The Texas Chainsaw Misfire

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

The Texas Chainsaw Misfire

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Ms. Wheelperson set me to work ( :shock: ) on our crop of 4 gnarly Mesquite trees in the front yard. I've owned a POS Craftsman 14" chainsaw since 1992 or so, and frankly never could get it to run quite right. That was before I had this Forum to edjama-cate me. In went the Sea Foam, off came the plastic cover over the carb. I had that puppy dialed in faster than an Amy Winehouse post-rehab relapse.

It's amazing what a good mixture will do for a bad saw! Got to hacking me some mesquite logs perfect for grillin'! This got me to thinking - I'll have this spare Dio engine to swap in purty soon with any luck. Hmmmm... :naughty:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Re: The Texas Chainsaw Misfire

Post by Videonut »

Nice i have an old saw that i will be working on soon too. i think mine is just an exhaust leak or something (never been cleaned) i found it in an old pump house and salvaged it. it does run but just ok.
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Wheelman-111 wrote: I'll have this spare Dio engine to swap in purty soon with any luck. Hmmmm...
ebay does have BBKs for chain saws, they may be lighter to use than carrying around a dio with a 14" bar (would you stay at 14 if you had dio power :?: ).
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Flea_Biskit
Spree
Spree

Post by Flea_Biskit »

i have a big ole 5 hp chain saw powered go kart fun fun :happy:
Ride it like you stole it'
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by elitedio »

Glad you got your Craftsman saw running. I believe that it may be a Poulan.

Once you get the engine tuned properly put your attention to the chain. I service mine on every tank. A few strokes on each cutter. I have removed the humps between the cutters. It really increases the cutting power but increases the risk for kickback. I also give my chain a lot of extra oil while in the vice.

We spend time at our farm home and heat it with wood.

Keep the blade away from you.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes, I believe you're correct on the Poulan-for-Craftsman. Thanks for the chain maintenance tips. Extra oil is good. However cutting mesquite is pretty hard on chains, and I have little patience for sharpening. When it loses bite, I go back to Sears and spend the $15 for a new one. That's one good thing about a 14" saw. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

I'm with Wheelman on this one. I have a 14 inch Stihl myself, I screwed with trying to sharpen my blade a couple of times but went to the local JD dealer this weekend and picked up a new chain. Screw sharpening, this new blade ROCKS!

I kicked around the idea on taking the dremel to the little humps between blades (think porting your boost port as you have done recently Wheelman) as elitedio recomends. Ultimately I though my little HP motor couldn't pull the extra cutting force, that and I will save my metal shaving time for Honda two strokes.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

A little off topic, triggered by the Dio chainsaw reference by Wheelman-11. It reminded me of a V8 powered saw I saw on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAI7-Qa2Io