Dio, budget 72cc kit has 215 psi compression

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

MediumKahuna
Noob
Noob

Dio, budget 72cc kit has 215 psi compression

Post by MediumKahuna »

Trying a budget build of a 94-01 SA50P with 72cc kit from Taiwan, a used Malossi head and a Typhoon pipe.
I used the thin paper base gasket and fairly thin aluminum head gasket that came with the kit (seems to be holding).
I'm getting 215 psi compression which seems high to me.
That's 14.6 to 1 compression ratio, I think (215 / 14.7 I live at sea level).
I have to put on shoes to kick start it (I don't like to wear shoes).
I just started breaking it in (with stock carb) so I don't know yet how its going to perform but it sure seems like it wants to go like *.

This is what I'm guessing I should do about it (please give me your opinion / suggestions):
I think I should shoot for 11 to 1 compression ratio (I think that's 162 psi compression).
I'm guessing a thicker base gasket would be better than a thicker head gasket or grinding out the head.
The stock crank in it has a 41.4 mm stroke so:
(41.4 / 11) - (41.4 / 14.6) = 0.93mm thicker gasket (to get 11 to 1).
I'm thinking about making a base gasket out of 1.0 mm thick copper.
Will it blow up if I leave the compression at 215?
I have a 24mm carb and new intake that I want to put on it when its broken in.

Also I just want to say that the guys at VT are great.
They've been very supportive of my project even though it is obviously a little stupid, I'm obviously a noob, and I didn't even drop that much cash on them.
Its been fun so far.
Last edited by MediumKahuna on Thu May 21, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have 9 scooters/mopeds mostly late 80s - 90s Hondas. General 2 stroke experience but just started building Hondas
wiguy05
Elite
Elite

Post by wiguy05 »

Please tell me your using race gas with that much compression?

Otherwise I don't think that engine is going to hold together very long, if at all.
2006 Sachs Madass
- FTP 140cc Kit
- Stock 125cc undertail exhaust

2006 Xkeleton Trickster
- Lifan 90cc auto
MediumKahuna
Noob
Noob

Post by MediumKahuna »

wiguy05 wrote:...tell me [you're] using race gas...
I want to run 94 octane so, tell me, what's the best way to lower my compression?
And what compression do I want?

Also, can anyone verify that:
Compression Ratio = Compression divided by 14.7 (at sea level)
or tell me what the formula should be?

Also I'm running a PC, Typhoon pipe which seems really sweet so far
I have 9 scooters/mopeds mostly late 80s - 90s Hondas. General 2 stroke experience but just started building Hondas
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Woah. Don't run it like that; you'll burn up a piston or bearing, esp. on an air-cooled bike.

Get a more traditional aluminum head gasket (or two) and stuff them in there to raise the head and lower compression.

I'm assuming that you're running the stock base gasket. Whether you raise the head or jug depends on how you're trying to set the porting. As a start, the piston should reach the top of the jug (and no farther) at TDC and at BDC the exhaust port should be fully open. If that's happening, then leave the jug alone. Otherwise make the appropriate adjustments. As to which is better: Start with this and then experiment with jug height.

I'm not up on what these bikes can handle, but I think that 162 PSI and premium fuel will be a safe combo; 4 cyl Hondas run about that compression, and on regular fuel.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
MediumKahuna
Noob
Noob

Post by MediumKahuna »

noiseguy wrote:...Get a more traditional aluminum head gasket...
OK, Thanks.
This is the kind of input I'm looking for.
But, I can't find a traditional head gasket for 72cc kit.
Any suggestions on where to look or how to make one?

The service manual says, "114 to 171" psi compression and the Polini kit specs say, "11.7 to 1" compression ratio so, I'm pretty sure the bottom end can take 162.
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Definitely don't run that kind of compression unless it's a race only, built and reinforced to be that way and a limited distance per run bike.

Having super high compression doesn't mean it's good, in fact having just high compression alone doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be good either. At some point having all that extra compression won't yield the kind of power that justifies all the extra heat and metal fatigue it's going to cause in the end.

Tuning it to be around 150ish is a safe starting point since it's the midpoint of what the service manuals will tell you, which will usually be between 110 to about 170ish I believe.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

get a new psi guage, cuz you are way off- lucky if you get 143 psi, my polini evolution 70cc gets 165 psi. yes u-r a noobie :shock:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Well, I'd agree with you if he was using a complete kit from 1 brand. From what I read he's mixing and matching parts and that can yield odd results. I've seen over 200psi on a few bikes before that involved wrong parts being matched up.

A Polini Evo is far different from a Taiwan bore + Malossi head combo. There's more than 1 Taiwan brand out there.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The ultra-high compression is unusual. What head are you running?

Ultimately, you haven't moved the 4 head bolts, right? So start with a stock Honda head gasket and file out the center to the right diameter. At least 4 of the holes will be in the right place and size. These are 0.020" thick. At about $5 each, buy a couple.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
MediumKahuna
Noob
Noob

I made two head gaskets out of 0.025" copper

Post by MediumKahuna »

I made two head gaskets out of 0.025" copper for a total of 0.050" and replaced the head gasket that came with the kit with them.
Now I get 180 psi which is 12.25 compresion ratio.
This is real close to what my formula predicts so I think I got the formula for calculating what compression results from a given gasket thickness right.
maddog wrote:...my polini evolution 70cc gets 165 psi. ...
I calculate 11.2 compression ratio for 165 psi compression which also sounds about right for a top of the line Polini kit. Thanks for sharing, Maddog.

I agree with you guys that I should be down around 150-160 psi.
Also my piston doesn't quit uncover my exhaust port at BDC (thanks noiseguy for that insight).
So If I use the head gasket that came with the kit (about .027 thick) and add 0.040" - 0.050" of base gasket I should be golden.

What I need to know now is a better way to make gaskets from copper or aluminum. I used a zip bit in a drill press and a grinding bit in a Dremel tool which was a huge pain. My friend has a plasma cutter but I'm afraid it will be like trying to crack an egg with a machine gun.
Maybe I'll just buy a whole stack of base gaskets like another guy I saw in here somewhere.

Anyway thanks a lot for the help. I learned a lot.

Here's the formulas I verified during this exercise:
Compression Ratio = Compression (psi) divided by 14.7 (atmospheric pressure).
Don't forget to hold the throttle wide open when checking compression.

The thickness of gasket you need to add to lower your compression ratio by a certain amount equals:
(stroke / CR you want) minus (stroke / CR you got)

For example if you got 180 psi and you want 155 psi compression then:
the compression ratio you got is 180 / 14.7 = 12.25
the compression ratio you want is 10.5 = 155 / 14.5
The stroke on a 94 up Dio is 41.4mm
(41.4 / 10.5) - (41.4 / 12.25) = 0.56mm or 0.022inches of gasket to add.

Also I have two 0.025" copper head gaskets available that cost me 2.5 hours labor each.
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

Get that compression down to like 135/150 and it will run way better. Sometimes more power isnt the key in building these motors.
longevity is the key.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

for the head gasket use either copper or 1100 series aluminum in the dead soft condition. you can cut that stuff with shears, or a stout pair of scissors even. leather punches work great for smaller holes.
Wheelman-111

The Breakfast of Champions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

MK Submits:
My friend has a plasma cutter but I'm afraid it will be like trying to crack an egg with a machine gun.
Isn't that the Breakfast of Champions? Very funny!

My Polini kit with unmodded stock head yielded just over 135 last time I checked. It's clocked about 900 miles.

Building my Malossi 47/65cc kit with Scooterwerx's help on o-ringing and chamber mods, I was able to eliminate gaskets altogether. My piston easily clears the exhaust port and comes within a whisker of the cylinder rim at TDC. (~0.75mm) However Werx enlarged the CC enough that it yielded 143 (cold, just a squirt of GN-2, and only my POS Harbor Freight drill to spin... it might be 150)

I'll be installing and trying it out next Monday.

I'm with Noisy: Making your own gaskets has a rewarding flavor, but at $5.00 per hour it may not be the best use of your precious ScooterWrenching time. I've never tried a plasma cutter, but I saw a pro cut a hole in our stainless-steel countertop with remarkable precision.

I've enjoyed reading and learning from your experience and good humor. Keep it coming!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
MediumKahuna
Noob
Noob

Post by MediumKahuna »

tru72 wrote:...longevity is the key.
I hear you man.
This bike is going to a kid that will probably run it pretty hard and, of course, he doesn't have cash for another rebuild (hence the low cost kit and used parts in the first place).
It doesn't have to go that fast.
I only promised him that it would beat his buddy's stock Eaton Beamer (which does 41 mph).

I'm really liking this forum. You guys are great.
MediumKahuna
Noob
Noob

Post by MediumKahuna »

scooterwerx wrote:...in the dead soft condition. you can cut that stuff with shears...
I did use dead soft copper but, at 0.025" thick its hard to cut and doesn't grind well. I was afraid shears would bend it up and stretch it too much.

From your suggestion, I'm thinking I could use more layers of thinner stuff that cuts easier and come out with less total work.
Thanks