Running but still lean...w/reward to whoever diagnoses it

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

shortcal
Goped
Goped

Running but still lean...w/reward to whoever diagnoses it

Post by shortcal »

I have a 2001 elite with racing variator and this weekend I got my r1 installed. It was only hitting about 35 after installed the muffler so I was told it was probably just way lean. I cleaned the carb thoroughly, and drilled out main jet to .889mm. At first it wouldnt run so i jumped it with my car and that got her started. It wouldnt go more than 10mph so i loosened the throttle cable on the top of the carb and it ran better. I threw in a new plug and ran at WOT for about a mile (only hitting about 32mph) and checked the plug it was a light tan on one side of ground electrode and lighter on the other side. So im assuming that its still lean for whatever reason since im hardly getting any power. Should I adjust the airscrew left/right? throttle cable? You tell me

Anywho this is now my main form of transportation since my grilfriends car was hit so she has to take mine to work now so I kinda need this to get around. Whoever helps me get back to 40mph I'll paypal them $25.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Do you have an air filter?

Try screwing the air screw in a turn. Pu your needle clip on the lowest notch and keep the throttle cable on tight.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

air filter is in and freshly oiled. i turned the air screw in. Also some new problems that I didnt notice before the battery is not charging when i hooked it up to my car for 15 mins unhooked the cables and the push start didnt even try and work. Once kick started the blinkers only worked at full throttle once i let off a little they stopped working. Although it did reach about 37 mph but still lacking top end power that it used to have.
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

Also it still didnt turn over after I got driving it and push started it.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dead battery?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

Nope somehow the fuse running off the battery got disconnected Im a idiot. Adjusted the air screw 3/4 turns out and still about 35-36mph. The plug did look a little darker but still not near where it needs to be.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Bigger main, try a 100 (1mm).
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

You really think i would need a 1mm main jet just because I got a r1? Vt cycles said like a 82 or 85 would do.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dunno, but if its runnin lean, what else are you gonna do?
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

true true I was just wondering if it was possible I coulda put the carb together wrong or something like that
snowdaze00
BMX
BMX

Post by snowdaze00 »

Just to verify that your exhaust is not pluged, take it loos from the head and run it a short distance to see if it runs better. Just an easy check.
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

its a new exhaust so I think its safe to assume that its not exhaust
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Yea.
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

light tan.. sounds pretty close to me...
Maybe you should look at your weights.. did you change them to different grams? You might want to see if they are no flat spots on them , or even go a little lighter, like 6/7...Stock that bike should go about 35 pretty easy. Seem like that the only thing that you changed besides the pipe..
you'll figure it out sooner or later!
aloha
D
happyman
Spree
Spree

Re: Running but still lean...w/reward to whoever diagnoses i

Post by happyman »

i still think your fat on the main jet how much oil do you have on the air filter?? did you do the airbox mod?? make sure the motor is really warmed up good before you adjust the A/F mixture screw. you want to adjust about 1/8th turn at a time and let it sit and idle for a while before you move it more yo want the fastest idle you can get then when your where you want it adjust it idle screw. i think Keoni told you pretty close but watch it . i founld the air is much differant where i am at compared to where he is at and it will require a lot more fuel.you just may be right on the jet, but as was mentioned you need to peek at the rollers. and the rest of the transmission. tke it all apart and clean it all up good. whe i had my 2000 stock it ran by the speedo 43 mph and 97 did 37 i replaced the rollers ands cleaned it all up got it to run just over 20 mph. if ya have some lighter ones give um a try you may be suprised. clean up the boss in the variator real good and all the belt dust in fronm and real pulleys is the belt out of spec?
shortcal wrote:I have a 2001 elite with racing variator and this weekend I got my r1 installed. It was only hitting about 35 after installed the muffler so I was told it was probably just way lean. I cleaned the carb thoroughly, and drilled out main jet to .889mm. At first it wouldnt run so i jumped it with my car and that got her started. It wouldnt go more than 10mph so i loosened the throttle cable on the top of the carb and it ran better. I threw in a new plug and ran at WOT for about a mile (only hitting about 32mph) and checked the plug it was a light tan on one side of ground electrode and lighter on the other side. So im assuming that its still lean for whatever reason since im hardly getting any power. Should I adjust the airscrew left/right? throttle cable? You tell me

Anywho this is now my main form of transportation since my grilfriends car was hit so she has to take mine to work now so I kinda need this to get around. Whoever helps me get back to 40mph I'll paypal them $25.