Best roller weights for trans upgrades

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Best roller weights for trans upgrades

Post by Sevyndaze »

Hello Scooter Gurus, I’m running a Polini variator and going to install 16/42 final drive gears and a ZX transmission this week on my 2001 Elite. What roller weights have worked well for those of you with a similar setup?

Right now it is a stock motor with just the Polini variator, and using the heavier of the two weights that came with the variator (6.7g I think) it does 41 on a flat and stays around 7500 RPM. Are the weights in there now going to be ok after the gears and trans are added, or should I switch to a different set?
2001 Elite S (Derestricted)
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
1.5k Contra, 4k shoe springs
16/42 Gears
bonesv

Re: Best roller weights for trans upgrades

Post by bonesv »

With the 1000 torque (center) spring and 2000 clutch shoe springs, I run about 40-45 grams total using the 9:1 gears on a (fresh) stock motor and new stock belt sa50. Tune the setup to your liking. We don't know what that is for you. You might need a little more weight tho with the bigger pulley? Maybe you like higher stall rpm so heavier springs? Maybe not? Also, be sure to grind all the areas for belt clearance inside the belt cavity and check to see if the belt can hit on the inside of the covers.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Thanks for the feedback. I checked and the roller weights are 6.9g, so within the range of yours. My motor has about 5k on it, but a freshly rebuilt carb, new spark plug, new OEM-type air filter (Bought from Noiseguy's ebay store), and I plan to chem-clean the muffler while I get the rest of the bike put back together. I also have a new Malossi belt and a new clutch that came with the ZX kit I purchased from SSS as well. They were kind enough to assemble the clutch onto the pulley for me, so I've sent them a message asking what the center and shoe springs are rated for. They also threw in a set of variator shims because they're awesome like that.

I will be sure to grind the case where needed as well as install the ZX variator boss that was included with the polini kit. I was able to pull the transmission apart tonight and a local powersports shop is going to press the gear for me tomorrow. The weather is going to be stormy tomorrow and I have class Thursday night but with any luck, I should have it rolling again by Friday! With it already hitting 41, I can't wait to see what the result is after the final drive is done!
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Nothing major happens when doing upgrades until a bbk happens. Everything else gets you small incremets of performance improvements. You will see a nice kick in the pants from the zx trans but dont expect to get past 50 on the items you’ve listed.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

A BBK is definitely in the cards, but will probably have to wait until spring. I’ll likely upgrade the carb, intake and pipe at the same time. If I can get close to 50 for now or even clear 45 I’ll take it!
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Where is it that I need to grind the case? I’m not planning on putting the rear clutch cover back on, so is it just that one spot above the bolt hole near the clutch on the bottom side?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears
Sevyndaze
Spree
Spree

Post by Sevyndaze »

Also, I’ve read that for the kickstart to engage properly, I’ll need to shim out the front transmission cover that houses the kicker. What have you guys used to accomplish this?
Arrow Exhaust
Polini Variator
6.9g rollers
ZX Trans
16/42 Gears