1986 honda spree i drilled out my muffler but its not faster

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

1986 honda spree i drilled out my muffler but its not faster

Post by needfasterthan31 »

i have been reading on here on how to get a spree to move a little faster,i went and bought a real long drill bit(3/8"diameter if i remember exactly) and drilled through my muffler end hole all the way through and its a lot louder now and kind of annoying sounding but i see no performance gain,actually seems about a 1/2mile per hour slower and honestly used to climb a hill a little better.did i do something wrong or drill too high? are the baffles right in the center or all the way from top to bottom?did i use to big of a drillbit.i have experimented with turning my air screw from 1 turn out to 2 turns out,it seems to run exactly the same no matter where its at.i have it at 1 1/2 turns out right now.the spree runs great and it goes about 32 flat ground with my 220 pounds on it.new air filter,new plug,cleaned out the carb.do i need to modify or gut the airbox and go to a k&n to work with the muffler being drilled?
01 Elite SR50
>Polini Contesta 72cc Kit (To be soon installed)
>R1 Pipe (To be soon installed)
>Keli Variator
>9:1 gears
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

so can you explain what and where to do to my muffler,thanks
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

He is a * that brags about his fast s*** (which he actually has) and never really does much. H is talking about porting, something a noob should not attempt.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

kenny and maddog nothing you said answers my question on how to unrestrict the spree or anything about what exactly to do to the muffler or airbox gutting or anything else.,could you guys or anyone out there post a response that i can do something with and get this turd spree going a little quicker for i dont get run off the side of the road like usual.thanks.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Drill 2 baffels
dremel out the intake manifold
If you want to go faster at the expense of time it takes to get there: replace the belt with a 1/2" wide one.

Airfilters besides unmodded stock almost never work no matter what.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
playingwithmud
BMX
BMX

Post by playingwithmud »

I dont know a whole lot about Handa sprees or any of there scooters but I have been reading alot about drilling the exhaust and you were only supose to drill though 2 baffels. If you driled all the way though the whole thing then you no longer have enough back pressure to run porperly. As for porting out the intake I agree with Kenny_McCormic and is something you should not be doing if you dont know a hole lot. I have not tryed this myself yet but plan on doing so but I need a new case and motor anyways so I might as well have fun with whats left of mine and just blow it up. My suggestion is to go out and buy a used muffler and put it on your spree and run it that way till you know what you are doing. Go thought this site and read some of the posts on this topic and then drill out 2 baffels. Thats about all I can suggest.
1985 Honda Aero 80 Copper, 1985 Honda Aero 80 Blue, 1983 Honda Aero 80 Red, 1989 Honda Elite E 50 Black, 1985 Honda Aero Blue and White 50, 2002 Honda Elite 80 Red.
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

i did not feel the drillbit go through any baffles but obviously it did it kind of just went through with ease,ill just buy another stock muffler.ill try that 1/2" belt,any part number you can provide or just go to autozone with the stock belt to match it up.problem is my spree is my only transportation at the moment.hoping i could just drive my spree up there and buy the exact one i need.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Your probably gonna need to go to a belt store, auto parts stroes arent suposed to sell you belts for liability or some * story like that.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I just wish my Spree ran 31 mph. At sealevel on level ground it does 27 mph max.
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

bear 45-70 what year is your spree? i have had 85,86,and 87.the 1987 had quick acceleration and did exactly 35 miles per hour,the 1985 always did like 32mph.the 1986 in my opinion had the slowest take off and did at least 30 up to 32,keep in mind when i used to ride these a lot it was 1988 so all sprees i rode were fairly new or had less than a couple thousand miles.my friend had a white 1984 and it honestly did 40 miles per hour,make sure your airscrew is 1 1/2 turns out,tighten it all the way in then let it 1 1/2 turns out,put a new plug in.i did hear from a guy the white 1984 iowa model spree was the slowest and would only do 27mph,good luck.
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

It's a 1985. It has 3385 miles on it. The last 2000 were put on by me using the Spree as my pit bike while I was still racing and now as a campground bike and a to the post office and the stop and rob here in town. Since I live in a rural unincorporated town, the minimum speed limit is 30 mph and this is hill country. I have mucho 2 stroke (was a certified water cooled 2 stroke mechanic) experience plus worked on race motors too. A new plug has never put it over 27 mph. I need to pull the intake side off and remove any restriction there. Even without a filter in the air box it is no faster. I will recheck the air screw but I do have a manual and it is probably set at the the 1 1/2 turns spec'd. I'm gonna pull the belt and change that. But I have no desire to pull the head and shave it or big bore the engine. 35 mph would be totally acceptable. Otherwise I'm considering sell it and getting something faster. But I only paid $25 for the Spree all those years ago and am a cheap old guy who has lots of time on my hands to make minor mods.
needfasterthan31
Spree
Spree

bear,a 1985 should do over 30 if it is only doing 27 mph flat ground at at least a 1/4 mile wide open there is something wrong,i had a slight bog to mine for a split second at just after takeoff and after that it would go away all i did was clean out the carb but it looked super clean but when i reassembled it the slight bog went away and i noticed the air screw was only 1 1/4" or less out so i took it to 1 1/2' like it should be at stock.i assume yours doesnt bog but will just go 27 mph.but that is too slow for a 1985 you should be doing easily 30mph on a flat road at 220 pounds or lighter.the only other thing i can think of is check the belt,it is like 6 screws on the side aluminum cover and takes a few minutes,i just pulled mine off and ripped the gaskets so reattached the gaskets the best i could which would probably held fine on there own but i used high temperature gasket sealant just for safety and it worked perfect
01 Elite SR50
>Keli Variator