1997 Sundiro Mantis

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

1997 Sundiro Mantis

Post by Dac »

i so i picked up a 1997 sundiro 'mantis 1' for one of my old off brand guitar i never play any more
the thing is s*** but if i can get it running i will sell it to my friend or keep it for a back up. i looked all around the internet for a help site or any site at all. no luck.i did find that sundiro was a parter company with honda how ever honda dealers will not touch them.and theres a number of things wrong with mine

1- the key slot it long gone leaving 6(could be less i never counted) wires just hanging. so i think i need a wiring guide. any one know if i could look at a honda wiring guide and find out what wires need to be were?

2- the hole thing covered it half a inch of dirt-grease. i couldn't find the carb. till i got a brush and knocked off some of the s***. there was no air filter so the carb. is nasty, im going to take it all apart and clean it but should i let it sit in gas or is there something better?

3- i took the spark plug out and kicked it once and it shoot oily watered down gas out. i took the head off and the piston was covered in this crap, took the jug off to find the crank case is half full of this s*** i took the piston off ( the carb and reed valve is already off) and flipped it over. most of the gunk came out but the crank is still rather covered.
my step dad wants to spray motor de-greaser in and, rise it out many times then blow it out with a air compressor but i hate to put water any were in my motor. any other good ideas?

4-it had an oiler that the hose led to the belt. *? not the carb. or crank case but the belt cover. i looked at the carb and theres no spots to plug it in there and i didnt see any spot on the crank case. what ? were? im so lost on how this works

thats all, any help?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

also i got looking at the piston today and realized 1/4 of my bottom ring is gone. any one know a number i can call to get parts for this?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
8650ccspree
Noob
Noob

Post by 8650ccspree »

I know were there is 2 parts ones for like 300obo they run but need body work and s*** like that in allen park if you want ill get you the link
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

im not to worried about the body. the body on mine is mostly gone.
sure post a link. 300 seems a bit much but its worth a look
1991--------Tomos Targa-
8650ccspree
Noob
Noob

Post by 8650ccspree »

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcy/400308706.html

i talked to him i had him talked down to 300
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

thanks for the link, i hate to pass on it but i just dont have the money to spend on a moped that im not sure anything about it
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

ok so i got some rings from karts are us yesterday night.
i cleaned the * out of everything and put it all back together. cleaned the carb. all out and put it back on,same with reeds, BBQ'ed the tail pipe and got it all back together.
the wiring is a F 'ing mess but i got it to were i get spark, so it should run. but after 5 minutes of kicking im not getting any were. however to be fair i should have played with it more but it got dark so ill do it tomorrow. its got a manual choke witch i flipped on and off for like 2 seconds. when starting this thing should i have it on? and should i give it gas if i have the choke on? i have never had to work with a manual choke.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
rickc
BMX
BMX

Post by rickc »

Dac wrote:its got a manual choke witch i flipped on and off for like 2 seconds. when starting this thing should i have it on? and should i give it gas if i have the choke on? i have never had to work with a manual choke.
Here's how it works on most engines with manual chokes: If the engine is cold (like it hasn't been run for a few hours or longer) then pull the choke all the way on and leave it there. Start the engine. For a few minutes while the engine warms up, leave the choke somewhere between 1/2 and full on (wherever it sounds like it's running smoothest). After the engine is warmed up, turn the choke off. If you leave the choke on while the engine is warm, it runs really rich and uses a lot more gas than it needs to. You might have to give it _some_ gas to get it to start even with the choke on, but not too much gas or it will flood and become very difficult to start. If the engine is already warm (just ran a little while ago) then the choke is not needed to start it again.
'86 Spree x 3
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

thanks for the help, i was thinking it was something like that but i wasn't sure. its about 1am here so ill play with it tomorrow, i think i might have flooded it when i was playing with it early
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

it runs like a thief fleeing the scene of a crime
so i stopped using the gas and just used the choke, it would start for brief 2-5 seconds then die. i noticed there was smoke coming from the pipe real bad but i also noticed were the pipe fits against the jug smoke came out. I took the pipe off and made a gasket out of cardboard. put it all back together and it run like s***.
played with the carb some and it runs like a dream. i had to take the tires off and re-patched some of the previous owners patches. that took way to long and i did bend the rim some but its ridable now.
i took it for a quick spin( no oil + no cooling fan = sort spin or fried ride) and it seemed good, shaky, but good. 0-10 seemed a bit slow but 10-30 blew me away. it was almost dark and i dont have a head light so i wasn't able to see top speed yet. but 31 was reachable no problem
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

well that was short lived. the kick starter doesnt work any more. it just grinds gears or skips.
since the starter fried 3000 miles ago its done. that really sucks.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

ok so i have heard of people before putting a screw or bolt of something like that in the clutch so its always engaged. why people do this on a belt driven moped is beyond me.

how ever mine is chain driven. i know i wont be able to idle. but would it be push-start-able ? its just sitting in my shed now so even if i cant idle and i have to push start it every time its but its better then just sitting there.

would it work?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

hey buddy, dont make fun of me. i am the person who started my mopeds with a screwdriver in the clutch. it works just fine. its really easy to start and once its running you just kick the screwdriver and go. it is good on a spree, but thas it. elite and aero engines are to big. haha you have a copy of my geely. i have a geely 50, it has the same engine, and almost same panels. finding parts is a b**** but i was able to do it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

ok thanks for the tip. but This is my Geely
geelys parts are hard to find but findable
my sundiro has nothing to do with geely. sundiros stopped being made a long time ago. there for the only way to get parts is to buy a hole another parts sundiro.
ps- this is the only picture i could find of one like mine with all its body
1991--------Tomos Targa-
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

Dac wrote:ok thanks for the tip. but This is my Geely
geelys parts are hard to find but findable
my sundiro has nothing to do with geely. sundiros stopped being made a long time ago. there for the only way to get parts is to buy a hole another parts sundiro.
ps- this is the only picture i could find of one like mine with all its body
Sweet!! That thing is sharp!