oil mix

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

sfzoo
BMX
BMX

oil mix

Post by sfzoo »

recently i've been experimenting with the oil/gas mixture. I started at 40:1, then 36:1, then 32:1 which was what i was running before. I've been doing this for about 5 tanks and have not noticed any significant difference.

1) is this bad to do?
2) I've noticed that starting the bike isn't as quick as it was before, both electric and kick. Once i do get it started it is at really low RPM for a few seconds, then it kicks into high rpm while on the stand...as soon as the bike is warmed up it goes back to normal idle.

problems? solutions?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You need to upjet when you up the oil mix or it will run lean. Run 32:1 in stock bore motors, 25:1 if its got an aftermarket bore, better to replace a plug than burn it up.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
sfzoo
BMX
BMX

Post by sfzoo »

This is the aftermarket parts list from the previous owner.

Honda SR50 Elite
-72cc Malossi Kit
-Carbon Race Reeds
-Carb Kit, OKO 28mm
-Varator Kit
-Belt
-High End Gear Kit
-Heavy Duty Clutch Springs
-Varator Spring Upgrade
-Carb Filter Kit
-Clutch Weights

I'm using RedLine Racing oil Image

any recommendations as far as the mix goes?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

kenny is crazy.

32:1 is good. i would not go any lower then that.
even on a full bore kit, allot of people run 40:1.

different brands of oil burn differently, what it comes down to is you have to play with it.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

also, i know this might sound crazy, but every morning when you get your bike out, shake it. :lol:

if you let your bike sit for so long the oil and the gas could separate. giving it a quick side to side shake before you start it is just a 2 second thing that could help.

like your problem with the idling. could be the motor getting separated gas, then oil, then gas. :? just an idea.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dac wrote:also, i know this might sound crazy, but every morning when you get your bike out, shake it. :lol:

if you let your bike sit for so long the oil and the gas could separate. giving it a quick side to side shake before you start it is just a 2 second thing that could help.

like your problem with the idling. could be the motor getting separated gas, then oil, then gas. :? just an idea.
Try a 20 year old tank of premix! Tar in the petcock! Im not crazy, the only real way to determine if you have enough oil is to tear the motor down to see if there is a puddle in the bottom of the crankcase touching the crank weights, no puddle=oil starved. Better to use more than too little.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

where in the f*** do you get your information?!?!?!?

if there is a puddle in your crank case you motor will not start!
Its a 2 stroke we are talking about, not a 4 stroke. 4 strokes need oil in the crank case. My old elite would not start for a long time, every time i pulled the plug it would come out wet, i tore it apart and there was a puddle in there, i dumped it out, put it back together and it run great.

i mean, you help allot of people, you really are a great help to this forum, but 32:1 on a stock motor??!?!?!? a puddle in your crank case or else the motor is starving oil?!?!?!? What in the * kidding???

dude, learn the difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke. learn what lean and rich is because apparently you don't know. And then learn about tuning.

back to topic, im sorry i went off on kenny. im not trying to topic steal but i get a bit irate when bad advice is given.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Hmm, an experiment is in order. You think I dont know the difference between a 2 and 4 stroke motor?
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

eh, i took kennys advice and tuned my bike around a 25:1 mix. Its working out fine, would it work at 40:1? i have no idea. People tell me all the time that banshees are fine with a big bore at 40: or even 50:1, but i keep thinking, banshees blow up when you hold them wot for too long.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It would work but I wouldnt do it. Ask burnt toast what 40:1 does to a polini corsa on the highway.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

his is a mini stroke 76cc and he was WOT for like 10 minutes.

32:1 is what most people use. Ask burnt toast himself. he made a poll on another site and 32:1 is what most people said for a fully build corsa build. NO ONE! and i mean NO ONE! said anything lower then 32:1 one.
People on that site build full strokers, you really think they are going to say skimp out on oil?
Better yet he got like 8 other people who said 50:1 on a corsa build. Including AKpedrver, a guy who has a 75mph corsa and has the videos to prove it.

now your saying to do 32:1 on a stock bike, an 25:1 on a bored bike. are you nuts?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If I have control over how much oil my motor is getting I might as well make sure its getting enough.

The * said it was okay to kill all the Jews and handicaped, doesnt make it right. 32:1 works fine for just about everything but you cant hurt to go fatter.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

YES IT CAN! :lol:

dude, running rich is sort of a bad thing. Its not just fouling plugs, its built up carbon, less speed, i mean, if running rich wasn't a bad thing honda would have made the stock injectors do like 25:1. everyone that premixed would do like 10:1 BUT running to much oil is a bad thing!

you got to find the right mixture where you get the most power while running clean. not lean. you mix rich and your going to be slower.

if i had two of the same bikes i would premix one at 50:1 and one at 32:1 (both stock) and see which one is faster yet long lasting. Sadly i don't have two of the same bike so i cant compare, but i would bet my 89 elite on the 50:1 bike.

i really don't want to argue, i want to have a discussion. I have read books on two stroke tuning along with massive amounts of info online. The basic idea is simple, rich-bad , lean -really bad , you have to find the in between. now, your puddle theory really was something that just threw me off. that goes against basically everything i have learned.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Read Gordon Jennings book lately? http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/oilpremix.pdf
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

no i have not. but i will read it later tonight when i have more time on my hands.

i also downloaded the hole book that i will read tonight. I trust you dont waste my time.
1991--------Tomos Targa-