Depressed over lack of Elite, forced to ride this for "fun"

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

johnny248
Elite
Elite

Depressed over lack of Elite, forced to ride this for "fun"

Post by johnny248 »

While my baby sits like this ...

In the garage while my engine is in Colorado being diagnosed and hopefully cured of its overheating problems, I've been forced to ride this for "fun"

Lol. You are looking at a pair of '01 Indian Kenetic mopeds. One has 51 miles on it, the other had 57. These belong to a friend who has had them sitting in the garage not running since '03. The fuel had turned into a nasty smelling mess with the consistency of honey or syrup. I pulled the carbs off, cleaned them all out, and was able to get them running. I also had to fabricate a couple of parts which were missing, but they are actually running pretty well now.

The fun is in quotations because I'm not really sure to describe the experience of riding these things lol a couple of words that DO NOT come to mind are fast, exciting, and cool. Hahaha they have little acceleration , but will do between 25-30 if the speedometer can be trusted. Talk about a totally different machine than the Elite. It vibrates at makes all sorts of interesting noises that come and go when you are ripping along. The pedals will kill you if you don't have them at the proper rotation angle while making turns, and if you need some power on tap for some reason, it just isn't happening.

On the plus side it does have an engine which makes it move. That is pretty cool. The ride really isn't too bad over bumps and whatnot. Brakes work pretty well.

My friend asked about doing some performance mod's which I looked into, and it appears that a lot of the perofrmance parts designed for a Vespa will work since it is essentially a clone of that engine. I just don't think this I a very good foundation to build from. Although there are some high speed clutches , and affordable exhaust etc, it just seems like one would be much better off spending a few hundred $ on a scooter or something like a hobbit and going from there.

Scooter withdraw brings on some desperation where you look for any sort of fix that is around. Lol god I hope I can get some good news on my scooter soon ha-ha.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
motormike

Re: Depressed over lack of Elite, forced to ride this for "f

Post by motormike »

...that was entertaining little muse for the day, thanx... :smile:
btw, had one... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Kinetics are the worst... Besides the brakes, best in the moped world.
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

motormike wrote:...that was entertaining little muse for the day, thanx... :smile:
btw, had one... :wink:
Lol really? I've never even heard of them until they were in my garage. My buddy originally told me he had a couple of '70s mopeds in the garage. I was hoping they were cool, lol I was kind of off.

Btw, after riding this thing I have no idea what the point of a moped is. What is the point of the pedals and drive chain? Why not just have the engine?

I tried to pedal this thing around and there is no way anyone could rise it like a bike. I don't get it.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Speaking of mopeds, this belongs to a friend of mine. Hope he doesn't mind me posting these, but I'm pretty sure it is a Hobbit. He has done a lot of work to it and it is really fast. I could see riding this...

~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

That hobbit is sweet
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:That hobbit is sweet
Ikr? It's hard to what it used to look like. I can't remember everything he has done to it, but I know it has bbk, stuffer, port work, variator, ignition, and so on. He said it will run in the 50s all day, and hit low 60s under the right conditions.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Nice you have to heavily mod them to make most mopeds look good but done right they are awesome. I've owned 4 different peds in the past so they have a special place in my heart
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:Nice you have to heavily mod them to make most mopeds look good but done right they are awesome. I've owned 4 different peds in the past so they have a special place in my heart
I'd like to find a cool one, I just don't know if I'd want to put all the work into to get it where I want it. Ive been looking online at a couple different Tomos peds that look pretty cool. I know they are not as bad * as the Hondas, but from what I've read they are decent quality, and there is some aftermarket support for them which is always nice. Plus you can pick up a good looking one for a couple-few hundred dollars.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Puch are the way to go for mopeds if you're going to put money in one.
Kinetics are fun for cheap tho.
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

That hobbit is nice, I picked one up a few weeks ago for a winter project. My last one did reliable 50's.
Here is my Puch Maxi. Its got all the goodies... runs mid 50's as well. Picked it up from original owner last year with 1200 miles. Extremely clean.
Attachments
ggg.jpg
ggg.jpg (99.88 KiB) Viewed 7654 times
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Is the Puch variated? What needs to be done to get those kind of speeds?
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Nope straight geared with engine/ rear wheel sprocket. A simple unmatched 70cc kit/ pipe/ re-jet will accomplish high 40's. Mine is fully case matched with roller crank, 70cc kit, 12v HPI ignition, lightened clutch, bell, stiff clutch springs, and MLM exhaust. I'm still running the stock carb. I've got all the parts for a crazy build this winter. It should move pretty good. :thumbsup:
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

These Ganesh mopeds I have here don't have reed valves (or at least I don't think they do) they just have a hole at the bottom of the crank case that the carb slips on to. I guess you could possibly bore that out a little bit, but I don't see any other way to put a larger carb on it. I'm really not impressed by it. I think my Toro 2T snowblower has a nicer looking engine :)
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
whitey
Spree
Spree

Post by whitey »

Hey Ben, what are your plans for your Puch? My first moped looked just like yours. I picked it up for $100 and have been throwing money at it ever since. I just got a gila for my za and some new treats clutches. I started this hobby with a SR50 and now have a few scoots and even more peds. They are all fun to ride and work on but the peds can be a lot cheaper to buy and build. The pedals are only meant for starting the bike not actually getting you to the bar. Those Vespa or kinetics are weird! They only have three cylinder studs and the crank has a lobe or notch on it to pump the gas charge into the transfers. I have a few Hobbits and they are very compatible with scooter parts. I think everybody should have a ped or two. There are moped rallys all summer here in Michigan. If I want to get the adrenalin racing I ride one of my scooters(if I can find one that's not blown up) but if I want to cruise down town or ride to the beach I jump on a ped. Have fun whatever your riding and don't forget the helmet!
01 Honda Elite S 120cc Taida H20
78 Honda Hobbit Athena
78 Honda Express/Hobbit Stage6/Athena LC 70
00 Gilera Runner PM Tuning 172
09 Aprillia SR50 Malossi Team MHR
81 Puch ZA50 Polini
71 CT70 Blue
79 Z50 Red