What is true... to have car fuel injectors cleaned or not?

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

You guys are smart cookies and a close friend took her 2004 Cadillac CTS (only 61k and she keeps it in showroom condition... seriously, it gets "dusted" in the garage) for an oil change and to have a Diagnostic check on a Check Engine light...
Diagnostic showed she needed a new gas cap ($25) ... the bill for both needs? $100ish... but wait, after 3 hours to find this out... $1100 of additional services were recommended ... not sure the entire list but it included a $142 amount to clean the fuel injectors...

whew, so the question I have is, Do fuel injectors require cleaning? or does one just periodically add an additive to the fuel to accomplish cleaning?

Thank you in advance, googling has arguments both ways and is confusing, but I "think" many years ago a mechanic shared with me this being a farce type of service. :jack:
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: What is true... to have car fuel injectors cleaned or no

Post by evilone »

donut wrote:Diagnostic showed she needed a new gas cap ($25)An hour diagnosis and a new gas cap...it was probably just the gas cap not tightened fully.

$1100 of additional services were recommended The classic upsell...I'm guessing she took it to the dealer

whew, so the question I have is, Do fuel injectors require cleaning? or does one just periodically add an additive to the fuel to accomplish cleaning?The fuel injector cleaning is a deep clean. If the car sits a lot then it's not a bad idea
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Post by odinxxix »

deep cleaning is a good idea. but you could try soaking them in injector cleaner. if that is they way you go then once they have been removed from the intake and fuel rail you will need to replace the o-rings. 9 times outta 10 you take a chunk off of them when removed. also when you put them back in make sure the intake is clean in the holes where injectors go and use some motor oil on the o-rings and becareful. atleast if its the base model it will only have 4 injectors. i hade to do all 8 on my 1996 sedan deville, but that was for different reasons. starter is under the intake on my caddy.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Getting to the injectors on a 3.6 northstar is hard and for 125$ they are just and only running a bottle of cleaner through it, more than likely some BG. Just use Chevron TECHRON Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner in your tank and you will be fine, this is what EVERYONE I know with a CTS uses. Do a search on it. Theres no way theyre removing the injectors and "deep cleaning" them for 125$. Ask the dealer yourself for sure.
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

Many thanks for the replies and info.
It turns out she had "some" of the list done yesterday, but time did not permit the injector cleaning (she plans on doing it next week)
I will have her read this thread and buy the recommended Chevron product ASAP.
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
Carnie
Elite
Elite

Post by Carnie »

I have found that mechanic garages are turning into a bunch of crooks. You can go in for an oil change and come out with them telling you your carburetor belt needs cleaned (I am well aware this is not a part) for $600. I personally run injector cleaner through my gas every 4-5 tanks and do as much work as I can myself. If something does warrant a professional, I tend to go to the small "momandpop" shops that actually care about good service quality opposed to adding greedy depth to their pockets. They're hard to find, but they are out there.
1987 Spree
1994 Elite SR
donut
Elite
Elite

Post by donut »

Carnie wrote:I have found that mechanic garages are turning into a bunch of crooks. You can go in for an oil change and come out with them telling you your carburetor belt needs cleaned (I am well aware this is not a part) for $600. I personally run injector cleaner through my gas every 4-5 tanks and do as much work as I can myself. If something does warrant a professional, I tend to go to the small "momandpop" shops that actually care about good service quality opposed to adding greedy depth to their pockets. They're hard to find, but they are out there.

boy I here ya...
this all happened at the caddy dealership, she thought it needed to be taken there for the check engine light diagnosis...
and we thought we had a local trustable shop...but that's another story....
'86 Aero 50 (NB50)

'01 Yamaha Jog Nextzone
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

You can go to autozone or similar car part shops. They will check the codes for free. Then when you take it to the shop, you'll know if they're honest.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

the fuel injector cleaner can used a spacial can that use shop air and connect to from fuel pressure test. BG fuel injector cleaners and a small can bk44 in the gas tank. :P

any of the injector has no continunuty. injector need to replaced! cost $100 buck a piece.
Last edited by veedubh20 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

Here is the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcVElZOfEmY

does clean the clog injectors.