Arrow Pipe on 50cc - Review

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Arrow Pipe on 50cc - Review

Post by burnt_toast »

Here is my unbiased take on running a top dollar genuine Arrow exhaust on a '98 SA50 Elite SR, while staying 50cc.

It's well known an Arrow and 72cc Corsa combo when tuned proper, rips hard. But what about a stock bore? Certainly it can't be as good right?? Well I am pleasantly surprised to report, when tuned proper ALSO rips hard! Relative, for a 50cc :D

Mods
9:1 gears (helical)
Keli variator / OKO ramp
stock clutch & springs
Arrow exhaust

The key to max enjoyment? Tuning it on the money of course! This means getting your roller weights just right. Something I didn't do right away.. 1st attempt was just throw pipe on and go, mainly due to lack of time. With stock 6x 8.5g wts (51.0g ttl actual) it was a complete dog until 20-30mph till it finally starts getting on the pipe and with downhill assist or long stretch. With enough road saw a 56mph top speed, but any uphill or letting off and getting back on throttle upsets your momentum big time. Don't recommend this, but was just curious to try it this way.

The fun part: 2nd attempt 3x 8.5g + 3x 3.0g (34.8g ttl actual) (153lb rider wt). On a cold bike this combo seemed to overrev and I almost dismissed and retuned for more weight. But glad I didn't! Kept test riding and this combo got better and better as the bike warmed up! This makes sense as the stock (or any aftermarket, for that matter) center spring behaves softer once warm, affecting cvt shifting.

Results? Fantastic pull and performance from 10mph and up on ANY terrain, uphill flat downhill, WOT this thing just wants to pull and pull! Constant on the pipe and in powerband, it's amazing. Knowing the Arrow is not known as a top end pipe and having it pull this good surprised me all the more, in a good way. And if you let off and get back on part throttle? No problem, jumps right back into the powerband.

Top speed, slightly lower at 53mph GPS verified on flat, semi tuck. Maybe 1 or 2 more with full tuck and downhill.

That lag to 10mph? Due to stock clutch springs very likely. But I don't even mind it much. Surprises unsuspecting folks at lights, who otherwise might think im just gonna loudly crawl the whole time haha

Going Arrow and staying 50cc may not be for everyone. But if you are lucky enough to get the chance, and retune your cvt accordingly, you will not be disappointed 8)

Note on stinger install:
Some people have the tab that holds tip of stinger break off. From what I could tell having the clamp on the tip of stinger can preloads this tab. So instead I opted to install slightly higher and used electrical tape instead of the large oring. Felt no preload this way, along with high temp sealant at inlet it feels secure. Most riding was done on some rough n dodgy Texas roads and so far so good. And yes I know I have stinger clocked to the side, just turned out that way as I was tightening clamp, and I’m diggin it :P

Future:
Will try swapping to stiffer clutch springs and/or playing with vari shim(s) to get rid of that down low bog. Only get to wrench n ride on this bike when I travel to Texas, on occasion. But will do my best to update when I get the chance.
:peace:

pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg (360.06 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
bike small.jpg
bike small.jpg (547.35 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
projects galore :nerd:
bonesv

Re: Arrow Pipe on 50cc - Review

Post by bonesv »

This is an idea I would not have thought of! :rock: I have a candidate for this and I can't wait to see for myself!!! :thumbsup: Thank you BT!!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
micbergsma
Spree
Spree

Re: Arrow Pipe on 50cc - Review

Post by micbergsma »

That's awesome Yan! Something I might add to my 50cc setup!
Scooter videos on YouTube: http://bit.ly/2fK6kHJ
Website: http://bit.ly/2gvBRyI - Scooter IG: http://bit.ly/2fB8gay