Transmission tuning AF16

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Caspervolas
BMX
BMX

Transmission tuning AF16

Post by Caspervolas »

On my AF16 I have a Malossi 72cc bbk, arrow exhaust, and polini 24mm carb. I’m getting a new variator and clutch soon and I was wondering what rollers, clutch springs and contra spring should I get if I want a higher top speed?

Also was thinking about getting a DIO ZX trans swap or is that just a waste of money?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Casper
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Transmission tuning AF16

Post by Meatball »

Rollers, clutch springs and contra spring have little to do with getting higher top speeds. Thats in the gearing. However, if your rollers are too light and the contra too stiff, the variator wont fully open to achieve the highest ratio.

I suggest: get the Polini for Ruckus variator and use the stock drive face boss with it. This requires carving out a bit of material around the variator area to accommodate the larger unit.

Get roller sets of 5g, 5.5g and 6g. You can mix the weights in the vari. Be sure to keep them evenly distributed for weight balance. For example, one of mine has three 5g and three 5.5g. The other scoot likes all six to be 5.5g. Gotta play with em.

Use the yellow Malossi Contra. Keep in mind they dont last forever. In my experience they start to lose their tension after about a year of heavy riding. Easily replaced and pretty cheap at $20 or so.

Get an adjustable clutch. I use Stage 6 but theres others. Swapping springs sucks monkey balls and dialing in that initial clutch grab is so critical for those slingshot take-offs.

Finally, get 9:1 gears in that rear end. I have them in all my builds except one. Top end will be in the 60’s and you’ll still have killer launches. I have 8:1’s in my ported build and it can do low 70’s but that ratio made launches suffer a bit.

By all means, get the zx trans with the wider belt. Total game changer. Have fun keeping the front wheel down when you goose it from a dead stop.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.