »

Yea no pitting, im about to have my friend sandblast my Magneto/Flywheels and slightly lighten 1 but he cleans them up REALLY well and polishes them with his lathe I think. I shouldve just took the deal you where gonna give me Graphite lol.

I'll probably have him do a few Drivefaces and clutchbells. I just didnt think that the clutch would be able to grab the inside of the clutchbell if it was polished on the inside as well ..

Besides the Aftermarket Lightened Drivefaces do you guys think theres better Drivefaces then the Zx One?
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

So they only way to use one of the big gears to get a ratio that they dont sell I would have to buy set of gears just to use the small gear with the big gear that I have? Because im sure the Darker Colored Gear Is from Ruima.
superfast1234
BMX
BMX

Post by superfast1234 »

Look, install your gears then post if you don't like it, you can modify the trans then when your happy post it.