engine identification and spree/elite motor swap

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

teeoce
Goped
Goped

engine identification and spree/elite motor swap

Post by teeoce »

Hello all,

First I would like to say that I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and I think it is a great source of information with a lot of good people that know what they are talking about. I would also like to say that I respect it to the fullest.

I have these two engines and am wondering if anyone could identify what year/model elite they are from, and also where I could find any serial numbers on them?

I'm going to be putting both of these engines on sprees. I have already got the wiring figured out, and have had both engines running but not mounted. I wondered if anyone knew the best way to mount them. Also, if things such as the spree throttle cable and slide, air box, and other electrical components are compatible (proper spark?). If I simply wired the oiler to the max, would this be too much oil at lower throttle positions? Also, do elites use petcock valves? I do not see where to hook up the second (bottom) fuel line to the intake. One of the engines I already wired to the spree before the pictures, I have included a picture of the original connection. Any hints, tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Last edited by teeoce on Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Both are pre 94 engines, SN/model # are stamped on the gearbox cover near the clutch end of the trans cover.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

wohh there bat man....... pics big enough
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
lonelywanderer
Spree
Spree

Post by lonelywanderer »

the motor with the shorter intake is prolly an 87 elite or aero motor

and the other one maybe an elite lx looking at the longer manifold or someone may have changed it.

wiring is pretty much matching colors

motor and shock mounts will have to be made. looks like one of the motors has a mount on it so maybe you can use that as a base and work from there
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

nether are dios, they dont have a split trans... cover
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

There is a guy on here named "ChevyGuyJay" who put a SE50 motor on a spree.
Both those motors look like SE50 to me but i could be wrong. 87-93 elite motors. or 85+ areo 50 motors.

Ill point him in this direction. He will be able to go over what he did to make the motor fit.
If i remember correctly he just used the kick stand mount to mount the motor, and went without a kickstand.

also, those pictures are huge. If you upload though imageshack you can use the resize tool and make them smaller. More people would be able to view the page so you might get more info.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dac wrote:There is a guy on here named "ChevyGuyJay" who put a SE50 motor on a spree.
Both those motors look like SE50 to me but i could be wrong. 87-93 elite motors. or 85+ areo 50 motors.

Ill point him in this direction. He will be able to go over what he did to make the motor fit.
If i remember correctly he just used the kick stand mount to mount the motor, and went without a kickstand.

also, those pictures are huge. If you upload though imageshack you can use the resize tool and make them smaller. More people would be able to view the page so you might get more info.
The spree never had a kicksatnd, only a center stand, he was gonna add a kickstand to the frame tube under the floor last I knew.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Looks like my se50p which isn't good, it looks like you have the restricted mufflers, expect 25 mph.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

oh yeah, my se50p is a 1987 elite
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

mopedman wrote:wohh there bat man....... pics big enough
yes, please resize!
projects galore :nerd:
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

ah....yes. both engines are SE50 engines. one has a 94 and up intake on it. if u can find the split throttle cable, id put it on. i never wired open any of my pumps. engine mount isnt to bad. what i did to mine was remove the kickstand. i removed the engine mount from frame. bolt it in place where the kickstand use to be. if u have a couple of wore out rollers layin around, these work perfect. bolt up the SE50 engine to the mount with one rollor on each side of the mount. on my engine i changed the pick up coil and generator, so all my engine connections all plugged in. didnt have to cut anything. now the shock mount. u wanna look for a piece of 4" c-channel about 3" wide. weld on a piece of 1/2" piece of steel on top of the c-channel. bolt the c-channel under the battery box. weld on a bolt on top of that. that will give u your height. thats about it. heres a couple of pics of the spree i once had.......... :cry:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You sold it!!! I oughta go hit you for that, was a nice bike, best lookin spree paintjob.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

yea, money was tight kenny. had to let it go. :cry:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

The kick stand mount and the mounts on the motor are almost exactly the same width, so the engine will not fit on the outside or the inside of it. Any ideas? Also, how is the SE50p exhaust restricted? The opening in the muffler where it attached to the head is about 1 inch in diameter.