Fuels and Additives

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Fuels and Additives

Post by Ziraya »

What difference does higher quality gas give? At gallon tanks every while the extra pennies for premium gas aren't much, but if it's just 'good for the engine' I want my pennies

There's all sorts of chemical gooks for sale for 4 strokes, but how do these translate to 2 stroke engines? For example Restore claims that it repairs the cylinder walls to reduce friction and yada yada yada, for an old engine like mine that sounds like a good idea but I have no idea what it might do differently because of the different system. Zmax also has commercials on all the time, not even really sure what it does.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Higher octane gas without the compression to utilize it is a total waste of money and I know of no scooter (unmodded) that has a enough compression to use anything except regular. Additives are a maze of everything from hurts your engine to really works. I've used a number of them over the years (a lot of years at this point) and I am now using only Seafoam. Why, because it works. This of course is only my opinion, but I was a professional mechanic for years and I also worked as a race mechanic for a national champion for better than 10 years.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Cheap gas, just avoid ethanol blended stuff, can eat the carb and melt the piston. No additives! All the crap you hear about is for 4 strokes and most of that doesnt work! (with the exception of the restore stuff in the silver can, its not just thicker oil, it actually gums up worn cylinder walls to slow down blowby)

Well there is one thing thats pretty good, its called seafoam, put a cap full or 2 in the in at every gas fill up, eats carbon deposits.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

well... that is certainly helpful information, thank you strange and poorly constructed bot, thanks