Need Help with Iowa Spree

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

DB Cutler
BMX
BMX

Post by DB Cutler »

Got an Iowa Spree which I use as a pit bike that I've been working on. (I've had a couple of other posts.) The probelm is that I can't get it to go faster than 20mph.

So far I've cleaned and rebuilt the carb (twice), installed a free flowing air filter (actually a chrome/paper element valve cover breather from a Chevy 350 engine), cleaned the exhaust pipe with drano and drilled the washer out, and installed a new belt and clutch pack. Now it runs like a brand new Iowa Spree, that is slow.

I've heard that the jets in the carb are different in an Iowa Spree than a normal Spree. Is this true and if so what are the Iowa vs normal Spree jet sizes ? Also, which jets ? Only the one that the throttle needle goes down through ?

Help me get out of Iowa !!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

standard spree jet is #65 or #68 my standard 86 is a #65 WAIT YOU DID THE V FILTER MOD WITHOUT REJETTING. your probably lean surging do aa plug chop bfore you blow the engine!
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
DB Cutler
BMX
BMX

Post by DB Cutler »

I don't know if that's it. That air filter has been on it for two years now with no probelms.

I was thinking that there is a smaller jet in the Iowas which restricts the max amount of fuel that the scooter can get so that it can't make enough power to go faster than 20mph.

Which jet are you talking about when you say a #65 ? How can you tell what jet you have ?
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

it has a number on it... you have to take the jet out and look closely at it.
DB Cutler
BMX
BMX

Post by DB Cutler »

I'm assuming that we are we talking about the jet which the throttle cable needle goes down through the middle of, correct ?
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

yes, it is the one that when you take the carb apart there is a tube that sticks down from the top and has the jet in it, just unscrew it and there is your main jet.
DB Cutler
BMX
BMX

Post by DB Cutler »

Excellent ! I already have an extra main jet from a spare carb that I have. I can take the one out of my current carb and compare it to the spare to see if they really are different on the Iowa model.

Thanks for the help !!

PS: I already doublechecked my VIN numbers. This is a real Iowa model.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i went to an 80 jet from a 68 when i put a k&n on. some say they went to a 70 with a k&n but 70 was way too small

Pull you carb off and the main jet what screws out with a flat screw driver, on the cylinder that the float sits around. Unscrew it and look at what number its stamped with. When you put it back it, don't tighten it too much, just "snug"
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

hve you done a plug chop? you should always do plugchops when messing with the carb/intake or you could run lean and burn up your motor
for all we know running it without the filter ruined the engine and now it has bad compresion.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

whats your muffler look like? is the pipe that bolts to the cylinder all one size to the muffler? if it is, get a 85 muffler. that muffler pipe is small at the cylinder but gets bigger where is goes to the muffler. better flow. :wink:
DB Cutler
BMX
BMX

Post by DB Cutler »

Yep, it's got the real Iowa muffler, all one size pipe to the muffler. I just won an '85 pipe on E-Bay so I'll put it on as soon as it gets here.

What's a "plugchop" ?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

wher you run it WOT for 1 minute then hit the kill with it at WOT the whole time then you take out the sparkplug and see what color the ceramic insulator is should be between a flat black and coco brown color any lighter than coco brown and your running lean which will kill the motor
DB Cutler
BMX
BMX

Post by DB Cutler »

Oh. I've never heard that term before.

I'll check it out.

Thanks !!
DB Cutler
BMX
BMX

Post by DB Cutler »

I checked the plug. It was a nice chocolate brown.

Also, the original jet was a #68. Should I install the #65 that I have ? Does the #65 provide more fuel than the #68 ? Also, does anyone know what the numbers designate ?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

bigger the numbers of the jets, more fuel its ganna get. :wink: