tuning 26mm Polini Carb for 72cc Polini Corsa

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

solid808
Spree
Spree

tuning 26mm Polini Carb for 72cc Polini Corsa

Post by solid808 »

So Ive been reading a lot of builds here on the forums. So Im going to try and find out how it goes. So I got a fresh 72cc crosa, 26mm polini carb, new contra yellow malossi, new malossi blue clutch springs and going to tune and see how it goes. On my 28mm oko I was at 58 pilot and 138 main. Right now I am starting at a base of 55 pilot for this 26mm polini and its 4 stroking still. So Im down to 50 pilot and still a little 4 stroking and 2 turns out on the air fuel screw. Im going to go down a little lower tomorrow and see how it goes. I still have a 135 mj to start and to work my way down. But it idles perfectly. Cant wait to get this thing dailed in. so far this carb is awesome.
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
Malossi Fly Clutch w/ blue
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
52much
Spree
Spree

Re: tuning 26mm Polini Carb for 72cc Polini Corsa

Post by 52much »

:coolcruise: I have pollini carbs on most of my elites. Most main jets are a little over 100. I am still working on the correct pilot. I am interested in what you settle on for pilot. All of the pollinis idle fine. I did not have that luck with the OKOs.
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

graphite9 wrote:sweet build! Did you raise the cylinder up and adjust ports property for the longer stroke?

The polini uses way less fuel. Im going to venture to say you will between 112-120. If your one or two sizes too large, it will barely run. It doesn't make sense, but thats how it works. I'd drop down to a 120, and work your way down. I'm running a 108mj on a ported corsa, and most guys here, sea level on 24/corsa are 104-108.

Yes I put enough gaskets for the longer stroke. Thanks... Ok I tried 130 ran it and checked the plug soaking wet. wow... I put the smallest jet I have which is a 125 and ran better but plug is still wet. d***. I got to order some jets... Going to your website to see what I can get. Oh yeah left the 50 pilot in there seems to be alright . But that main jet lol
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

graphite9 wrote:pilot will be too big too, but start with the main adjustment
d*** never going to doubt you again. You know when you have been running a 28mm and running big jets and just going down to a 26 and so big of a jump in jet sizes.amazing.a little scary but plug chops don't lie.. I just ordered some jets from your site. Hopefully gets here on saturday so I can try again lol.
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

graphite9 wrote:I did the oko game, and went through it all with the carbs. Jets will go out in the am, they will be at your door soon. Spread the word about the carbs across the island to rid the oko infection :) Report back, I bet your bike will idle better, start easier, and run cooler. Half the time you dont even have the needle/idle/air/idle screw, its spot on out of the box
Ofcourse... If I can get it dailed in and run it and see for myself I will spread the word. I already tell people who ask me when they see my bike where I get my parts from that I get it from you. I like how you research parts and parts are readily available for people. And you respond to questions really fast. I know there is a lot of shops here but I rarely go there only for oil and get advise. I try to work on my bike myself to learn what to do when something goes wrong. I can tell you I did own a Kehin back in 2000 and it was good too. Oko was alright when it stayed in tune.Your right on being a real big gas guzzler. But this Polini just looks really well made. I hope I can get it dailed in and ride with no problems. Building this moped is fun and sometimes frustrating lol but all in all gives me something to do after work.
Other then that I appreciate all the feedback and help from you and from others on this forum.
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

graphite9 wrote:solid, you'll find this is an awesome forum. You have to pick and choose who you take advice from, there are a few trolls under the bridge, but they seem to be dorment right now :). I would suggest the next time you do a bore kit on the mini, to send the cylinder out and have the port timing/duration adjusted. Raising the deck height is only half the work required. You will not fully be able to take advantage of the mini, without adjusting porting. That being said, as long as your compression isn't too high, and your squish band is within limits, your safe. Alot of guys dont adjust properly and end up melting pistons. I personally don't know how to set it up right, I send it to 1man8scoots. Keihin/mikuni/polini and others are top shelf carbs, Can't go wrong.

On the pilot, I would expect you to be in the low/mid 40's. You jets go out today, let us know how it responds!

On a side note Im coming to your island this weekend, and all next week for vacation. if you need me to bring anything down let me know :)
I know what you mean.. lol. Got the jets in this morning. I put the 120 and sounds and feel pretty good can't full throttle yet due to new bore. Now the pilot... the 50 is too big as you stated. I think I'm going to try a 45 and see if it stops 4 stroking when I throttle it. and Ill work form they're.
And hope you have a awesome vacation here. Its hot and waves at north shore yesterday was 55 feet.
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

graphite9 wrote:thanks. man can't wait! run the 42 pilot.
Update...
Tried running the 42... I think it didn't like it lol.. I was almost half turn closed to make it run good on the air fuel screw... went to a 48.. didn't have time to ride it.. will try tomorrow... so I'm at 120 main and a 48 pilot.. to be continued.
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
89hatcher
BMX
BMX

Post by 89hatcher »

hey howd the 48 pilot work for you? I got a 28 mm polin carb and trying to get my pilot right. my main jet is at 128 right now and pilot is at 48. when Im cruising I watch the temp creep up. past 305 im not used to it creeping up. im used to it just staying under 300 haha.
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

Oh yes.. On my 30mm polini an at 42pilot an 135mj on a 120cc
So your setup must be real rich!!!
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

Update. Trying to run a 28mm yms and removed my sparrow pipe to break in my bore and running a 45 pilot and 125 main cruising and temps are running at 315. Is it me or it's running a little to hot. But when I stop temps drop down to 270 hmmm climbing a slight incline for about 1/4 mile temps went up to 341 and at full throttle seems fine temps don't jump.
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

Alright. Raised the needle one and temps are now good. Dropped pilot to 40 and main to 120. Plug still a little black. Power feels good with stock pipe. Then all of a sudden piston starts to make a knocking noise. It's not going away. It sounds super loud. Is it suppose to be left me this. I don't even have a humdred miles on bore. Pulled bore and everything looks good except the knocking piston noise. Fml
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

Did u open her up look in bore? The sound get louder when u rev it ?
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
solid808
Spree
Spree

Post by solid808 »

Peteyparado wrote:Did u open her up look in bore? The sound get louder when u rev it ?
it doesn't sound like it.. it sounds exactly like how its idling but faster lol
2006 SYM DD50
72 Corsa
Mini Stroked
26mm Polini carb
Stage 6 intake manifold
Sparrow Exhaust
Polini Ruckus Variator
1500 contra
Lightened mag
7.4-1 gears