turbo anyone?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

hondaspree86er
BMX
BMX

turbo anyone?

Post by hondaspree86er »

i just got this weird i dea to turbo my spree. i am going to use a k03 turbo off a vw. that is the smallest one i can find. anyone think its possible?
35 mph 1986 Honda Spree with intake mod 2242 miles and excellent plastic
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

I doubt you would have enough exhaust gases to spool the turbo up enough.
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

you may be able to supercharge a spree but like huskie said a car turbo wont spool up with spree exhaust.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hondaspree86er
BMX
BMX

Post by hondaspree86er »

yea but it could do it enough for a little reaction
35 mph 1986 Honda Spree with intake mod 2242 miles and excellent plastic
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I think they make bike turbo's small enough for this... I've never found a source for one though. There was a guy with a turbo Spree posting on here a year ago... never got enough details to figure out what was going on with it.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
zonker1984
BMX
BMX

Post by zonker1984 »

try checking http://www.michiganturbo.com
if they don't have what you want, they might be able to custom build it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I asked them this question... we'll see if they can answer it.

I've seen a few 50-100cc bike engines with turbos... I've no idea where you'd get a turbo that small!
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Streetglow
Goped
Goped

Post by Streetglow »

I've seen a small engine supercharger kit before, but it costs almost $1000.
86 Spree (w/neon)
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Streetglow wrote:I've seen a small engine supercharger kit before, but it costs almost $1000.
bet its worth it if it works.. :twisted: any links?

as far as on a spree, it' be pretty d*** hard to tune and spool yet still only get you like 40mph haha (maily due to fixed trans..)

But for some motivation, here's a turbo'd 2stroke vespa!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... espa&hl=en

and thats like 150cc and notice the boost lag!!
projects galore :nerd:
oncewaslost1982
BMX
BMX

Post by oncewaslost1982 »

There was a guy i knew in high school that connected a leaf blower to his intake on a scooter and got the scooter going and started the leaf blower and once he got up to speed he gunned the leaf blower and it apparently has some effect on the scooter because it took off like a rocket, I think it did end up messing the scooter up somehow or another.... :lol:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

oncewaslost1982 wrote:There was a guy i knew in high school that connected a leaf blower to his intake on a scooter and got the scooter going and started the leaf blower and once he got up to speed he gunned the leaf blower and it apparently has some effect on the scooter because it took off like a rocket, I think it did end up messing the scooter up somehow or another.... :lol:
OK... there's a workable idea... take apart an electric leaf-blower, keeping the fan, fan shroud, and motor. Gut the electrical motor and add a pully in place of the rotor. Hook the rotor up to the fan side of the Spree block and turn it off the crank. Attach a blow-off valve on the fan output and hook it to the intake. Install an air filter on the intake side of the fan, or at least a screen.

Cheap, readily available non-intercooled supercharging... Since these run on fractional HP electrical motors or sub 50cc engines, the boost/power input should be close... Junkyard engineering at it's finest.

I really like this idea... I'm going to run it by a couple of the PT engineers that I know to find out if it's workable.

Image[/img]
Admin, Hondaspree.net

wbpolk
BMX
BMX

Post by wbpolk »

you know what also work..... a computer cooling fan. they are really powerful and they dont use that much power.
well it worked on my buddies 29cc goped.
oncewaslost1982
BMX
BMX

Post by oncewaslost1982 »

if you end up doing that then i wanna see pics. It worked on the guys i knew in schools moped. but he didnt do all the engineering you are talking about, he just ran a pipe from the blower to the moped intake and held one throttle with one hand and another throttle with the other hand and took off.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

oncewaslost1982 wrote:if you end up doing that then i wanna see pics. It worked on the guys i knew in schools moped. but he didnt do all the engineering you are talking about, he just ran a pipe from the blower to the moped intake and held one throttle with one hand and another throttle with the other hand and took off.
well it is a workable idea, and on small applications like a scooter might really have a chance of working. I've seen someone put a leafblower on the intake of a civic on a dyno and it gained about 20hp over base run, but most car folk think talks of power adders like this are rice..

Why this would work however, is a leafblower has an actual compressor fan assembly that would give you some partial boost assuming no leaks. What probably happened with your buddy's scooter is it got the boost of air, but ran lean due to no extra fuel supply. Correcting for the fuel mixture somehow would be ideal to make it work.

I had some ideas of doing this on my car after seeing how it worked on the civic, but decided it wouldn't be worth it if I messed up.

Noiseguy talk this over and let us know what you find out! :idea:
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

wbpolk wrote:you know what also work..... a computer cooling fan. they are really powerful and they dont use that much power.
well it worked on my buddies 29cc goped.
a fan isn't the same as a compressor, it will just push ambient air into the intake. but on an engine that small you could see some gains. But for a 50cc+ scooter a computer cooling fan wouldn't be enough to create boost imo.