Honda Spree variator

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

TokyoChopSquad
Noob
Noob

Honda Spree variator

Post by TokyoChopSquad »

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on here for about 2 months and I know this site seems to have slowed down but I figured I might try to breathe new life into it with a new thread.

Here's the deal... I want a variator on an Nq50 AE05 motor. Not an AF16,AF18, or GY6 swap. I would love to swap my motor but I cannot for the life of me find one or get my hands on one in Chicago. Yes I know I have already spent a lot of money on buying the new intake, carb, tazland gears and soon to be BBK. But I don't care for this build.

So my question is.... Is it possible to purchase a variator and throw it on a spree with heavy modifications to the housing? I figured as long as I grind down or machine off some of the housing that I could slap one on. I am completely fine running an open side case, I know debris will likely get in but I'll deal with that later.

The purpose of my build is solely to please me, have something to zip around on in downtown Chicago, and have something to wrench on and keep me sane from my IT job.

This doesn't need to be reliable, but of course, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help
TokyoChopSquad
Noob
Noob

Re: Honda Spree variator

Post by TokyoChopSquad »

Also, I have read a few other posts about this subject on here. Doesn't look like anyone got anywhere with this.
One person got flamed off the site for lying.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =4&t=15948
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

TAZ did his homework many years ago on bringing a Spree variator to fruition. If anyone has the knowledge, resources and determination...he does. After much research and planning he ultimately came to the conclusion that it simply isnt practical from a cost standpoint. Needing to elongate the rear drive shaft and crank, completely redesign the clutch, make a variator that would fit the Spree case AND have enough range to even matter, make the belt cover deeper and somehow still have a working starter, etc, etc...

Its a tall task and he believed he could get it done in the $400-$500 range. To make profit for his efforts he would need to produce parts in large quantity and this would require a very large investment. Then add a retail margin to his sale price and you basically have a bolt-on Spree variator kit that NOONE in their right mind would ever buy.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Add to that, the cost of an intake, carb, BBK. You'd have to be an idiot not to swap the engine for half the cost and a lot more performance from a stock AF16.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

P.S. 2 things. BBK is probably not worth your time if you are unhappy with it so far. And second, can't figure out for the life of me, why you would want to run the high gears without a BBK. That's gotta be silly slow at take off. I'd pull out those gears and put a 13T (86-87 model year) gear in it. Keep the intake and carb kit, and call it good. That should get you to 35 and still have decent enough take off. There really isn't much more you can do with a Spree engine that would be worth the money or effort. But then you might be saying to yourself, hey wait a minute, you use a BBK and high gears and yours is fast, what gives??

Well, for one thing, I have show bikes. I don't normally see much use out of them, the high speed I got was under a controlled test environment, and second, I built them for my son who has Autism knowing fully well that the off the line acceleration would be poor. This is how I wanted it to be for his needs. For an average normal scooter user, even with all the upgrades, the engine just ain't that great. That is the honest truth.
TokyoChopSquad
Noob
Noob

Post by TokyoChopSquad »

Glad to hear a solid answer on this. I wasn't aware of the "elongated drive shaft and crank" issue, so that good to know. Currently, I'm perfectly happy with where it currently sits. I only don't have the BBK because he needs to restock on them. As soon as he does I'll buy one. I'd be more than happy to buy a swap as well (I have two Sprees) but you just can't find the d*** motors in Chicago. There's 2 AF16's on Wisconson craigslist right now, but it would cost more to go get them.

There's also a small mentality of "mod it cus ya got it".
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You can put a variated AF05E in it as well. Not as great as an AF16, but still way better then a stock Spree engine. That opens up your options a little more.
motormike

Post by motormike »

TokyoChopSquad wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:30 am I only don't have the BBK because he needs to restock on them. As soon as he does I'll buy one.

There's also a small mentality of "mod it cus ya got it". <<<very small
What these comments are really trying to say is, "Don't waste your money"
The advice they have given is good, and comes from their own experiences.
Spree...the cutest little scooter that wishes it could... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
TokyoChopSquad
Noob
Noob

Post by TokyoChopSquad »

motormike wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 pm
TokyoChopSquad wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:30 am
What these comments are really trying to say is, "Don't waste your money"
The advice they have given is good, and comes from their own experiences.
Spree...the cutest little scooter that wishes it could... :urban: [/size]
Way past that man. Plus like I said, money doesn't matter in this case. That said im not going to go out and custom machine anything.

Just needed to know if there were any other physical issues like the crank.
motormike

Post by motormike »

TokyoChopSquad wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:30 am There's 2 AF16's on Wisconson craigslist right now, but it would cost more to go get them.
TokyoChopSquad wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:49 am money doesn't matter in this case.
If money doesn't matter, go get the AF16's...that should provide you with the
therapeutic activity to maintain your sanity, and when you're finished, you will have a machine far superior to
anything you will ever create from a Spree engine. Should you choose to follow your own path to a "variated Spree",
we here at hondaspree will celebrate any success you share with us.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Yes, what mm said..