Intake

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

If you don't want to mess up the original part, buy a spare one off Ebay and file that out. They show up all the time cheap.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Post by peter1sp »

i just got an 87 intake off ebay. Will that fit my 86?
1981 CM400 C... Former Rides: 1986 Honda NQ50
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

yes. that is one of the many interchangeable parts.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Post by peter1sp »

ok well i filed the intake and installed it. I have a little more power, but nothing too appreciable :( .
I want this little guy to cruise at 35. What will allow me to do that without sacrificing torque?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

nitrous.lol
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

OK, so who here is going to volunteer to try this NOX thing out?

As for cruising speed, besides cleaning the carbon from the exhaust port and head, you can file the pulley and drill out the exhaust. If you get really aggressive, you can mill down the head a bit too.

I found that my derestricted exhaust runs 1) noisier 2) better midrange 3) no faster 4) cooler. I was surprized by #4, which I noticed today after switching back to the old exhaust. Mine's an 84, the "newer" ones seem to top out a little faster for some reason.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

well i can tell u from having an 84 and 87, that the piston on the 87 is domed. that means more compression. the pulley is also heavier.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

I also filed the intake and it did nothing, nodda, zero, no difference whatsoever. I don't no where vette gets the idea that it will improve speed by 4 or 5 miles per hour. Mine cruises at 30mph before I filed the intake and still cruises at 30. In my case I would have to vote against filing the intake. It was just a waist of time.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

are you sure u did it right? there are pics of what it should look like on the pics site. i know at least 1 person from the site has tried it and it worked for them.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Yep I have the sides on the inside widened out about as much as it can go so there is a clear path to the carb. I bought an extra one from paul Richardson just in case it got screwed up. It just didn't have any effect on mine whatsoever.
peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Post by peter1sp »

Let me clarify. I definitely have a low end and midrange boost from filing the intake. However, my top end is no better, but it does accelerate harder to its to it's cruising speed of 30mph. It still tops out at 25 up hills though. Who was it that said theirs tops out at 35 on Hills?

A new thing I have noticed is that is almost feels like there is a rev limiter on it. It will get up to 30 and then I will start to go down a slight grade and the engine will bobble a little at 30 mph. However, if I go down a steep hill it will spool up and hit 35 easily and hold it until I start to go up hill again or if it goes long enough on a level ground.

I have:
1. Cleaned/Rebuilt the carb
2. Cleaned the air cleaner
3. Filed the intake.
4. Checked the exhaust and it is free and clear

Next step.. Lose about 20 lbs and see if that has any effect :lol:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

There is no rev limiter. Revving the Spree with the rear wheel off the ground should prove that to you. It simply doesn't make enough power to go any faster than 30 - 35 on flat ground; it powers out at that speed. As I look at this design more and more it looks like (besides not having a variator) that the transfer ports are just too small. The Aero and Elite have longer exhaust/intake durations (and thus larger ports) which probably help them with power. Look at the service manual under "specs."

The Spree jug's exhaust duct, though, won't easily be enlarged. If you look at them, any enlargement would likely go through the jug wall. It's about 16mm now. Which leaves adapting over a '85 - '87 Aero jug (which I think is the same as an '87 or so Elite.) These have larger exhaust/intake durations, and thus the ports are probably larger as well. It looks like it would fit with modification to the engine case. The overall diameter is the same, but the bump-outs for the intake runners are larger. The exhaust ports out the corner of the jug, rather than the front.

This would probably require splitting the case, in order to get all the ground material out. Not for the faint of heart. And you'd still be left with a non-variator scooter. But the aftermarket '85-87 Aero 70cc jugs would bolt up.

I'd really like to get my hands on a spent '85 - '87 Aero/Eliet engine to take apart and see what will bolt up to the Spree.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

peter1sp
BMX
BMX

Post by peter1sp »

d***! ** Oooh automatic censoring.**
If the little guy weren't so economical, I would paint him and sell him for a down payment on a Ninja 250r, my unicorn. Oh well one of these days I won't be such a poor student and can afford atleast a Stella. For now I guess I will stick with the 80+ mpg and the anemic cruising speed.
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

i definatly suggest filling the restiction out. you will se a noticable improvement in mid range power. After diong this i had to increase my main jet from a 75 to an 80. now the spree pulls hard all the way to 55kph. now i just need to figur out how to gain some low end power.
i wonder if different clutch springs would let the engin rev higher befor kicking in??any thoughts on this???