Just Got A Spree, Help Me Go Over 30MPH

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Static-
Noob
Noob

Just Got A Spree, Help Me Go Over 30MPH

Post by Static- »

so i just purchased my first scooter

1984 Honda Spree 50cc

It will only hit 30mph, i need to get a little more speed out of the sucker. everything i have had time to read is for the newer models 94+.

can anyone give me some links to some parts that will help me out. im looking at getting around 40mph.

i have about $500 to spend to get it where i want it.

PLEASE HELP!!!

and a picture of my true baby, all my knowledge for now is in VW's, i hope to change that.

jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Uh... for $500 you could drop a dio motor in that sucker and really scoot. Most people on here would be happy with 30 MPH, its about average for a spree. 40 is really too much to ask for because the spree doesn't have gears and therefore isn't very fun to mod.

Oh, and the spree was only produced from 84-87. The "94+ models" that you're reading about are elites. They have the dio motor in them that is highly customizable.
Static-
Noob
Noob

Post by Static- »

as i said im new with this, i dont know what a dio motor is.

seriously though, drop some links. i can turn wrenches. i just need to know what to buy
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You cant buy any performance parts for a spree. Get a post 1994 honda elite engine (dio motor) and its almost a bolt up, only thing you have to do is make a new kickstand and extend the shock mount.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Static-
Noob
Noob

Post by Static- »

so no performance parts, wow

so what mods can i do to help her out a little..

Static-
Noob
Noob

Post by Static- »

Karman
Goped
Goped

Post by Karman »

Nice looking Golf - I drive a '93 Corrado. As you've probably figured out by now, this site is pretty much the Vortex of Honda 50cc scooters.

If you can spend $500, I would probably sell the Spree and just buy a '94-'01 Elite. With the funds from the sale combined with your $500, you would have an Elite and money left over to buy parts with. Probably easier and quicker than tracking down a Dio and doing the swap. Your Spree looks pretty nice - you should be able to get some nice $ for it.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

Karman wrote:Nice looking Golf - I drive a '93 Corrado. As you've probably figured out by now, this site is pretty much the Vortex of Honda 50cc scooters.

If you can spend $500, I would probably sell the Spree and just buy a '94-'01 Elite. With the funds from the sale combined with your $500, you would have an Elite and money left over to buy parts with. Probably easier and quicker than tracking down a Dio and doing the swap. Your Spree looks pretty nice - you should be able to get some nice $ for it.

.... * yea thats what im talking about buy an elite s
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Karman wrote:Nice looking Golf - I drive a '93 Corrado. As you've probably figured out by now, this site is pretty much the Vortex of Honda 50cc scooters.

I would totally have to agree with this, especially if you're into tuning. Dio style block is tuning galore and all easy to get to and enjoyable.
projects galore :nerd:
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Don't pick on the poor little Sprees. They can go fast, you just have to get creative. Just because you can't buy ready made bits doesn't mean it can't be done. Do a proper tuned pipe and it will scream. A little exhaust port work helps also. The Spree motor has an 8000 rpm redline. Mine runs 11000+ and hasn't blown up yet. That should push you into the 40 mph range. Spend a couple evenings with the Jennings two stroke tuners book and set your Spree free.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

keithw wrote:Don't pick on the poor little Sprees. They can go fast, you just have to get creative. Just because you can't buy ready made bits doesn't mean it can't be done. Do a proper tuned pipe and it will scream. A little exhaust port work helps also. The Spree motor has an 8000 rpm redline. Mine runs 11000+ and hasn't blown up yet. That should push you into the 40 mph range. Spend a couple evenings with the Jennings two stroke tuners book and set your Spree free.

keithw
Yea, port it, shave the head, 1/2" belt mod, port the intake manifold.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:You cant buy any performance parts for a spree. Get a post 1994 honda elite engine (dio motor) and its almost a bolt up, only thing you have to do is make a new kickstand and extend the shock mount.
will the wiring harness work?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Should be pretty close, I have never done it.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

how about the exhaust and carburetor?
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

A good tuned pipe, port the intake manifold, rejet the carb, mod the air box. That's what I've done to my motor and it will do 40 mph. The stock jet is a 65, I'm up to an 80. Anything less and it wants to sieze. Mine has a variable front pulley that I've fiddled with. Hasn't changed the top end just made it shift up later. The tuned pipe I built doesn't come on till almost 30 then pulls to 40. At 35 I can cruise at half throttle. I'm at 2000 ft elevation. When I went to 5000 I had to rejet to 75. At sea level I expect I'd be at 85.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?