Pacific Northwest Area

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

Carnie
Elite
Elite

Pacific Northwest Area

Post by Carnie »

Hey all, I am wanting to get some first hand opinions and facts on life in the Pacific NE Area, such as climate, cost of renting a humble but nice apartment, job market, utilities, and of course the scenery. I've never visited and obviously plan to before I make any decisions but looking for some info from any members here first. I am 20 yrs old, finished my associates degree and have been saving for my bachelors. I lean a tad more to the conservative side, like to be casual though above formality and like the city life but have a heart for nature and camping. Looking forward to seeing if this could be where I plant my roots or if I'm completely mistaken! Thanks!
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Pacific Northwest Area

Post by Bear45-70 »

Can't tell you much about Seattle as I haven't lived there since before 1980. But from my front deck..............................

Winter

Spring

Early Summer

Summer

Up the road a piece.

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

If your interested in school here it would be wise to establish residency first, the out of state tuition is redonkulous! (Its an intentional money grab on those carpetbagging californians :smile:)

In my neck of the PNW (Southern Willamette valley in Oregon), lots of gray in the winter. People hear about the rain and just expect a high number of downpours, when really its a constant drizzle. I've seen many come up here in the summer/fall only to pack it back out in spring because they couldn't take the winter.

On the plus side, theres lots of National Forest, BLM land, and State parks to camp in.

Here in Eugene a nice 1 bedroom apartment costs ~$600/month. In Corvallis the same type of place is ~$500. Portland prices are pretty high if you're actually in the city, but I have some friends in the Beaverton/Tigard area (suburbs) and they aren't getting gouged.

Any particular area you're interested in? Or school/degree?
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Pacific Northwest Area

Post by Carnie »

No particular area, really. Unless I get an internship that I have applied for. Then I'd be in Seattle. Other than that, I'm pretty open. I like rain and I'm more of a winter person and very mild summer person so it seems fitting. But I'm sure there is more than meets the eye. Bear, what can you tell me about your region, in more detail?
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

I'm up north from Bear, by Everett/Lynnwood area, we had about a week of snow last winter. Enough to shut down everything, (except Boeing, where I work), for a day. It's been a rainy year so far, I've been told, I've put the old top down only a dozen or so times because of it.
Rent is nuts over here, a one bedroom will usually fetch $800 to $1000+, depending where you go. Gas is high $.10 to $.20+ higher than the east side of the state. Movies are expensive also, actually, expect to pay higher anything if you stay near Seattle proper.
Now if you don't mind the INW, Spokane can be a good town, I lived there two years, my wife grew up there. As for jobs, iffy.
I'm here until Boeing says goodbye to me, or another 12 years or so that I can collect my SS, a Boeing retirement, then move to Arizona for good.
Hope I gave you some insight.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

Spokane WA was nice. My eldest sis and her husband was there for a bit. Then she moved farther up north of Spokane (then she moved again). She's the one currently in Branson, MO.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I really can't help you with the rent thing as I haven't lived in the Seattle area since 1980. Been living in my own house for the last 30+ years. But then I live west of Seattle across the water (Puget Sound AKA an inland sea).
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

Portland OR / Vancouver WA is where I reside, and it is Beautiful here. Our winters get snowy about every 3 years, the summers 90-100s at the peak (Aug), and the rain that we get makes for green trees, hills, and clean water. Crime is not that bad here, schools are good, and economy along the northern I5 corridor is decent.

As far as riding Portland OR is extremely MoPed / Bicycle friendly and very cutting edge on the green-movement. I love this area, the art museum here has a free day (4th friday of the summer months between 5-8pm) and the culture is very trendy.
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Pacific Northwest Area

Post by Carnie »

Awesome, guys! Thanks for sharing! I'll be living in Seattle but I cant wait to get out and do some explorations in the surrounding areas. Now I just have to worry about my cost of living doubling and finding a decent job that can support my frugal lifestyle. Won't be moving till January so it's hard to line anything up at present.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

you need to earn at least 3 time more than rent to pay on a small studio apt. $400 -500 amonth.
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Pacific Northwest Area

Post by Carnie »

That's one thing that I'm worried about. I know wages are much higher there than where I live now but I'm worried I won't actually find a decent job before I eat through my savings.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Carnie wrote:That's one thing that I'm worried about. I know wages are much higher there than where I live now but I'm worried I won't actually find a decent job before I eat through my savings.
There are lots of places out there. The bus is great for commuting, keeps you from paying those parking fees. My wife rides the bus home from work right now, she used to ride it both ways to downtown Seattle and back every day. Like $3.50 each way or something like that.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Pacific Northwest Area

Post by Carnie »

zuphilius wrote:
There are lots of places out there. The bus is great for commuting, keeps you from paying those parking fees. My wife rides the bus home from work right now, she used to ride it both ways to downtown Seattle and back every day. Like $3.50 each way or something like that.
Yeah, I have looked a bit into the bus lines and am pleased with how many they are and relatively cheap. I also plan on investing in a decent bicycle since I can park it anywhere without payment. What are the scoot laws in light of parking and registration and such?

I am considering getting rid of my car and just having my bicycle, scoot and Dual Sport bike and relying on them, bus but have not set anything into stone.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Pacific Northwest Area

Post by Carnie »

Alright, my next question doesn't have to do much with Seattle but more so how to get there.

I will be leaving around the 3rd or 4th of January, so my question, if anyone could help me from experience, is what is the best route across the Rockies in the winter and what type of chains should I buy if any?
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Carnie wrote:Alright, my next question doesn't have to do much with Seattle but more so how to get there.

I will be leaving around the 3rd or 4th of January, so my question, if anyone could help me from experience, is what is the best route across the Rockies in the winter and what type of chains should I buy if any?

Good luck. Or go down south. Or, even leave now. You would have to go into New Mexico, Nevada. Even S Oregon and E Oregon can get ugly. Cascade Mountain Range here can close I90 very frequently. Bring a blanket!
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts