New guy, some lighting/electrical questions.

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

pickardracing
Noob
Noob

New guy, some lighting/electrical questions.

Post by pickardracing »

Hey everyone, new guy here. Just picked up a super nice 01 Elite S on Friday. Very excited!

Already punched the exhaust and removed the clutch limiter thanks to the advice on the page, and now I have a question on something else.

I've noticed that the headlight on this thing is, well, substandard at best. Just so happens that I've got a wildly bright LED fog light that is just taking up space, and I've already fabbed the brackets to mount it up, and it looks... well... functional.

My question is this: What kind of recharge rate or output does the alternator on this thing put out? The light I'll be using is a 10W LED that pulls less than 1A, and I know that's not much, but I'd rather not find out the hard way that that extra amperage is overtaxing the charging system. It's not going to be on full time, either, as I plan on running a relay system to the high beam circuit so that the light feeds directly from the battery and comes on with the high beam switch.

I'd also like to run some additional auxiliary lighting on it if possible, but I'm not moving forward with that until I know what this alternator is capable of.

Thanks!
Nuserame
Noob
Noob

Re: New guy, some lighting/electrical questions.

Post by Nuserame »

The SA50 service manual says the alternator you have produces 12v, 100w/5,000 rpm. ( If Im reading things correctly)

Sorry for the off topic question but could you link me to the page about the exhaust and clutch limiter you mentioned ? Im also new here.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Nuserame wrote:The SA50 service manual says the alternator you have produces 12v, 100w/5,000 rpm. ( If Im reading things correctly)

Sorry for the off topic question but could you link me to the page about the exhaust and clutch limiter you mentioned ? Im also new here.
Hello Nusername... :hi:
A. Look into the Wikispreedia found at the beginning of each column in the Board Index. It says "Get answers to your questions right now: Wikispreedia"
B. Look at the top right of this page under the header bar and find the "Search" link. Follow that to find the threads that contain the words you are searching.... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Remember that headlight circuits on these scooters are AC current not DC current that led lights need. Keep that in mind.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

This is true- you'll have to find another way to power the light w battery power, like a seperate switch or rewiring the stock circuit.
'O'VerSe
BMX
BMX

Post by 'O'VerSe »

+1 on what patthesoudguy said. But you can pick up bridge rectifier that converts ac to dc for about $5 at any frys electronics, radio shack, or electronics store. 2 inch square block with four tabs. Ac in/dc in/dc out and ground. I've already installed an led headlight on my scooter works great.
1986 Honda spree-Horizontal Minarelli-70cc Polini Corsa-21mm Dellorto-Stage6 intake-Stage6 V force reeds-Hoca variator-4g rollers-Motoforce clutch-Tecnigas Next-R exhaust