2001 honda elite s

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

2001 honda elite s

Post by nate_lohs »

ok i had a post in general discussion but it started gettin pretty technical so i thought i make a new one in the right place. ok i have a 2001 honda elite s. i have a 72cc big bore kit, 8.44:1 final drive gears, R1 muffler, high speed pulley kit, running stock carb with 90 jet. currently have a 1000 rpm center spring and 2000 rpm clutch springs installed. im not sure of the weights i have installed in the high speed pulley, i just used what came in the kit.
i have a few questions. first of all i need to make sure im not running lean. i havent ran it for very long. i took it for a ride around the neighborhood tonight. i pulled out the plug just to see how it looked. its definitely darker than a new plug. kinda tanish grey.
my second questions is what kinda set ups are you guys running with clutch springs, center springs and roller weights? i know for sure that my clutch springs are too heavy, my acceleration from a stop is horrible. you have to rev it really high to get it to take off. just looking for some suggestions. thanks
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

here are a few pics of my spark plug. the first one is the plug i pulled out of my scooter after riding it around for a couple minutes. the second one is a new one for comparison. it wasnt full throttle when i was riding so im not sure how much it will tell me.

2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

only a few min doesn't tell you much. you have to be riding around for a solid 20min or prefferably more to make sure its heated up to operating temp. That plug just looks like you didn't ride enough for an accurate reading.

And are you doing a proper chop, or just pulling the plug when you turn off the engine?
projects galore :nerd:
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

i didnt really do a chop yet. the engine doesnt even have a half hour of run time yet.im just trying to get a good idea of if im ok to ride around for a while and break it in. just from the look of the plug i think im going to be ok for now. once i get some miles on the engine i will do an actual plug chop. now i just have to see about getting the proper roller weights, center spring and clutch springs in it.
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

I would do a chop at 1/4 throttle first, then 1/4 to 3/4 and then wot,
set your idle jet first,then make sure your safe in the midrange,this should get you enough so that you can do your breakin, then after breakin check your wot chop,go back and adjust your needle if needed,and remember that even though it was not designed to , pilot jet does affect WOT ,on most carbs
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

W/C wrote:I would do a chop at 1/4 throttle first, then 1/4 to 3/4 and then wot,
set your idle jet first,then make sure your safe in the midrange,this should get you enough so that you can do your breakin, then after breakin check your wot chop,go back and adjust your needle if needed,and remember that even though it was not designed to , pilot jet does affect WOT ,on most carbs
I disagree, your main wot chop is what sets the standard for the rest of the chops and that one should be done first. Then based on that chop you can do the others. Just based on what I've read before.
projects galore :nerd:
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

burnt_toast wrote:
W/C wrote:I would do a chop at 1/4 throttle first, then 1/4 to 3/4 and then wot,
I disagree, your main wot chop is what sets the standard for the rest of the chops and that one should be done first. Then based on that chop you can do the others. Just based on what I've read before.
Yeah but you dont want to do a main chop on a bore that is not broken in,that's asking to seize.and since you can break in a cylinder on 1/4 throttle ,it's a safer way
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

pretty close but i would set your idle first like you said and then your main jet at WOT that is if you are using a carb with a pilot and a main.Start larger on your main then you would think you would need and work your way down from there. you can tell cause you will probably be loading up. The reason I would set the pilot first is that the pilot will directly affect your main. No matter how much throttle you give or don't the pilot will still be feeding gas to the engine.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

after you get the idle and main at WOT you adjust the needle if necessary. This is from what I have learned and practiced on my stroker hondas.
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

gorgot to add that this was told to me by the track record holder in hawaii for mopeds in a discussion over the net about tuning the carb and it made sense although I use to start from main first and work my way down. It worked out better his way and his reason makes perfect sense.
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

im using the stock carb. with my order from vt they sent me the jet they recommended for the set up i have. they gave me a 90 main jet. i havent really set the idle perfect yet. i have about 4 miles on it now and i pulled the plug and it looks pretty good. light tan color. i dont think im going to need to change main jets. i will probably set my idle this weekend and put more miles on it since its going to get up to around 50 degrees. on the stock carb there isnt a pilot jet right? theres just the main jet and idle mixture screw and air screw? i think im going to wait til i get some miles on it to do a full throttle plug chop. is it recommended to do a 1/4 chop for idle and a 1/2 chop for midrange?
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
nate_lohs
Spree
Spree

Post by nate_lohs »

also another thought. i forgot to mention that im running premix now. vt told me what ratio to run (50:1) and what jet to use. you are supposed to jet according to your premix ratio right? and by changing the amount of oil you use you will also change your a/f ratio. so would it be a good idea just to stick with the jet that gave me since they told me what jet to use based on the premix ratio?
2001 honda elite S
2006 kawi vulcan 1600
1996 toyota tacoma
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

that would be recommended. They have been doing this a long time although where you live abnd where VT lives the density in air might make a slight difference on the jetting.
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

Yeah did not realize that you where running a stock carb,so no idle jet there,(90 main seems kinda small,I used a 90 main on stock bore/pipe/air boxed 01 elite S,plug was perfect.
I would think you might want to go larger on the main? to be safe,also a CHT gauge would really be helpful.
50-1 is ok, alot of us guy's run 32-1 ,some 40something -1 etc,just use a GOOD quality oil, and yes premix ratio will affect jetting, remember there are 3 factors, air,fuel,oil too much oil and too little fuel is lean etc etc