Grinding TAZ gears to fit an elite e?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Grinding TAZ gears to fit an elite e?

Post by Jackstickley »

I'm told that even though the engines are very similar i need to modify the TAZ gears to fit and work inside my elite e. but my problem is i don't know how i have to modify them.

they will be going in after i install a BBK so im concerned but not very worried about losing some of my low end acceleration. i just don't want to find out i wasted the money getting it but don't have the means or know how to make it work.

every road around me is 45mph or more so im very keen on getting as much top speed as i can from what i have.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe
- Lots of plans, Skeleton Scoot.

"It may not be fast or pretty but it's mine."
Jackstickley
BMX
BMX

Re: Grinding TAZ gears to fit an elite e?

Post by Jackstickley »

So a spree has a 15mm inner bearing and the Elite E has a 13mm so i assume i have to shave off that excess SOMEWHERE along that shaft. but easier said then done if you don't have excess to a machine shop. and hacking at it with a grinder sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (wobbly gears aren't good gears).

so i suppose my question is. can someone highlight what needs to be shaved in taz's picture of the gears for future me and anyone currently wanting to use them in an elite e. In the mean time i will have to hold off on getting them and make due with just the bbk and muffler. i wont see a strong improvement without them of course but every little bit helps.

now if only Taz's carb kit would come back in stock.
1989 Honda Elite E SB50p
- MLM Side-Bleed Pipe
- Lots of plans, Skeleton Scoot.

"It may not be fast or pretty but it's mine."