3 pix-Here is what happens when you DO NOT break in

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

3 pix-Here is what happens when you DO NOT break in

Post by 85spreeelite »

My friend bought this kit for his 99 sa50...KRS 70CC ALUMINUM BW BWS ZUMA SA50 ELITE DIO BIG BORE. I didnt know he was going to upgrade but anyway heres what happens when you go all out without proper breakin.

ImageImageImage

His question that I could not answer is can he still use the cylinder and just get another piston and rings? I told him to toss it and start over, any input?
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

guess it all depends on just how bad the scratches are on the cylinder. if u can hone it, and not actully bore it, u just might be able to re-use the cylinder. the way those pics look to me, is that there was no oil at ALL getting to the piston.
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

chevyguyjay wrote:guess it all depends on just how bad the scratches are on the cylinder. if u can hone it, and not actully bore it, u just might be able to re-use the cylinder. the way those pics look to me, is that there was no oil at ALL getting to the piston.
I agree that there was no oil getting to it. That is just bad.
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I have honed out a bore that was A LOT worse than this and sanded down the piston a little and that engine is still going. This engine is a victim of somebody running it without oil.

engine came from a leaf blower I bought off ebay in "good running condition"
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

I saw someone on ebay selling an SE50 that claimed that it did not smoke at all!!!
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
Crotchrocket
BMX
BMX

Post by Crotchrocket »

Shesh :!:
"CrotchRocket"

1994 Honda Elite SR-Polini 72CC Corsa kit-Polini Carbon Reeds-#100 Carb Jet-Keli Variator-1000RPM Center Clutch Spring-Ram Air Cooling-60MPH!
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Maybe he forgot to change the gear ratio & go to a larger carb, do it right the first time! rookies will learn the hard way. LOL!
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
Crotchrocket
BMX
BMX

Post by Crotchrocket »

ALL MOUTH!
"CrotchRocket"

1994 Honda Elite SR-Polini 72CC Corsa kit-Polini Carbon Reeds-#100 Carb Jet-Keli Variator-1000RPM Center Clutch Spring-Ram Air Cooling-60MPH!
85spreeelite
Elite
Elite

Post by 85spreeelite »

My neighbor never changed his gears and that wa3 summers ago.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

I just can't remember the last time i blew an engine :lol:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

ok i have to ask now. im getting a 63cc bore kit along with a high speed pulley kit and some other small things

what is the best way to break in? how many miles till its broke it? what is the best way to put these miles on? ( like variable speed or constant? )( long distance or let it cool often?)
i really need to know this before i get my stuff
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
W/C
Goped
Goped

Post by W/C »

Dac wrote:ok i have to ask now. im getting a 63cc bore kit along with a high speed pulley kit and some other small things

what is the best way to break in? how many miles till its broke it? what is the best way to put these miles on? ( like variable speed or constant? )( long distance or let it cool often?)
i really need to know this before i get my stuff
everyone has there own way on breakin,but all use varied rpm, you cant go by miles, time is more accurate, I go 5 and 5 ride for 5 mins shut down for 5 mins, keep adding 5 mins of ride time till you hit 30,then should be pretty well broken in. I also run 1st tank of crap oil,second tank and till i hit 30 mins ride time ,after that full syn
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

everyone has there own way on breakin,but all use varied rpm, you cant go by miles, time is more accurate, I go 5 and 5 ride for 5 mins shut down for 5 mins, keep adding 5 mins of ride time till you hit 30,then should be pretty well broken in. I also run 1st tank of crap oil,second tank and till i hit 30 mins ride time ,after that full syn
will that be enough? i have heard from other sites that i should put like 450 miles on with out going over 35MPH with easy take off's
1991--------Tomos Targa-
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

you guys should know that once you you go to any after market cylinder, its best to start pre mixing your fuel/oil. A good star is about 40 to 1 , also dont use your injector oil to do a premix, unlike what people may think, it is different.. always use a good high quality oil like 927 castor, pro kr2 , royal purple.
Upon breaking in a new motor , always add more oil, make it smoke, lol smoke is good, that means its getting oil. Another thing is try not to put any load on the motor for a good amount of time, at least 3 to 5 tanks, When i build 72 polinins for people i tell them at least 10 tanks! haha but most of them never listen! haha
good luck!
aloha
D
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

tru72 wrote:you guys should know that once you you go to any after market cylinder, its best to start pre mixing your fuel/oil. A good star is about 40 to 1 , also dont use your injector oil to do a premix, unlike what people may think, it is different.. always use a good high quality oil like 927 castor, pro kr2 , royal purple.
Upon breaking in a new motor , always add more oil, make it smoke, lol smoke is good, that means its getting oil. Another thing is try not to put any load on the motor for a good amount of time, at least 3 to 5 tanks, When i build 72 polinins for people i tell them at least 10 tanks! haha but most of them never listen! haha
good luck!
aloha
D
i put 160 miles on mine and i took it for a spin today. i decided to race my friend. his speedometer only read about 42-44 mph when we were neck and neck
im depressed, is this all my moped really has?????
1991--------Tomos Targa-