Super Duper Aero Scooter

Does your Spree/Elite already run great, and you're trying to make it quicker/faster? Need a monster motor swap? Discuss your ideas here.

Moderator: Moderator

GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Super Duper Aero Scooter

Post by GIJoeBob »

I am starting a new scooter project.

I have a 1986 Aero 50 that is pretty much complete.

I plan on removing all the panels and going for a rat/chopped sort of look and I want/need ideas to maximize the performance of the bike.

I have been to the VT Cycles and plan on getting several of their items.
http://www.vtcycles.com/vtc_plugins/zog ... .php?cat=4

What are some other options I should consider?
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

soooo, will you be selling the rest of it? the question of how much performance is answered by the question, how much money do i want to dump into this thing!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

scooterwerx wrote:soooo, will you be selling the rest of it? the question of how much performance is answered by the question, how much money do i want to dump into this thing!
Whatever I end up not using I will be selling. As far as how much money, that will be a judgment call weighing cost/benefit.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Talk to Wheel-man, he is the Aero sensei
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Re: Super Duper Aero Scooter

Post by turtle13 »

i would say a big bore kit, and a variator are in quick order. other than that... not sure. maybe design an exhaust with an expansion chamber?
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

ruckus variator and leo vince sp3 will get 45mph easy, a 3.0-10 will give a few more.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

I took a picture of the naked scooter -

crappily removed the background -

and then made the frame mods I am thinking of just to get an idea of the look -

raked the fork out a bit, stretched the frame and stretched the motor mount.
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

all i have to say is if you make a longer motor mount, you need to document heavily the process, as well as share plans. i was thinking about doing this over the winter when i plan on putting a big bore kit on the scoot. if new mounts were fabricated you could also off-set the mounts to the side a little accommodate for a larger rear tire.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

not too much room for larger tires, i mocked up a ruckus wheel, 10x3.0, and theres no way. it has less than a 1/16" clearance on the case side, mine is barely tweaked and it rubbed. with the LV SP3, no way, stock muff maybe.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Nice photo mock up work. I've been trying to visualize what you were going to do. If a genuine Aero frame tube piece would ease the frame lengthening, PM me, will make an attractive deal.. Great project - can't wait to see your progress.
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

turtle13 wrote:all i have to say is if you make a longer motor mount, you need to document heavily the process, as well as share plans. i was thinking about doing this over the winter when i plan on putting a big bore kit on the scoot. if new mounts were fabricated you could also off-set the mounts to the side a little accommodate for a larger rear tire.
Cut it in half, add material in the middle, make sure it's welded straight. Get longer cables and relocate your shock.
scooterwerx wrote:not too much room for larger tires, i mocked up a ruckus wheel, 10x3.0, and theres no way. it has less than a 1/16" clearance on the case side, mine is barely tweaked and it rubbed. with the LV SP3, no way, stock muff maybe.
A spacer on the wheel hub nets more case clearance, modding the exhaust isn't so easy. You can space it out easily, but it won't connect to your bore anymore :P
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

yeah, at that point there is almost no point in stock exhaust. if your gonna customize everything that far, you gotta do the exhaust too. I think the hard part would be finding a wheel that fits with the right back spacing that works.
'62 125cc Honda cub
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

the stock ruckus wheel is stamped steel, when the front wheel on my brothers ruck got twisted, i put it in the press and straightened it, im sure the rear could be offset to clear the case.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

turtle13 wrote:all i have to say is if you make a longer motor mount, you need to document heavily the process, as well as share plans. i was thinking about doing this over the winter when i plan on putting a big bore kit on the scoot.
I do plan on doing the big bore as well. I'll take some photos of the mount ASAP and post them here to get some opinions.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No doubt a stamped wheel could be offset with Tools of Mass Destruction, but be careful there, pard. When the front and rear tires' contact patches lie on different lines, handling can get... uh... interesting. Harley dudes to this all the time to mount earth mover tires astern, then invariably regret it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH