28mm Oko Carb Jet Size

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

jeremydde
Goped
Goped

28mm Oko Carb Jet Size

Post by jeremydde »

I was just wondering if any other members have a 72cc bore on their elite/dio's with the oko 28mm carb. And if so what main and pilot jets you are currently running? I am currently running a 130 main and a 52 pilot jet and the engine seems to pull well. The plug looks good but I haven't run it at wot for longer than a few seconds as I just installed the carb and manifold today.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
28mm Oko Carb 45 Pilot & 132 Main
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

i would try 135 main,some bikes can go as high as 140 easily. A 45/48 pilot is pretty close. a 52 is way big for that set up.
hope that works for you
aloha
D
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Jet Size

Post by jeremydde »

tru72 wrote:i would try 135 main,some bikes can go as high as 140 easily. A 45/48 pilot is pretty close. a 52 is way big for that set up.
hope that works for you
aloha
D
Thanks!
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

quick question if you dont mind me asking...
how much did you pay for your whole set up?
[i know some one around town who's thinking about selling there dio and im just brain storming about how much it would cost me to go all out if i bought it]
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

Dac wrote:quick question if you dont mind me asking...
how much did you pay for your whole set up?
[i know some one around town who's thinking about selling there dio and im just brain storming about how much it would cost me to go all out if i bought it]
2000 Honda Dio $1000
Malossi 72cc Bore $200
28mm Oko Carb $177.90
Phongeer Long $135
9 to 1 Gears $30
CT Racing Variator $30
1500 RPM contra spring $16
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs $40
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT $185

All are approximate US dollars as I paid in cdn for everything. Stuff from VT Cycles was converted on my credit card so i am not exact on those things. The carb included the air filter, an adjustable throttle cable, the dual reed manifold and a couple extra jets.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
diomike
Spree
Spree

Post by diomike »

i got the same set up but mine dio kepps dieing on me first over heated and then when i changed the piston after a mounth of driving it wont start just wired..
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Carb jet

Post by jeremydde »

So I installed a 132 main jet (Highest I have) and noticed no real change in power but my midrange keeps cutting out. When I roll on the throttle hard it bogs for a bit then goes. I tried raising the needle and the problem got worse. I lowered the needle all the way (highest clip) and it was better, but it was still bogging. Is this a sign that my main jet is too large? The plug looks like a deep chocolate brown. Also, I am not running the 52 pilot like I thought I'm running the 50.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

CHT

Post by jeremydde »

Oh and my CHT's are noticeably lower than before. Almost 20 degrees celcius lower at times.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

And what gear ratio r-u running with that kit- 9 to1 is dead wrong- but you will learn :lol:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

when you are trying to throttle it, try covering the opening the carb a bit, making it richer.. from there you can figure out if it need to go bigger or smaller jets. Remeber you need to tune it how you are going to ride it, some people tune it with a air cleaner, then take it off when the ride LOL

so run it with out the air cleaner, rev it up while trying to cover the carb opening. Once you try it you should be able to figure it out..

50 pilot is still very big, i usually run like 45 maybe 48

what kind of weights are you using, i figure with that set up you should be anywhere from all 7s to all 8s, my guess would be 3-7s, 3-8s
if you get want way more top speed try getting something like 7:1 up to 8:1, 9:1 is is kinda screaming LOL
just remeber that thse are starting points for you to get it running
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

tru72 wrote:when you are trying to throttle it, try covering the opening the carb a bit, making it richer.. from there you can figure out if it need to go bigger or smaller jets. Remeber you need to tune it how you are going to ride it, some people tune it with a air cleaner, then take it off when the ride LOL

so run it with out the air cleaner, rev it up while trying to cover the carb opening. Once you try it you should be able to figure it out..

50 pilot is still very big, i usually run like 45 maybe 48

what kind of weights are you using, i figure with that set up you should be anywhere from all 7s to all 8s, my guess would be 3-7s, 3-8s
if you get want way more top speed try getting something like 7:1 up to 8:1, 9:1 is is kinda screaming LOL
just remeber that thse are starting points for you to get it running
I am now running a 130 main with the filter on. The needle was lowered one clip. Now the bike seems to be running very well. The bogging has gone. I am currently running all 7's in the variator. I will order some smaller pilot jets and test them out when they arrive. I assume if I make the pilot smaller that I may have to make the main slightly richer as well?
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

always remember the pilot jet effects off idle about 1/4 of the throttle. The rest is the mains. By adjusting the needle clip you can make your main jett alittle bigger or smaller.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Combo your weights, 5x7gms, try a 7-4-1 gear ratio, the rest of your parts are dead on :lol:
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Gears

Post by jeremydde »

stillspeeding wrote:Combo your weights, 5x7gms, try a 7-4-1 gear ratio, the rest of your parts are dead on :lol:
When I ordered the gears VT Cycles only had 10:1 and 9:1 gears in stock. I chose the 9:1. The acceleration that I have with these gears is really nice and I am enjoying it. I am reluctant to increase the gears again as I really can't see myself needing an even higher top speed here in the city.

The Honda dealer had a few keihin jets in stock (Part #99103-4370380) but was a 38. (The last digits in the part number are the jet size for future reference) I am gonna try and drill out the 38 to a 48 and see how it is on the scooter. Otherwise I'll have to order the 48 out of Toronto.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Jet Drill

Post by jeremydde »

Unfortunately the smallest bit I have is a 52 so I will have to order the jet anyways. :(
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring