Question about michigan scooters

Scooter clubs section. Not Honda-specific, but hey, you're here so you probably already own at least one. See board for posting details.

Moderator: Moderator

Mbrown1123
Noob
Noob

Question about michigan scooters

Post by Mbrown1123 »

Ok I'm Still new here, Ive been looking into buying a 150cc Scooter, I have been doing my research and from what I understand In Michigan anything under 50cc requires being at least 15 but anything over that is considered a motorcycle. what i was wondering is if i buy this 150cc scooter can i licence it as a motorcycle or is there any special set up issues that it has to have. like light lication, licence plate, etc. like i said i'm still new and this will be the second scooter that i will own, the other is a 50cc but now i'm moving up in the world and just wondered. :roll: :lol:
zonker1984
BMX
BMX

Post by zonker1984 »

By my understanding, it's treated exactly the same as a motorcycle.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

yeah i would to b/c the elite 150s only do like 80mph as is and the elite 80 do 50-60 and u can get a 50cc elite doin that.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
scotty
Noob
Noob

Post by scotty »

You have it right. In Michigan, anything 50cc and over is considered a motorcycle. This means that you need Michigan motorcycle license plates, no-fault insurance, and you need to ware a helmet. You will also need a cycle endorsement on your drivers license just like to ride a motorcycle. That means you need to take the motorcycle written test and the motorcycle road test.
If I remember right, plates are like $35 a year, and insurance is something like $140 ish if you have a good driving record and you only insure for liability.
Seems like it should be easier, doesn't it.
Scotty
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

scotty wrote:You have it right. In Michigan, anything 50cc and over is considered a motorcycle. This means that you need Michigan motorcycle license plates, no-fault insurance, and you need to ware a helmet. You will also need a cycle endorsement on your drivers license just like to ride a motorcycle. That means you need to take the motorcycle written test and the motorcycle road test.
If I remember right, plates are like $35 a year, and insurance is something like $140 ish if you have a good driving record and you only insure for liability.
Seems like it should be easier, doesn't it.
Scotty
It keeps rich morons form buying crotch rockets and killing themselves along with other people on the road.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
DrZ34
Goped
Goped

Post by DrZ34 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote: It keeps rich morons form buying crotch rockets and killing themselves along with other people on the road.
maybe in mich, but out here those A-holes still find a way to buy thier way in
Green for tha' money gold 4 tha honeys :roll:
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

lol well my zuma is consider a motercycle but the delear that i bought it from got is as a moped
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
DELETED

FFXI GIL good! !

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Noiseguy, i cant get the post in the Michigan Moped Mafia category, looks like you will have to take care of this spam.

SPAM BOT
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.