New Workspace

Want to discuss non-Honda scooter related items? Post them here.

Moderator: Moderator

adark248
Elite
Elite

New Workspace

Post by adark248 »

Cleaned out the stuff from the screen printing business I used to run out of my house today. So I had my workbench all naked and useless. I moved it out in the garage and set up a scooter shop, backed my Aero and the new Spree right into the little nook there. I brought a radio out, hooked up my iPhone and wrenched scooters all day. * amazing. At one point I was working on both carbs at the same time. Felt like a total pro :mrgreen: Thought you guys might like to see the set up.

Any words of advice on how to set up a work space? I'd also like to see other people's pics. One thing I don't like is that the chair is a little low to work at the bench, and a little high to work on the scooters. My back hurts a little.

1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Re: New Workspace

Post by turtle13 »

this totally makes me jealous... we don't close on our house till the end of the month... I can't wait to have a garage and an actual indoor place for the scoot to live.
soooooo tired of apartment living.
got rid of screen printing equip? don't have a 4 color press you wanna get rid of?
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

turtle13 wrote:don't have a 4 color press you wanna get rid of?
Unfortunately no I don't. I never bit the bullet and bought one. Too expensive. I was doing mostly single color by hand, eyeballin' every print, lol. I have a box with some used Speedball inks, some squeegees and two huge, really nice screens that only got used like 3 times. Oh and also a hand built exposure unit with like 8 bulbs (one set UV and one set White Blacklights, which sounds confusing :? )

Thanks for being jealous, that makes me feel even better about it.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

adark248 wrote: Any words of advice on how to set up a work space? I'd also like to see other people's pics. One thing I don't like is that the chair is a little low to work at the bench, and a little high to work on the scooters. My back hurts a little.
Build a table to set your bikes on top. You'll be able to get under it a bit easier, and you can sit in your chair and work perfectly.

I may take pictures of my work space, but it is absolutely horrible. You don't know what I would do (murder for hire most likely) to have a garage.
Last week I had 2 bikes (my 87 S and a friends 01 S) both stripped down to bare frame, just swapping parts around to diagnose my bike. All in my driveway full of crap, with my dog knocking everything over (and getting hair EVERYWHERE), and trying to avoid the rain under my useless 20x10 tarp (Theres probably a 15x6 dry area, with even less usable space).
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

Build a table to set your bikes on top. You'll be able to get under it a bit easier, and you can sit in your chair and work perfectly.
this is going to be one of the first things i am going to do. Well i say that now, but then im sure once we move in the "honey do" list will start piling up fast...
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Get a motorcycle lift used (see them for $60 all the time) or build a small 1'-2' table to support the bike. Get a roll-around seat from Sears and a 24" countertop chair to replace the substandard 18" table chair. Otherwise looks good!
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Excellent suggestions. I always assumed lifts would be really expensive. I'm taking out a custom desk I built pretty soon so maybe I'll mod that into a ramp and low table at a 90 degree angle so the space feels like it's own area apart from the garage and I can back bikes right up to it. I forgot to mention the best part: with the bikes backed in I can fire them up and fly out of the garage and down the driveway Batman style :lol:
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

noiseguy wrote:Get a motorcycle lift used (see them for $60 all the time) or build a small 1'-2' table to support the bike. Get a roll-around seat from Sears and a 24" countertop chair to replace the substandard 18" table chair. Otherwise looks good!
man, i wish i had your craigslist... here in KC they go for consistently 300 and up.
'62 125cc Honda cub
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'm not talking about a full service lift. I'm talking about the manual-hydraulic lifts that Harley guys use. Sears sold them new for a time for around 60 (marked down, now I see they're back up to 120), H-F carries them now as well. You can use these to pick up scoots a couple feet off the ground to make working on them easier. Some spare 2x4 chunks work well as frame blocks.

This is the seat I'm referring to. 25 new.

I've had both these for years and they've worked great. The lift can be tricky, but it's more portable/storable than a short table and smaller/cheaper than a full lift.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

Here's my nightly game of "find the elite"

Here's my stand, it leaves a 6" strip to set down nuts/bolts on each side. It supports my moped with me sitting on it, and it can get as dirty as I want.

I can't complain. It stays decently dry, I can leave parts around without anyone in my house disturbing them, I have the 2 blue monsters to jump on when my elite gives me problems.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

A milkcrate works well as a center stand. Has to be the real thing, though, not the thin plastic knockoffs that Target sells for putting files and books in.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

noiseguy wrote:A milkcrate works well as a center stand. Has to be the real thing, though, not the thin plastic knockoffs that Target sells for putting files and books in.
How do ya get ahold of one?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

know a milkman or steal one from the back of am pm...
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

aside from stealing one, there are a multitude of legal problems with utilizing milkcrates... many are printed with warnings that using them for a purpose other than their intention when manufactured is against the law... I kid you not.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

And i heard they are really starting to crack down on any illegal milk crate activities. J/K :lol:
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.