tuner pipe for 99 elite

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

OKC
Goped
Goped

tuner pipe for 99 elite

Post by OKC »

I have a 99 elite S that runs great. I have already installed a high speed pulley and want to hold off on a new 9 or 10 to 1 gear ratio because I do not want to limit my take off speed.

It currently goes around 40-45mph and I am wondering how much difference a high speed tuner pipe would make instead of my stock exhaust.

Also, does the tuner pipe affect take off speed? And could anyone provide a link to where to purchase one? I am getting some other minor work done and would like to have it all done at once if possible.

Thanks in advance

Birdman
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

It wont affect you much at all

I'm running OKO pulley and a YMS exhaust on my 98 Elite S and seeing those exact same speeds 42-45mph

If you plan to stay 50cc you're MUCH better off getting 9:1 gears and enjoying the new top speed, low end will not be affected much as long as you lower weights and upgrade to stiffer springs
projects galore :nerd:
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

burnt_toast wrote:It wont affect you much at all

I'm running OKO pulley and a YMS exhaust on my 98 Elite S and seeing those exact same speeds 42-45mph

If you plan to stay 50cc you're MUCH better off getting 9:1 gears and enjoying the new top speed, low end will not be affected much as long as you lower weights and upgrade to stiffer springs

approx. how long does it take you to get to 40? do really need a long stretch to get it up there? hows pick up from 35 to 40.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Not long at all. My wife has a stock 2000 with just the variator and she keeps up with my 72cc 8:1 geared 94 till about 35 mph. But, i'm 190 pounds and she's 120 lbs so that will make a difference.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

As far as pickup I'm sure the pipe has helped wit that, it does not take a very long stretch at all to get up to 40mph and hold it. 35 to 40mph is very quick too. Just doesn't do much for top speed if you already got a pulley.

no actual times, since its just the temp cruise setup :P

and I'm 145lbs btw
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

35 to 40mph is very quick too
True; that's just the speed my fat a** pulls away from her :lol:. Good news though...it's spring and i'm going to try losing 30 pounds! Can't go out fishin with a big ol gut hangin out :wink:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
OKC
Goped
Goped

Post by OKC »

Mine is really quick off the line and from about 30 +. I done want to do an boring out of the motor etc. I want to keep the actual labor down to a minimum. I am just wondering what pipe to get and if it only adds 3 or 4mph I am cool with that. Also, does it make the scooter louder?
OKC
Goped
Goped

Post by OKC »

What is the stock gear ratio on my scooter?

And if possible can you be more specific on how much the take off speed is affected with the gear ratio.

The last time i checked vt cycles they only had a 10-1 not a 9-1. I am curious as how much my top speed will increase with the new gear ratio. And is the stock scooter safe to handle the increase in speed. Thanks for the all the info guys, I appreciate it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

OKC wrote: What is the stock gear ratio on my scooter?

And if possible can you be more specific on how much the take off speed is affected with the gear ratio.

The last time i checked vt cycles they only had a 10-1 not a 9-1. I am curious as how much my top speed will increase with the new gear ratio. And is the stock scooter safe to handle the increase in speed. Thanks for the all the info guys, I appreciate it.
stock gear ratio is about 12:1

vt isn't the only place for gears ;) daywot on ebay has plenty of 9:1 gears, and if you're looking for just a few mph more that is your BEST bet imo

yes it will be louder with exhaust, but not much with R1 or similar just throatier, plus may have to rejet carb

lol at that last bit.. to answer it, see this vid. doin about 65mph 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-mq6t9sp8

with good tires, yes an elite can handle pretty high speeds, its not recommended of course but the possibilities are there :twisted:
OKC
Goped
Goped

Post by OKC »

thanks for the info. So which do you suggest a 9-1 or 10-1 gear ratio? What kind of difference am I looking at with top speed between the two?
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

:D 9:1!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

veedubh20 wrote::D 9:1!
what he said :wink:

9:1 will reach 50mph, the 10 won't
94cruiser
BMX
BMX

Post by 94cruiser »

I have 01 SA50

I took my scoot to a local shop and the guy says he needs to research on gears for my scoot. I did not want to argue with him as he is praised localy but most of his work is Kawasaki bikes, not much scoot work.
At any rate I gave him a pulley and gears but no weights or springs.
What kind of weighs and springs to get?
thanks.
My scoot is stock and does 35, I think once downhill I got it to 37 or so.
I'm 160LB

2000 Elite SA50
stock
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

research gears.. :roll:

you're gonna get ripped big time I bet to have a shop do this for you

much better off doing it yourself

1.5k center spring, stock grab springs and 6-7g rollers should do well to start with
OKC
Goped
Goped

Post by OKC »

Are weights and springs needed when you change your gear ratio? And why? Sorry Im kind of a noob when it comes to these kinds of areas. Also, how much should i look to spend on gear ratio springs etc?

Thanks guys you have been a big help