clutch springs

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

clutch springs

Post by MYSTERE1 »

would different clutch springs allow the engine to rev higher befor the clutch engages??if so this would greatly help full stop take offs while not affecting top speed.
this has to be my biggest pet peve with my spree. i absolutly hat how when i go to leave at a stop light the spree just sits there for a few seconeds. sometimes i give her a little push with my feet to get her moving. but once she hits aboyt 10kph she takes off like a rocket!!( OK maby not a rocket but you get my drift!)
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

roller weights are for a variator. that changes the rpm engagement also. stiffer clutch springs will allow the bike to take off at a higher rpm. think of it like taking off in oh lets say a mustang at 1000 rpms (stock feeling) or dropping the clutch at 5000 rpms. (stiffer springs).

seems like i just answered this in another post.lol.
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

so the question now becomes........ can you get stiffer clutch springs for the spree. or what other scooters have the same clutvh set up as the spree so i can maby do a cross referance.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'd look at springs for the '85 - '87 Aero first (AKA Vision.) You'd want to match diameter and length to be close to stock, diameter being most critical.

I'm not sure how the springs would help you with no variator, but let us know what you find out.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

they helped in my gocart.lol
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

so thay make stiffer springs for the aero? i'm going to do a little research on this thing called the internet but i figured id ask here first! thaks for all your help. this makes me very happy! :) I'll keep you posted on what I find and what becomes of my findings!

mystere
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Try www.vtcycles.com for springs.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

well, well, well.
Just got an email back from Steve at VT Cycles. here is what he had te say:

No, the clutch from a Honda Aero 50 (NB50) 85 thru 87 is larger. The only clutch that is the same size is the 1988 thru 1990 Elite 50 (SB50). It is the same size, but is a two shoe clutch, not a three shoe clutch as the Spree 50 (NQ50).

I do have performance clutch shoe spring sets. But I do not know how much stall you need in your clutch. They sell for $10.00 a set. A set has 3 springs. I will offer you 3 different sets and the shipping to any 50 States for $20.00.

We usually don't work on Spree engines other than in their stock for. I have quite a few customers with really fast Sprees, but they all have 1994 thru 2001 Elite 50 S or SR engines in them.

Talk to you later,
Steve VT of VT Cycles

What do you think of that a?
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

ok, I just got back from honda and found out a lot of information. I con get sprins and roller weights from them cheeper than from CT Cycles. I say cheeper because A: they cost about $10.00 CAD. B: I dont have to pay shipping.

I also can cet a costum expansion chamber made for the Spree for about $150.00 CAD. and I can choose how I want it buit ie: low end, mid range, or top speed.

now I'm not too sure about this next part. But this guy was talking to said he built up his spree and, get this,.........he put a 70cc big bore kit from a DIO on to the Spree casing!!!!!!! I couldn't take all this info in at once so I had to leave. Although I will be talking to him again in depth about this on Monday to find out the particulars. I am excited enough about the rollers, springs and exhaust! yaaay. I'm gonna have on of the nicest Sprees with the "stock" motor around!
MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

So I finished putting in the new clutch springs to day and went for a ride. I got a package of 9 springs. Three different sets. Made by Leo Vince. These are made for the Motori Piaggio.
I used the red (midium) ones to start with. This has made a big improvement on how the spree takes off from a stop. They allow the engine to rev up more before the clutch grabs. I think i will try the yellow(Hard) ones though. as it is still a bit sluggish. but i can honestly say there is a big improvement over the stock springs.

so clutch springs = better take off.
Mystere

1985 Honda Spree.
Front pully mod, 1" longer belt,
gutted pipe, K&N air filter, #80 main jet,
Intake mod, Leo Vince clutch springs,
40 MPH top speed.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Nice stats. You're 5MPH away from where I want to get the Spree's stock engine. Myspree did some work to his Spree and got it running faster; you may want to find out what, exactly, he did.

1" longer belt? I would have thought that would slow you down.

How did you gut the pipe? I cut the back end off one; bike seems to run much cooler now. This only got rid of the rear baffles though.

How's the expansion pipe coming?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

MYSTERE1
Goped
Goped

Post by MYSTERE1 »

I just used a long 1/4" drill bit and made fore holes in the back and drilled out as much of the baffels as I could.

pipe is on hold for the moment. Spree is going in for a port and polish and maybe a new 60cc jcc piston. Then with the new port specs the pipe will be designed around.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

MYSTERE1 wrote:well, well, well.
Just got an email back from Steve at VT Cycles. here is what he had te say:

No, the clutch from a Honda Aero 50 (NB50) 85 thru 87 is larger. The only clutch that is the same size is the 1988 thru 1990 Elite 50 (SB50). It is the same size, but is a two shoe clutch, not a three shoe clutch as the Spree 50 (NQ50).

I do have performance clutch shoe spring sets. But I do not know how much stall you need in your clutch. They sell for $10.00 a set. A set has 3 springs. I will offer you 3 different sets and the shipping to any 50 States for $20.00.

We usually don't work on Spree engines other than in their stock for. I have quite a few customers with really fast Sprees, but they all have 1994 thru 2001 Elite 50 S or SR engines in them.

Talk to you later,
Steve VT of VT Cycles

What do you think of that a?
20 bucks for shipping?!? *.. its just three little springs. :? :?:
projects galore :nerd:
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

how do u think they make their money?lol.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

It sounds like springs are $10/set, and he's offering to sell 3 sets for $20 with shipping. If this is right, I'm guessing he's discounting them b/c he has no idea what to tell you to use.
Admin, Hondaspree.net