What rpm are you getting clutch engagement?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

What rpm are you getting clutch engagement?

Post by Majourlittle »

I have worked some kinks out of my bike and am starting the tuning process. Initial issues I have are a fuel starvation issue, which I’ll address later, and a perceived issue with the clutch engagement. When moving the bike around I noticed that the rpm would jump to ~4500 rpm before the clutch would engage enough to move the bike.

I know that I have aftermarket springs on my clutch, and that they were a b**** to install. I feel like this is the first thing to sort out and want to get an idea from everybody on where their street scooter engages at? Does that seem high to you? Did you use aftermarket springs or stock? What do you prefer?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: What rpm are you getting clutch engagement?

Post by eclark5483 »

Mine engages around 2600 rpm. I use 2500 rpm Leo Vince Jog springs. If your engaging at 4500, your clutch pads either need to be scuffed up or replaced. Or possibly, you need a belt replacement.

4500 rpm on mine, I'm already past 20mph. I use 15:81 gears though. On yours, you should be doing at least 10. The clutch springs prevent it from engaging too soon, they don't hinder it like you are describing. If the springs were shot, you would engage real low in the rpm range. Probably to the point that the wheel would always spin when you start, no matter how low the idle.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

It depends on what bike/motor you have, what mods are on it and how hard you want your launch to be. The way mine is, its a total dog anything under 4k so I launch about there. It doesnt wake up till about 6-7k...then it rips to 11k. Im guessing my peak is somewhere in the 9k’s.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

God, I only wish I could have a 4k launch on mine. Such is the life of a Spree engine.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Polini makes a spring kit that fits the Spree clutch. Not “MADE FOR SPREE” but same size and fits and comes with 3 sets of various tension. Can also experiment by drilling strategically placed holes in the clutch weigths to lighten them up. Only drawback of holes is....theres no going back! ;)
Majourlittle
Elite
Elite

Post by Majourlittle »

right, so clarification is in order. I have a 102cc AF16 that Tru72 built for me quite a few years ago. I am finally getting to a point in my life where I have some free time to tinker and I need to get some of my projects moving.

I am using a trailtech Vapor for a dash and it is giving me the readout for Rpm and speed. As it stands right now, I am getting the bike to move at about 4500rpm. I think that the springs are some ebay junk and I remember that they were a MF to get put on.

I think that I am going to start with getting some Polini springs and starting there. I sortof like the high launch, but when I come out of corners, the bike will lift the wheel sometimes and that is getting sketchy as of late.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I run the Mk2 on both my builds...love them. So easy to adjust. https://www.scooterswapshop.com/collect ... lutch-zuma