Turbo

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

toad772
Elite
Elite

Re: Turbo

Post by toad772 »

maddog wrote:how about you guys get "real jobs" spend mega bucks on engines then you can run your mouth like me :coolcruise: but you still can't beat me :smile:
All you do is brag about things you say you have but never post any pics so I don't think any of these supposed things exist.
PS3 it only does everything.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

toad772 wrote:
maddog wrote:how about you guys get "real jobs" spend mega bucks on engines then you can run your mouth like me :coolcruise: but you still can't beat me :smile:
All you do is brag about things you say you have but never post any pics so I don't think any of these supposed things exist.
:drama: :surprise: oh no he didn't!
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

Here is one homebrewed turbo charged two stroke scooter. This one is not for an easy project.

A link to the build thread is here: http://scooterinvasion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1923
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
1fstss
Noob
Noob

Post by 1fstss »

looking at my nq50 today when rebuilding the carb i think its do-able... if i can find a dinky self contained turbo i might start playing with it... a buddy was joking and recomended putting my TD06 20G turbo from my Laser on it HAHA but this is something id love to try!! im not looking at it being reliable and lasting a million miles but just to see it work!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

1fstss wrote:looking at my nq50 today when rebuilding the carb i think its do-able... if i can find a dinky self contained turbo i might start playing with it... a buddy was joking and recomended putting my TD06 20G turbo from my Laser on it HAHA but this is something id love to try!! im not looking at it being reliable and lasting a million miles but just to see it work!
A turbo designed to work with a much larger engine isn't gonna work at all with a 50 cc motor. The drive side of the turbo (the exhaust side) has to be able to spin up the turbo and 50 cc of exhaust is not gonna spin up a turbo off a motor of 1 liter or more. Do the math, 50 cc are what percentage of 1 liter (or whatever size the motor is). They obviously make turbos of the right size, so do some research.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
lazermule
Noob
Noob

Post by lazermule »

Bear45-70 wrote:
1fstss wrote:looking at my nq50 today when rebuilding the carb i think its do-able... if i can find a dinky self contained turbo i might start playing with it... a buddy was joking and recomended putting my TD06 20G turbo from my Laser on it HAHA but this is something id love to try!! im not looking at it being reliable and lasting a million miles but just to see it work!
A turbo designed to work with a much larger engine isn't gonna work at all with a 50 cc motor. The drive side of the turbo (the exhaust side) has to be able to spin up the turbo and 50 cc of exhaust is not gonna spin up a turbo off a motor of 1 liter or more. Do the math, 50 cc are what percentage of 1 liter (or whatever size the motor is). They obviously make turbos of the right size, so do some research.

Yeah, it would probably start to spool around 20,000 engine rpm....

As far as turbo 2 strokes go, case reed valve engines turbo well, piston port engines I have heard are a complete waste of time. I have ridden a turbo'd 700cc case reed Polaris snowmobile that was off the hook F-A-S-T....fast.

LM
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

The turbo that I referenced is on a street engine. A minarelli based Aprillia. It may have a 47mm bore but is surprisingly stock. He lists the part number for the turbo if you want one. Makes my wallet hurt just thinking about it.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

Ha! I've got a '90 laser rs turbo! I'm on a "small" td05 16g making 18lbs. I don't think a 20g would spool...no...no it wouldn't spool.

Does anyone know the total CFM a stock nq50, sa50/se50 and others inhale? Max cfm?
I'm thinking an electric turbo would work a LOT better.

Think leaf blower on a small car motor. Maybe a small, modified hair dryer on a spree?

Also a turbo is NOT a supercharger. They operate on two entirely different principles with the same end result. They compres air into the cylinder to preload a compression stroke. If you're just going to sprew through technicalities you're just going to sound like an internet douche.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

nickisaninja wrote:

Does anyone know the total CFM a stock nq50, sa50/se50 and others inhale? Max cfm?

Think leaf blower on a small car motor. Maybe a small, modified hair dryer on a spree?

Also a turbo is NOT a supercharger. They operate on two entirely different principles with the same end result. They compres air into the cylinder to preload a compression stroke. If you're just going to sprew through technicalities you're just going to sound like an internet douche.
:*:

Anything that compresses air is a SUPERCHARGER.

A turbo is a specific type of supercharger. :eyeroll:

"electric superchargers" :jack: =Waste of time. :crazy:

A hair dryer, Really? :crazy: That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

A rough calculation is:
50cc displacement ~ 3.0 cu/in
1 cu/in ~ 0.0005787 cu/ft

displacement(cu/ft)/rev x rpm = cu/ft/minute
Assuming 10,000 rpm:
3 * 0.005787 * 10000 = 17.4 cu/ft/minute
Leaf blowers and hair dryers are designed for lots air flow, at almost nil pressure. Thus on those examples, when the output is constricted, the pressure will rise very little.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

It is BS like this that make people think Electric superchargers actually do anything. :jack:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsmobi ... 5025wt_937
DaylightDies
Spree
Spree

Post by DaylightDies »

Its $4k for the turbo that would fit. Who would spend that much on one part??
'98 Yamaha Jog Cy50k
'96 "Frankenstein" Japanese Jog Cy50
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

nickisaninja wrote:
Ha! I've got a '90 laser rs turbo! I'm on a "small" td05 16g making 18lbs. I don't think a 20g would spool...no...no it wouldn't spool.

O yeah i have a 95 tsi awd with a t25 pushin 16psi and im still able to understand the true meaning of a TURBO SUPER CHARGER before you start tell everyone there idots google it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: TURBO IS A VERSION OF SUPER CHARGER THERE THE SAME THING JUST DIFFERENT NAMES FOR THE DIFFERENT STYLES LIKE ECLIPSE & TALON maybe you will understand that
nickisaninja
Goped
Goped

Post by nickisaninja »

mousewheels wrote:
A rough calculation is:
50cc displacement ~ 3.0 cu/in
1 cu/in ~ 0.0005787 cu/ft

displacement(cu/ft)/rev x rpm = cu/ft/minute
Assuming 10,000 rpm:
3 * 0.005787 * 10000 = 17.4 cu/ft/minute
Leaf blowers and hair dryers are designed for lots air flow, at almost nil pressure. Thus on those examples, when the output is constricted, the pressure will rise very little.
alright FINE a turbo is a supercharger.

Now onto more useful arguments. at ~18cfm, call it 20cfm, it would be easy to forcefeed that much air. Leaf blowers don't make much pressure and flow enough to be considered waaayy overkill but I'm using readily available examples and not exotic turbo setups.
An electric turbo would be simple and efficient on a scooter.
As for posting ebay ads for a car? Well...it works in theory but 900watts for 3psi sounds like a waste of time to me. I agree with you the application is complete rubbish for a car.
I say why not?
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

:jack: Try it if you want to :jack: