whats the point of a bigger carb?

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

whats the point of a bigger carb?

Post by PimpinSpree »

whats the difference between getting a bigger carb and just putting a bigger main jet in a stock carb?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Better flow and adequate supply of A/F to a big bore engine.. bigger carb not needed on stock block
projects galore :nerd:
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

so if i do i big bore do i def need a bigger carb?

what about a spree carb with a bigger jet on an se50 elite motor
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Spree carb on SE50 will be underpowered at best.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GN Racer
Goped
Goped

Post by GN Racer »

PimpinSpree wrote:so if i do i big bore do i def need a bigger carb?
Not necessarily, but you will need a larger jet for sure.
PimpinSpree wrote:what about a spree carb with a bigger jet on an se50 elite motor
Open up the carb a bit with a grinder (after disassembly). Not too much though. You can open it up to the stock SE50 size, or larger. I used to run an opened up Spree carb on my '87 Elite engined Aero with a 62cc Proma kit. I think the jet size I used was a 90 or 95

I later upgraded to a 18mm Mikuni w/Kitaco manifold, but I don't remember if there was an improvement in performance. It's still on there so I know that it didn't hurt performance.
Geoff

'85 Aero 50 w/Dio 66cc
'87 Elite 50 w/Dio 72cc
'87 Spree -SOLD!
Puch Magnum
Yamaha Razz POS -Soon to be Dio powered!
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

what do you mean open it up? I've never heard of doing this, so i can only guess. Like grind off some aluminum where the butterfly opens up?
GN Racer
Goped
Goped

Post by GN Racer »

Yes, grind, file, Dremel to flow more air. Not too much though, and definitely not on a stock bike with no mods. Also FYI, there's no butterfly, there's a slide.

Although it's pretty easy, I would not recommend doing this if you've never done it before. The carb has to be completely disassembled, and you have to be careful not to overdo anything.

If you do run the Spree carb, don't forget to swap out the slide as well. It will be different. Also, don't worry about the bystarter; Just leave it unplugged. You will not notice a difference. Don't forget to re-jet! Always better to be rich than lean!..

When modifying your bike, do ONE modification at a time whenever possible. That way you can determine if it made a difference or not. It also makes tuning much simpler...
Geoff

'85 Aero 50 w/Dio 66cc
'87 Elite 50 w/Dio 72cc
'87 Spree -SOLD!
Puch Magnum
Yamaha Razz POS -Soon to be Dio powered!