Bbk advice

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Bbk advice

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Getting ready to tear off my head to check ring etc due to very low compression, while I've got it apart figured I'd would entertain the idea of doing a bbk.

Two main questions I have, what's the best kit for a 2001 elite sr50 and what kit can I use that doesn't require replacing anything else? I plan on maybe doing exhaust and or carb down the road but looking for something I can do in stages or not upgrade anything else and still provide some performance boost.

Thanks
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Re: Bbk advice

Post by Dbroogs »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31313

Rancher had a good post going through his upgrades. He decided on the malossi cast kit just like I did. Runs great with stock carb and exhaust. Just get the jetting right and tune the variator and clutch to your liking. I had 57 for a top speed when I had it leaned out a bit too much.

You can always add aftermarket carb for easier tuning and exhaust later on for better performance. I do not believe the malossi cast makes more power in the higher RPM range though so keep that in mind when looking for pipes down the road.
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Stock setup: 6g rollers, 90MJ
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Your right g9 I should of asked best for my needs. Don't really need or want to spend major cash in upgrades. As far as the malossi kits any specific site that carries quality kits at decent pricing? I tried looking at swapshop but only carry up to 93 for elite?

My ideal upgrade path would be a bbk, then down the road maybe an exhaust and possibly carb. Would be nice to get something little bigger and not have to perform surgery when cleaning out dirty jet lol.
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

On his website all parts under dio will fit ur bike.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I said the same thing with my elite. Then once you get more speed then you need even more speed! Plan ahead. Getting something you can piece together down the road is smart. I personally read everything I could on here about upgrading. Took many weeks before I pulled the trigger on anything. Read and learn from other people's mistakes it will save you money in the long run. Check out the GOOCH thread in the builders forums for the mistakes I made as a newbie to all of this. I personally loved the contessa and will be putting the malossi cast on mine here very soon. Really depends on what your looking to get out of your bike. Good luck and safe riding
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

That makes me happy you carry parts for the elite. I was bummed when I thought you didn't carry anything after 93 lol. Yeah I'm looking at getting http://www.scooterswapshop.com/collecti ... linder-kit . I shouldn't have any issues using stock pipe and carb with that malossi right? Oh is there anything else I would need for that kit to get running? Do I need to change out main jet or anything else?

If I do upgrade pipe and or carb down the road, any suggestions on compatible ones? I'm not looking for 70+ mph. I'm comfortable at 45-50. Able to zip around town and keep up with traffic.
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

At least buy jets!! For tuning. For future upgrade a 24 polini carb is a good carb.G9 has them, an arrow pipe or polini pipe but there pricier 300-400.. You can alway ask on here for used pipes an parts..
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Aside from a jet kit to retune the carb from the cylinder kit, is there any other parts that are a must have replaced to make sure everything runs smooth? Gears, belt etc. Everything stock should be able to handle new setup?

side question: if i did upgrade the carb is polini the only or best option to go? I was looking around and noticed some with and without manifolds. Is that a required or needed replacement piece also?

Thanks
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Ok finally settled on what upgrades ill be going with for now.

[72cc bbk]

[Carb/manifold]
Is the consensus that 24mm is the way to go with the 72cc kit?

The only other upgrade i'm looking at is possibly an exhaust but thats down the road, unless there's anything else someone can think of that is a must have to insure everything runs smoothly?

PS anyone have a link to site that has oil pump plugs for sale? They are out of stock at SSS and looking to place the order for everything today.

Thanks
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

24mm is usually the magic number for the 72cc kits. I need a 24mm carb for mine the 28 I have is way too big. I'd check with SSS and see when they will have stock of the the oil plugs they might be in transit about to arrive.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

Try check in the for sale area on the forum or ask there in sure someone is selling 1

FunkeyMonkey wrote:Ok finally settled on what upgrades ill be going with for now.

[72cc bbk]

[Carb/manifold]
Is the consensus that 24mm is the way to go with the 72cc kit?

The only other upgrade i'm looking at is possibly an exhaust but thats down the road, unless there's anything else someone can think of that is a must have to insure everything runs smoothly?

PS anyone have a link to site that has oil pump plugs for sale? They are out of stock at SSS and looking to place the order for everything today.

Thanks
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Thanks Pat, that's what i gathered from reading around here just wanted a 2nd opinion. Did you get a manifold also or just carb? I'm not completely decided if it will make a huge difference between that and stock, havent seen much info about manifolds online.
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The tunable carb makes all the difference. Scooter Swap shop to the rescue with the adapter to put other carbs on the stock manifold. A better manifold will help a lot
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
FunkeyMonkey
Spree
Spree

Post by FunkeyMonkey »

Ah ok didnt know you had a spree, i have a 2001 sa50 elite. But feel good about the choices for my upgrade, ill have to bug g9 to see when he will get a oil plug in stock. Thanks again.
2001 Honda Elite 50
72cc malossi cylinder
24mm polini carb
Naraku intake
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

FunkeyMonkey wrote:Ah ok didnt know you had a spree, i have a 2001 sa50 elite. But feel good about the choices for my upgrade, ill have to bug g9 to see when he will get a oil plug in stock. Thanks again.
I have a dio af18 on my current spree with a malossi MHR 72cc kit with the ct intake with an oko on it with the arrow pipe. I got mixed up and forgot with motor we on about in this thread lol same thing the bbk needs a good tunable carb to get the best results. You can jet the original and get ok results but a good carb makes it really braaaappp
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock