high speed pully kit and gear change

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

HondaElite5094
Noob
Noob

high speed pully kit and gear change

Post by HondaElite5094 »

I have a 1994 honda elite and was thinking about getting a 9:1 gears and a high speed pully kit. That is what VTcycles reccomended to gain higher speed without getting a bore kit. Has anyone done this? Is it hard on the motor and do you loose a lot of acceleration? And would a bore kit be a better thing to do also?
1994 honda elite
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

I have a stock Sr50 factory unrestricted. Mine tops out at 35 , slows to 32 on a incline and sppeds to 38 downhill. I would find it hard to believe that the engine would get to top out with a taller gear such as a 9 to 1 although some here has said so. It probably will give you a faster speed but not its full potential. Also, if you do the gear change, I can almost guarantee that if you hit a head wind or incline you will slow down alot more than 3 mph.

The speed variator yes, it is a cheap alternative. If I were you, I would make sure the muffler is not restricted. I would replace the muffler with a R1 and replace the speed variator. I wouldn't do the gear change. You need power to push the gears and the variator. A preformance muffler will give you power to push either one, maybe not both but better than a stock muffler. Check your carb jet, mine is a number 78 stock for an unrestricted model, if yours is less and you deresticted it, change the jet. Also, do a compression check , done with a hot engine. If its low, pull the cylinder, hone it and replace rings. A cheap alternative to a cylinder change.

I debated what to do to my SR50. I chose to do a big bore kit and a gear kit. Then do the muffler and speed variator.

One last note, the guys at VT cycles do knwo what they are doing though so in the end , I would have to give them the benifet of knowing more than me.
HondaElite5094
Noob
Noob

Post by HondaElite5094 »

I already have the restricter off of the variator and the exhaust derestricted.
If this was your moped what would you do if you wanted to reach atleast 50 mph? What would you get?
1994 honda elite
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

I am doing that right as we speak. I ordered and got a Polini Corsa kit, which is the racing version of the Contesta. The corsa is ported. Anyway, I will share with you what I have learned. First the corsa is tops in a Honda upgrade kit unless you go stroker kit. I installed the Corsa kit, had to drill my carb jet out with a 1 mm drill bit which equals a #100 jet. Everything else stock , ran very good, kinda slightly rich but I added extra oil in the fuel tank. I then took the cover off the airbox but left everything else on and it ran great. I then modded the cover so more air can get in. I only got 5 mph more BUT the acceleration was unreal. I ordered a new set of lower gears which would then even things out with the extra power/torque of the cylinder and the higher gears. Anyway, I can't help but think that if my scooter would not run with the aircover off before and now after I drilled the jet it would. If I were you, and you were dead set on not spending alot of money and doing a cylinder change. I would do this, first, order a new jet or two, they only cost $5. Find some drill bits. Right now unrestricted muffler and airbox you should be running a #78 jet. Take ur carb off, clean it out good. reassemble it. Now I would replace the muffler with a R! muffler. Then remove the airbox cover, ride it and open the throttle, it should bog down right away cuz its too lean. Start drilling out ur carb jet, start small and work ur way up. A drill bit #65 should be an .880 then ride it, if it still bogs out, I would reditll a bit bigger to a #64, and so on, A #61 is a #100 jet and is used for big bore kits with hi po mufflers. You should be ok with a 64 63 no more. So muffler, redrill jet and new speed variator, oh yes, you will have tyo open up your airbox, thats easy, I can show you if you deciede to go this way. Other than thius, there is no way, at least no cheaper way, pull ur cylinder, hone it out, port it, rering it, and do what I just said above or get a cheap big bore kit. Before you go cheap big bore, ask me why I did not go that way.
HondaElite5094
Noob
Noob

Post by HondaElite5094 »

Alright I think i might do that, a bigger jet, a pully kit, and exhaust. Does the exhaust help a lot? When i rejet the carb i would do that with the new exhaust and pully kit on, correct? What speeds do you think i will be able to get from this? Will this be hard on my engine? and is VTcycles is a good place to get the parts from? sorry about all of the questions but i just want to make sure i am doing this right.
1994 honda elite
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

itzmepete wrote:....the Corsa kit, had to drill my carb jet out with a 1 mm drill bit which equals a #100 jet. Everything else...
really? are you sure of this?
i need a #100 jet and and i have a few extras. i would much rather drill one then pay 8$ for a new one. Are you 100% sure of this?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Thats how it was explained to me, a 85 is .85 millimeters, a 100 is 1.00 millimeters, a 120 is 1.20 millimeters, etc.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Yup, I installed the Polini Corsa, took my jet and used a 1mm drill bit. Drilled it striaght and works fine.Infact, I ran it bout 30 minutes and hard at times. Plug is a nice brown just like the sample pic I seen on here. I would go down to a place that sells small drill bits, and get several small ones up to a 100. I'd get thses drill bits. If you are unsure of the size, get a digital micrometer and check it, then drill out the jet to a .88 and work your way up.

You can buy a spare jet for $5 just in case you screw it up. I am willing to be that with a derestricted exhaust or a new exhaust, opened up airbox and the jet redrilled, you can get 8 mph more. With a stock 94 to 01 Dio motor. My 1999 runs perfect with the jet drilled out.

#65 0.0350 inch 0.889 mm
#64 0.0360 " 0.914 mm
#63 0.0370 " 0.940 mm
#62 0.0380 " 0.965 mm
#61 0.0390 " 0.990 mm
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i ran 9:1 gears for a year with a hp pully kit and a ss coil, ran 55 all day, stock 50cc. now im puching around 85 haha
HondaElite5094
Noob
Noob

Post by HondaElite5094 »

so should i just start with a high speed pully kit , larger jet and open up my air box? Or should i get a new exhaust also? do they help a lot?
1994 honda elite
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

HondaElite5094 wrote:so should i just start with a high speed pully kit , larger jet and open up my air box? Or should i get a new exhaust also? do they help a lot?
i don't see why every one wants a different pipe. the stock pipe is good. Every one with stock bikes always want a dif. pipe. i got a 72cc bore kit with a stock pipe and it works fine.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Well, on a 2 stroke, you are restricted in power by 2 things, how much air you get in via carb and how much air you let out via exhaust.
Take for example, if you placed a valve that you can open and close between your cylinder head and muffler. Place this valve full open, start your scooter, put throttle wide open, then close your exhaust valve, your exhaust valve WILL operate as a throttle. The engine will rev up and down when you open it and close it. Not the most efficent way but yes it works. simple principal that you can't get more in the engine if you can't get the exhaust out. Thats why the restricted models had the washer welded in the muffler flange.

Remember the small cox .049 engines? They had reeds and was full throttle run. Then they sold small throttles. Itw as a small barrel that went around the cylinder head and opened or close the exhaust port.

So, only makes sense that when you need to replace the muffler, for $25 more, you can get a preformance muffler such as the R1. Better flow means more power, especially on a 2 stroke. While the bike runs great now, with the big bore and what not, I can almost guarantee it will run better with a better flowing muffler.

On that note, just tore my bike apart. Got my new 8:44 to 1 gear set from ebay and I don't like it. Was a generic gearset and the quality was not good, a long story.Pulled the speed variator and looked at it. Speed variator was shot, more flat spots than I can count! The belt was so so. I had to order a new set of gears Koso brand, good name brand and quality, a new Polini belt and a new speed variator also name brand. Hopefully I will hear something from the guy that sold me the gear set and get my money back! On the flip side, will have the tranny done Saturday when my parts come in. Everything will be top notch now, except the muffler. That will have to wait, no more $$$ !! If it ran 38 to 40 mph with these shot parts, I can only imagen what it will run with the new parts!
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

i ran my stock elite-s at 53mph for 26,000 mi. with the correct derestrictions and 9 to 1 gears, everything else was bone stock!
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
HondaElite5094
Noob
Noob

Post by HondaElite5094 »

So what should i do im still not sure what to get or do, a high speed pully, new jet, open up air box and muffler. Where should i get the muffler from?
1994 honda elite
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

I'd start by opening your side cover, check your speed variator. My bike only had 2800 miles and all my rollers were flat all over. So, I would again, replace the speed variator, belt, make sure muffler is derestricted or replace it with a preformance muffler, gear set if you can change it. It isn't expensive, just a pain to change as you have to have it pressed out, then play with the jets. It should cost as follows

$45 plus $3 S/H Preformance Speed Variator New
$99 plus $15 S/H Preformance Muffler $119 for Steel $99 is black
$45 plus $3 S/H Polini wide belt
$50 to $75 Shipping varies for gear set, I would use 9 to 1 if using stock bore. If you are careful, you should be ok and be able to reuse the same cover gasket. Otherwise $12 for gasket with shipping.
$6 Carb Jet plus $6 shipping, as a back up just incase.

Trim airbox, free, I can send you pics. Only after you have carb jetted correctly.

Now, you will have to probably take your gear set to a machine shop to have the old gear pressed off and the new gear pressed in. Above is what I would do, if I did not want to do a big bore kit.

Actually, I would also redo my stock cylinder simply cuz I am a mechanic and have access to alot of tools and stuff. I would have it bead blasted and repainted, blast my piston to look like new again, hone out my cylinder, knowing what I know now when I got the Polini, I would bore the exhaust out quite a bit and redo the piston skirt as I saw on the polini to get more out of the boost port. Then re-ring it and of course you would need a new base gasket, head gasket and rings.

Do the above minus the cylinder, You will get way more preformance and should be happy with it.