How to disassemble the clutch to replace pads, alt procedure

The home of the FAQs and all the things you need to know to fix your Spree / Elite, outside the service manuals

Moderator: FAQ Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to disassemble the clutch to replace pads, alt procedure

Post by noiseguy »

Actually it's not that bad to take apart the clutch IF you have impact tools.

I goofed around with the compressors and couldn't get anything to work. The safety police won't like this, but I took it apart with no compressor tool.

Remove clutch. Get a 39mm impact socket (38mm will work in a pinch and is easier to find for some reason.) Place clutch on the ground and hit it with the impact wrench. When the nut's off you'll feel the clutch plate jump up. It will extend about 4", lightly, so pull up the impact tool slowly to release it.

From there, the clutch pads can be removed with a small screwdriver and some work. Follow the manual. Clean the posts and lightly grease them on reassembly.

To put the nut back on, push down on the clutch plate to full compression and hold with one hand on one side. The clutch plate will * to one side, exposing about 1 thread for the nut. Start the nut on the thread and SLOWLY release the clutch plate. If you did it right the nut will hold it. You can hand-wind it further at this point (recommended) or just blast it back on with the impact wrench.

THIS LAST STEP IS WHERE YOU WILL GET HURT IF YOU'RE CARELESS. During removal the impact gun absorbs the spring energy. When you're holding the clutch face down with one hand, it has the potential to fly up and hit you in the face. This operation is best done with 2 ppl if you don't have tools, but I've done it myself a few times now with no injuries yet.

Also, make sure you keep your hands clean of grease. You want no oil or grease on the clutch pads; contamination will ruin the pads.

Have fun.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products