Tires for Spree...

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Tires for Spree...

Post by dgsoles »

Okay, so I would like to get some wider and taller tires for my Spree. Here is Lansing, we have HORRIBLE roads, and whenever I hit a pot-hole, I bounce around like a hooker at a bachelor party. Sorry if that offends anyone. Maybe.

Any who, does anyone know what tire sizes will fit on ye olde Spree, and, where one can acquire them? I know that taller tires will hurt my take-off, but I don't care, I need to be able to go over these potholes a bit smoother.

Thanks
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

ha ha lol

and i believe you can only go up to 3.00
any bigger and the tire rubs
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

What about height? I assume that 2.50x10 means 2.5 inches wide by 10 inches tall.

How tall can they go? I just don't want to have to do this by trial and error.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

10 is the rim size so nothing you can do there
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

ohh...I see.....so, I'm going to guess the height off of the rim is another different measurement, right? Just like on car tires.
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

yeah.
my dirt bike is like 14xsome number and then another so
0x0:1

or something stupid.

but if you go up to 3.00 the hight off the tire goes up.
i was referring to rubbing on the top of the tire for this reason not the side.

just to clear that up no attitude involved.
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
Wheelman-111

Tires

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Tires that specify size in inches have a square - or is it round? - profile. A 3.00x10 is 3 wide and 3 tall off the rim. Only if the size is speficied with a slash - as in 100/90 - is the width different from the height.

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/displayca ... cooter.htm

80/90 x 10 should be 3.15 wide (80mm divided by 25.4mm/inch) but only 2,83 inches tall - 90% of 3.15. Should clear heightwise, but measure to be sure. If you know your clearance you could consider a 90/90 x 10 for that Orange County Choppers look... :)
Last edited by Wheelman-111 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

thanks wheel man that's what i was trying to say but could not remember
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
hondadirtracer
BMX
BMX

Post by hondadirtracer »

I have heard of people using Yamaha pw50 dirt bike tires. They have aggressive tread that might help you, although I would have to assume that it will hurt your take-off and top speed.
1987 Spree. Motor is in a rubermaid container.
1979 Honda Express that runs like a top.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Thanks guys, that's the info I needed. And, don't worry, I didn't take anything as attitude, only help :wink:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You could try a stiffer rear chock, SB50 elite shock is a boltup and adds a couple inches.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i replaced the 2.50 on my elite e with 2.75's. it killed the power. top speed didnt improve much either, not enough power to push it
SayTen
BMX
BMX

Tieruhas

Post by SayTen »

I found a pretty good place for replacement tires and the shipping wasn't bad. The have a lot of sizes and tire tubes to match. So check 'em out.

http://motorcyclesuperstore.com/
kentdog007
Goped
Goped

Shock Swap

Post by kentdog007 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:You could try a stiffer rear chock, SB50 elite shock is a boltup and adds a couple inches.
Kenny, Do you think that an Aero shock would serve a similar function and fit an '86 Spree? I figured any 80cc would be more rigid so I got one, and might try it if it looks like it may fit. Any special wise words as far as hardware/installation pointers; so you think I can use the stock mounting hardware from the spree? Thanks.
DJPhatman

Post by DJPhatman »

Order the 280mm rear adjustable pre-load shock from VT Cycles. I am pretty sure it's made by Daytona, but ask Keoni or Steve. I installed on on my '87 SE50P, and my CH80, as I am a big, big guy. They work great, no hooker bouncing! :P